DIY A-105: Power Steering Whine fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just changed mine out and no more noise, this is a great forum. had two minor fixes for two major headaches
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
bump
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear

Thumbs up O-ring Power Steering Inlet Fixed 2005 TL whining sound

Just want to the thank this forum for posting this information!

I went to my Acura dealer last week after temperature went down to single digits and the noise from P/S started in my car. The service rep I talked to said they were replacing a lot of P/S pumps but he wasn't aware of this O-Ring issue. He looked it up for me however, and sure enough found Service Bulletin 07-060 from April 3, 2009. They would have fixed it for $75 but I changed it myself.

This has completely eliminated the cold start noise. There was a little residual noise at first when actually turning the wheels, which has since went away, that was due I believe to air bubble still in system since I didn't drain the fluid.

I would note that on my 2005 TL there is very little space around the bolt, and 10mm wrench with built in ratchet on one side was actually too wide to get to the bolt. Only the most basic wrench will do.

Thanks again for saving me the price of a new pump (at least for now...)!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As everyone else has said these forums are great for finding fixes that stealerships will charge you ridiculously for! Mine started whining yesterday after sitting outside in 3 degree weather all day. It was whining again today, and noticed that the whine gets louder when I turn the wheel at a dead stop, but goes away after my 45 minute drive home from work. Do you guys think it's likely to be the pump or just the o-ring? Also, I'm at about 99,200 miles as of this afternoon.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^ o ring
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 AM
3rd Gear

I hear your question given mileage on the car. But nothing much to lose if you change the O-Ring and end up needing a pump later. if there is a real problem with the pump however, it doesn't get better after driving it more. Another check you can do is open the P/S fluid reservoir and shine a flashlight into the fluid. If air is flowing into the system, making the whine, then you will see lots of fine little bubbles in the fluid. If fluid is really low, then you may have a leak somewhere which is a different problem, but this wouldn't get better by driving it more or having the car warm up.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Fluid level in the reservoir will be high when the car is turned off because the o-ring allows air into the suction line which causes all the fluid in the line to back up into the reservoir. When you start the car, the excess fluid is sucked out of the reservoir and back into the system, and the air in the suction line ends up as foam in the fluid. This can make it difficult to read exactly where the fluid level is. I guess my point is that if there is air in the reservoir after you shut off the engine, replace the o-ring.

I did this on my Sisters RSC, my TL and my wifes Pilot, and it cured all 3 power steering problems.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

I picked up my 2005 tl 3 weeks ago in California. Drove it around down there for a couple of weeks, no problems. Drove it 1200 miles to Washington without a hitch. Then, very next morning, 40 degrees and damp outside,started up the car and the noise started. It has been that way for 2 weeks now, goes away after a couple of miles,after warming up I presume.

Having studied this thread, I just started the vehicle and noticed a change in the tone of the sound when turning the wheel. Also, I checked the PS reservoir before and after starting the vehicle. The ps fluid in the reservoir went from flat to frothy.

one more note, my p/s fluid is right on the "low" marker

I am visiting Acura in Tukwila on Monday to have the p/s hose replaced under the service recall. At that time I will request that they "throw in" the red o ring replacement. I will update you on Tuesday.

Regarding Rockstar's non p/s problem. Did we establish if Rockstars noise goes away after warm up, or is it continuous?

Also, sorry if a dumb question, but will dealer replace the P/S fluid as part of the free recall?

Many thanks to Majofo and everyone else who has contributed here.

One more note, my p/s fluid is right at the "low" mark on the reservoir

Last edited by nearpost; 02-04-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: extra point to make and other
Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 AM
5th Gear

I am new and loving the forums. Great information. Just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I'm sure it has saved me a lot of money already.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nearpost
I picked up my 2005 tl 3 weeks ago in California. Drove it around down there for a couple of weeks, no problems. Drove it 1200 miles to Washington without a hitch. Then, very next morning, 40 degrees and damp outside,started up the car and the noise started. It has been that way for 2 weeks now, goes away after a couple of miles,after warming up I presume.

Having studied this thread, I just started the vehicle and noticed a change in the tone of the sound when turning the wheel. Also, I checked the PS reservoir before and after starting the vehicle. The ps fluid in the reservoir went from flat to frothy.

one more note, my p/s fluid is right on the "low" marker

I am visiting Acura in Tukwila on Monday to have the p/s hose replaced under the service recall. At that time I will request that they "throw in" the red o ring replacement. I will update you on Tuesday.

Regarding Rockstar's non p/s problem. Did we establish if Rockstars noise goes away after warm up, or is it continuous?

Also, sorry if a dumb question, but will dealer replace the P/S fluid as part of the free recall?

Many thanks to Majofo and everyone else who has contributed here.

One more note, my p/s fluid is right at the "low" mark on the reservoir
Dealer replaced the hose noted in the recall letter, and refilled my p/s fluid. It had fallen just below "low", and may have been leaking. They declined to replace the red o ring discussed in this thread.
At this stage I am not certain if I have an o ring problem, because I heard no noise this morning when I started the vehicle. It could be that the noise was simply due to my p/s fluid being 1/4 inch below the minimum marker on the reservoir. Of course non of this explains the frothiness I observed in my reservoir last week.

This morning I dropped the car off at the body shop (another tale of woe for another thread). They also do mechanical, and will be changing my oil. I have asked them to check the vehicle out for p/s leaks, as the dealership did not comment on that when they changed the hose.

I will update later.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Dealer replaced the hose noted in the recall letter, and refilled my p/s fluid. It had fallen just below "low", and may have been leaking. They declined to replace the red o ring discussed in this thread.
At this stage I am not certain if I have an o ring problem, because I heard no noise this morning when I started the vehicle. It could be that the noise was simply due to my p/s fluid being 1/4 inch below the minimum marker on the reservoir. Of course non of this explains the frothiness I observed in my reservoir last week.

This morning I dropped the car off at the body shop (another tale of woe for another thread). They also do mechanical, and will be changing my oil. I have asked them to check the vehicle out for p/s leaks, as the dealership did not comment on that when they changed the hose.

I will update later.
The frothiness and noise go hand in hand. The fluid gets airated from air pulling past the bad O-ring on the suction side which causes the frothy fluid and noise. I *thought* the dealer was supposed to replace that O-ring. It's very surprising considrering it's $.50 and less than 5 minutes to replace. If it's low enough it can definitely cause the same symptoms as a bad O-ring.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
...They declined to replace the red o ring discussed in this thread....
That's total BS. A new inlet O-ring is included with the TSB kit and step 10 of the TSB (08-016) directs them to replace it. They're also supposed to put brand new PS fluid in, not recycle the old. If your fluid is darkened, then they screwed you on that as well. If they wouldn't replace a $0.50 O-ring (when they had to already have the hose fitting disconnected anyhow), I wonder what else they took short cuts on? I'd take it back to them and insist they do it right. I'd also notify the district manager.

PARTS INFORMATION
Power Steering Feed Hose Kit:
2004 TLs: P/N 06535-SEP-305
2005–06 TLs with M/T: P/N 06535-SEP-305
2005–06 TLs with A/T: P/N 06535-SEP-306
2007–08 TLs with A/T: P/N 06535-SEP-307
(Contains P/S feed hose, P/S pressure switch
O-ring, P/S pump inlet O-ring, and all bolts, nuts,
and gaskets needed for the repair.)

10. Replace the P/S pump inlet joint O-ring:
• Remove the inlet joint from the pump (one bolt).
• Remove the O-ring from the inlet joint.
Lubricate a new O-ring with clean P/S fluid, then
install it on the end of the joint.

• Reinstall the inlet joint,

Go to this link and follow the instructions. Then scroll down to the TSB link, print it out and take it in with you:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Thanks I Hate Cars, and a special thanks to nfn squared!!!.

I read your posts 5 minutes ago, and got straight on to acura. My contact had gone home for the day, so I spoke to another service rep. This rep assured me that the O ring would have been replaced.

He even knew exactly which o ring was the culprit.

I can only assume that yesterday, when I pointed out to the first service rep, the o ring I wanted changed, (I even produced that handy picture from page 2 of this thread), he wasn't listening to me, or did not know what was in the kit that would be used.

No wonder she started up nice and quiet today. nfn squared, I was about to run out to the car and check the color of the P/S fluid, but forgot I dropped it off at the body shop earlier, so I will check it's condition when I get the car back. At this stage I am willing to bet they did pour in brand new fluid, as the mechanic is not the one at fault here. Car came back nicely detailed too!

edit:

Ha! just looked on the free of charge receipt. 2 bottles of power steering fluid were used (total 24 oz). Presumably that is sufficient to fill an empty system.

Last edited by nearpost; 02-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Some service writers aren't worth the ink they use to write with.. I'd bet half of them don't know shit about cars.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
...Ha! just looked on the free of charge receipt. 2 bottles of power steering fluid were used (total 24 oz). Presumably that is sufficient to fill an empty system.
The only thing that guarantees is that they charged Acura for 2 bottles of fluid (they will get $$ from Acura)...

The TSB allows for up to three 12 oz bottles of PS fluid.

There have been cases where dealerships invoiced Acura for all 3 bottles of PS fluid, but put the old fluid back in and just pocketed the $$. You should still check your fluid and not rely on the invoice. Sounds like so far you're a victim of service department cluelessness. Make sure you're not also a victim of greed....
Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

will do nfnsquared. Update next week
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Advanced

Thank you for the DIY, 69 cent + my free labour.
Before the fix, it whines and the steering is freaking heavy when the wheel is not rolling, after the fix, it is significantly lighter, but still not as light as original, any thought?
Does changing out the old fluid helps, purge any possible air in the system?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
$1.06 and 3 minutes later, no more noise!!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Racer

Fixed it for me too!!! Love these forums!! Thanks to Majofo for posting this one up for us!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok so i just changed to the orange o-ring, since my car is at a complete cold startup it doesn't whine while idling, but it does slightly whine when I turn the wheel.

So my question is, is it supposed to stop the whine instantly right after it's replaced, or does it take a little while? I will wait until tomorrow to see what the cold start up sounds like. Hopefully it won't be as loud as before... I also hope I don't have to change my PS pump =/
Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

I replaced the o ring. started the car, whine went away in a few seconds. Thanks for the great write up.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Update, started the carthis morning, no whine. What a great and efficient fix. And CHEAP! Thanks to everyone!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

got my car back from the bodyshop last week. I checked the power steering fluid, and it looks pretty clean, sorry I can't be more precise. Run's great though, no whining in the morning.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear

thanks i just bought an 05 wdp tl and it has this problem in the morning. thnx!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
8th Gear

replaced the O-ring, problem fixed, no more noise. THANKS!!!!
The o-ring cost me $2 at dealer..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car started to whine last week. Searched this forum and found this thread. Went to the Honda dealer for the o-ring, $1.04. Changed the o-ring this weekend, noise is gone. Thanks for a great DIY.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would appreciate some help diagnosing my problem. I have the famous power steering whine that is going around. Starts up on cold days (very loudly) and goes away as the engine warms up.

Car went in to a local mechanic recently for other work. I provided the orange Honda o-ring and the instructions on page 1 of this thread. He claimed to make the switch... no change. Honest guy, no reason to doubt him.

Checked a couple days later and the power steering fluid was at the low level (don't think mechanic added to it). Bought Honda fluid and filled it to the top line last night. This morning... whine is still there.

There is no fluid noticeable or leaking around the black elbow where the o-ring goes. I think the fluid may be leaking (somewhere), but it's hard to tell as it is winter here and I have no garage.

When I turn the engine on, little bubble appear in the fluid from the inlet on the right (facing the engine).

I have not been able to take bolt off to double check the o-ring. Need to borrow the proper tool from a friend. Don't have 10 mm wrench handy.

Anyone have thoughts on what they think the diagnosis is? Where else should I check for leaks and what is the best way to do so?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i think it might be a good idea, spend about $50 bucks and do a flush and check the o-ring your self.

i followed this guide to flush my car
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/104-diy-power-steering-fluid-flush-761094/

side note, buy 3 bottles of honda fluid. and you can get the rest of the supplies at home depot.

the link list it, but it will be good to have a bucket, duck tape and some hose.

first i did the flush, while the power steering system was empty i changed the o-ring. the one i took out shot out somewhere (i hope it didnt shot back in, but i doubt that was possible).

then i plugged everything back in and finished the 2nd part of the that link which tells you how to properly refill the power steering system.

my noise is gone.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lowride47
dealer wanted 475.00 for this repair new pump ,after reading this info he replaced the ring at my request!!! iwas still stuck with a $95 diagnostic fee!!!! for other issues he trumped up never going there again!!!!!!thanx for the diy info im .just paid of my 2005 wdp tl.dealer raylaks acura amherst ny
wow steelerships are loosing their credibility
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I did the amsoil power steering fluid change following the repair manual and then I did the o-ring. I don't think that it was ever changed before by looking at the fluid, it was black. And now steering is smooth as butter. I can't believe it's not butter haha
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by redrunner
Just want to the thank this forum for posting this information!

I would note that on my 2005 TL there is very little space around the bolt, and 10mm wrench with built in ratchet on one side was actually too wide to get to the bolt. Only the most basic wrench will do.
Like everyone else I was experiencing the whining at start up and turning...basically in any degree weather but more so under <30. This seemed to work for everyone else so I tried and I'm happy to report that the car started with no squeal... But like redrunner stated the space is TIGHT! It took me awhile to loosen the nut then I lost it when putting it back. I had to go to Lowes to get a new nut. I now have to get a thinner wrench to tighten it more. But besides that, its a simple and easy fix and you cant imagine how good it feels to get rid of that whine!

Thanks acurazine!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
7th Gear

Orange ring

Took me all of ten mins, saved me the $280 I was going to pay to replace the steering pump. Thanks AZ
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
~*~

Thanks for posting! Now that the weather's warming up in NY...I'm not hearing this anymore. The stealership certainly wouldn't have done anything for me, despite being under warranty. They need to "experience" it all for themselves!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
6th Gear

Wink

Thx Majofo!! Very professional DIY. I can't believe it was just a $3 o-ring, causing that whine. Great DIY!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
so to verify that it the O-ring is the culprit just open up the PS and look for bubbles? no bubbles then it's not the O-ring?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
does anyone have a video of the noise?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
7th Gear

What is a PS pump leak? How does it happen for 54000 mi car?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM

DIY A-105: Power Steering Whine fix-ank5n.png
Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by TLMunchkin37
Thanks for posting! Now that the weather's warming up in NY...I'm not hearing this anymore. The stealership certainly wouldn't have done anything for me, despite being under warranty. They need to "experience" it all for themselves!
How you doin?

Originally Posted by con5tant
does anyone have a video of the noise?
like a cat caught in a vice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy0twsphy40

VIDEO DIY

note: It won't always cause PSF to spill out. Seems like his PSF is old and overfilled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-_qp1y4yc

Originally Posted by Sutatami1110
What is a PS pump leak? How does it happen for 54000 mi car?

PS = Power Steering, F = Fluid

This is not a mileage issue. It's an air leak related to the hardening of the original o-ring (loses elasticity). PSF leak is related to the high pressure PS hose recall or a bad PS Pump / seal.
The following users liked this post:
moreace (09-27-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I will be attempting this today. I will post video.

Quick Reply: DIY A-105: Power Steering Whine fix