Door Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Door Removal

My outer door handle on the rear driver is damaged to the point that it cannot open the door. Unfortunately, the child safety lock is also on which makes the interior handle useless and the door un-open-able. Only choice I see is to take the door off at the hinge. Only info I find on YouTube is fixing doors that won't close, doors that open with only one of the handles, & how to remove the interior panel. YouTube also has videos on removing car doors but it's the process of opening the door the normal way and just taking it off. My concern is as heavy as the door is, even if I secure the door from falling after undoing the bolts, WILL the door just easily slide off at the door latch? With that rubber hose there routing the electrical from the frame to door, I know I can't pull it open too wide and any wrestling or jarring due to its weight may damage the latch or frame.

Taking it to a shop would be pointless IMO because they can will either do my idea which I'm more than capable of doing or rip out the interior panel to get to the mechanism which I can also do.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Removing the door is a moot point. That wont unlock the door.

Best option is to remove the rear seat or seats so you can remove the door panel. Probably your best option.
The following users liked this post:
ciscopath (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Never tried, but lower window and use stiff thin metal blade to see if the child lock can be moved.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
Best option is to remove the rear seat or seats so you can remove the door panel.

After inspection, removing the entire panel is a no-go. In the photo, you can see the outer trim around the panel. You can't see that trim when the door is closed because it's wedged between the door and body frame so using gorilla strength, I could pull the panel off but chances are extremely good I'd damage it in the process.

I was able to remove the screws in the inner door handle hole and seperate the top of the panel from the door. To play it safe, I'm going to remove the rear passenger panel and feel around for the rod connected to the outer handle. Once I get the hang of it, I will VEEEEEEEERY carefully and slowly pull back the panel far enough to wedge my hand in, hopefully without slitting my wrist on the metal in the door.
Attached Thumbnails Door Removal-panel.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,694 Likes on 6,708 Posts
Take a Dremel to the outside handle and go to town and then buy a new one
Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
To gain some space between the panel and the door frame (car side) try removing the door opening weather strip/trim. That is what is up against the door panel and that might be enough for you to pop the clips out/off. Once the surround/edges are off you need to release the top edge by going up with the whole door panel to get it off the door.

There's nothing easy about this but it has to be done. Might have to compromise/sacrafice the door panel. That's just how it is.

Last edited by 01acls; 03-14-2016 at 01:00 AM.