AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   DIY A-105: Power Steering Whine fix (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/)

TLBoy 01-03-2014 06:58 PM

Thanks, MajoFo.

I'm not very good with cars, but was able to follow your instructions to replace the O-ring.

This is the drawing of the Power Steering pump. It helped me to visualize the whole assembly. The O-ring ($1.12) in question is part 13 x 1.9 O-ring.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eu..._107297368.gif

Another dealership (Stevens Creek Acura) wanted $180 to just diagnose the problem (even after I told them I know it's the O-ring).

You saved me a lot of :2cents:! Thanks again!

leo221 01-03-2014 07:22 PM

very funny this thread gets bumped up a lot during winter times and kinda dies in the summer.

Minikg134 01-04-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TLBoy (Post 14814473)
Thanks, MajoFo.

I'm not very good with cars, but was able to follow your instructions to replace the O-ring.

This is the drawing of the Power Steering pump. It helped me to visualize the whole assembly. The O-ring ($1.12) in question is part 13 x 1.9 O-ring.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eu..._107297368.gif

Another dealership (Stevens Creek Acura) wanted $180 to just diagnose the problem (even after I told them I know it's the O-ring).

You saved me a lot of :2cents:! Thanks again!

Where is the pump located?

jajam00 01-04-2014 10:24 AM

Excellent thread and DIY definitely saved me a buck instead of using not-so-user friendly dealer.

black89 01-08-2014 01:51 PM

My GF 07 TL-S just started making whining on start up. Acura wanted $130 for inspection. I had just got her to take it in to get the hose recal fix done so I said screw that verify you didn't mess anything up with the hose install. I'm not paying anything. He called me back and said he inspected it for free (my gf brought the car in while I was at work) and the hose was fine but the power steering pump needed replaced $390.

Just bought the oring hope that's it. If not I will replace the pump myself.

RJANACONDA 01-09-2014 01:14 PM

just did this fix I originally thought the whine was the timing belt as it started for me around the same time the belt was coming due to be changed and then the belt got changed and the noise went away. till it got cold again...

youraway 01-10-2014 05:42 PM

My 06 started groaning as these low temperatures hit Florida. Just checked with Acura on the PS hose Recall ID 70429 and the expansion of the recall with 07V551. They said my VIN had already been serviced but they wanted to do diagnostics. I can say they were very prompt concerning the recall. Needless to say with this excellent post, I'll fix it myself.

coykiam 01-13-2014 10:21 AM

wow! i thought my pump was going...currently sitting at 85k miles. Did the O-ring swap into the red one and the car has quiet down. Also did the "turkey baster" method but used a suction pump I bought cheaply from Harbor Freight. Going to observe how my car will be in the next few days.

youraway 01-13-2014 02:14 PM

Purchased the "O" ring from the dealer for 82 cents and replaced it in 20 minutes. It was really easy. I used a short 10 mm box end wrench. I placed a shop towel under the bolt to catch and leaking fluid and the bolt if I dropped it. The hardest part was getting the bolt back in and not cross threaded. Its a tight spot but still an easy fix. Started the car and the groan is gone! As for the dealer they were great. They confirmed the O ring was most likely the cause and said they would replace it for $53. Not that sounds high, but not really since they are backing up their work. They also went o to say they would replace the O ring and flush the system for about $125. I also believe that's not bad since they are guaranteeing the repair. Bottom line is I believe my dealer was upfront and honest. The parts department also briefed me on how to replace the O ring and suggested I change the fluid which I did ($4 a bottle).

tgreen 01-20-2014 12:29 PM

Thanks for the DIY. I used it and it was relatively easy. A couple things I learned while doing the work:
  1. Getting to the 10mm bolt that holds the oring is difficult due to the little space accessing it. A swivel socket would have helped. I ended up waiting for things to cool down, then took a midget 12 pt 10mm socket and slid it through the timing belt to connect with the bolt at 90 degrees, then had 20 degrees of rotation or so to very slowly remove that guy. Tight space.
  2. My power steering fluid was lower than I thought. The fluid burned the plastic in the reservoir black, making it look like it was at a level that was within the upper and lower range, but it was actually lower. I replaced the reservoir for $34 in parts. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n...116_205725.jpg

Jase13 01-20-2014 06:50 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread yet and it is too long for me to look through it but there are two O-rings on the pump. I recommend changing both. I changed both O-rings and changed the fluid. $12 later, Power steering sounds and feels like new. :thumbsup:

MekoTL 01-26-2014 04:26 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to those who have participated in this thread and to the OP. I just did the change myself. We've been seeing temps in the low 10's when this started cropping up on me.

'07 TL Base/Nav

manhatton 01-27-2014 09:12 AM

Another thanks to Majofo!

abnerbonilla 01-31-2014 01:11 PM

I have an 05 Acura TL and I replaced both O rings and I am still getting the whining noise. It's very annoying so do you guys have any idea what else I could do, or what it could be? Thanks.

MandoTL 01-31-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by abnerbonilla (Post 14856917)
I have an 05 Acura TL and I replaced both O rings and I am still getting the whining noise. It's very annoying so do you guys have any idea what else I could do, or what it could be? Thanks.

Is there air bubbles appearing in the PS tank? Since I was ordering a new o-ring, I decided to just change out all seals and o-rings inside the PS unit with the help of my uncle.

About 6-7 rings/seals total costing about $19-20 bucks, when I got them replaced I compared all rings and sure enough two of the largest seals inside were flat and brittle allowing air into the system and a leak.

Now no whine at all and no more leak. So it may not be just the o-ring but the seals inside the unit.

abnerbonilla 01-31-2014 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MandoTL (Post 14857214)
Is there air bubbles appearing in the PS tank? Since I was ordering a new o-ring, I decided to just change out all seals and o-rings inside the PS unit with the help of my uncle.

About 6-7 rings/seals total costing about $19-20 bucks, when I got them replaced I compared all rings and sure enough two of the largest seals inside were flat and brittle allowing air into the system and a leak.

Now no whine at all and no more leak. So it may not be just the o-ring but the seals inside the unit.

There are no air bubbles in my PS tank. Lol any other leads? Or should I still try to change out all the seals and O-rings?

Will Y. 01-31-2014 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by abnerbonilla (Post 14856917)

If you just replaced the O-rings today, drive the car for a couple of days to make sure any remaining air has been purged from the PS system. A few members continued to experience noise the next day or two after changing O-rings, particularly in cold weather, before the whining stopped.

If it has been more than four days since the O-ring change and you've driven the car each day, then consider changing all the pump rings & seals.

Welcome to AZ.

MandoTL 01-31-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y. (Post 14857534)
If you just replaced the O-rings today, drive the car for a couple of days to make sure any remaining air has been purged from the PS system. A few members continued to experience noise the next day or two after changing O-rings, particularly in cold weather, before the whining stopped.

If it has been more than four days since the O-ring change and you've driven the car each day, then consider changing all the pump rings & seals.

Welcome to AZ.

This^

Originally Posted by abnerbonilla (Post 14857517)
There are no air bubbles in my PS tank. Lol any other leads? Or should I still try to change out all the seals and O-rings?

Its been so long since I changed out all my seals and o-rings that when we put everything back together my uncle went from side to side to get any air that might have got into the system. So drive it around abnerbonilla. Then consider changing all seals.

Fixed my whine and leak, saved me from buying a whole new PS pump. Well worth $20 bucks to order all rings.

Link to changing seals: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841134

stridernj 01-31-2014 10:45 PM

Power Steering Whine fixed

Thanks for posting this solution - it save me $548.25. I called two Acura dealers and they were both happy to replace my unit for $549. I read this thread and bought the O ring for 75 cents - problem solved. thanks.

MaggaMan 02-16-2014 04:45 PM

My power stearing started making the noise as well. I just swapped out my valve cover gaskets and grommets and it started making that noise and then the ps reservoir overflowed straight bubbles and it looked like the color of engine oil. im gonna try this o-ring fix and try flushing my ps system with better fluid. thanks!

MaggaMan 02-19-2014 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MaggaMan (Post 14880038)
My power stearing started making the noise as well. I just swapped out my valve cover gaskets and grommets and it started making that noise and then the ps reservoir overflowed straight bubbles and it looked like the color of engine oil. im gonna try this o-ring fix and try flushing my ps system with better fluid. thanks!

wait a minute im a dumbass :notfunny: will that o-ring work for my 2nd gen?

Majofo 02-19-2014 11:41 AM

Did you disturb the PS pump at all during the valve cover removal / replacement?

Majofo 02-19-2014 11:43 AM

Regardless, definitely change your PSF. The leak could be coming from the inlet hose or another seal leak. If you manipulate the inlet hose while the vehicle is running and notice a change in the leak, it could be your culprit. Just be careful not to touch the drivebelt. :what:

dangles 02-27-2014 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yet another happy TL owner thanks to you, Majofo...

The morning after I bought the car I heard the whine and thought my PSP was failing. A quick internet search lead me to this thread and the solution. I checked my fluid reservoir and saw this:

Attachment 47789

$0.70 and 3 minutes later (not including drive time to get the o-ring of course :)) the problem was solved. THANK YOU!

AndrewA 02-27-2014 01:43 PM

I replaced the upper and lower (outlet and inlet) o-rings this weekend. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that stupid lower bolt out. There was enough crusty/cruddy old fluid/dirt on there preventing me from getting a box end wrench on it right. I felt it stripping and stopped. I resorted to puling the power steering pump off completely so I could get at the bolt clearly with an impact wrench.

Getting the pump off for me wasn't such a huge deal since I already had the accessory drive belt off to replace the tensioner. You have to loosen the three bolts that secure the engine mount bracket, but once that's out of the way, the pump comes off after removing two bolts. It also gave me the opportunity to clean up the pump and surrounding area.

https://acurazine.com/forums/picture...ictureid=63565

ThatOneBlueTL 03-08-2014 03:58 PM

Just did this myself! Decided to get a new O-ring while I was getting a couple of TPMS Sensors and give it a shot! A $1 fix to a couple hundred $$ problem, gotta love this website!

Btw, I'm new here...

lusid 03-09-2014 12:13 PM

Just did this, took 30mins. I followed the pictures from the original post. Used a 10mm stubby wrench, and had some tweezer on hand to remove the old blk o-ring.

Note: When replacing the old with new, insert it on the plastic housing but do not press it over the plastic notch. It should just loosly rest on the notch. That is what I initially did but had a gut feeling it was wrong, and had to undo the bolt and reinstall.

Goodluck.

Scotty Mac 05-17-2014 12:00 PM

Hey everyone. Since I really do not have time to read all 601 posts in this thread, I'll ask my question lol. I recently got myself an '06 TL (automatic) and I have this very weird noise going on when I turn after start up. It's not a whine, but sounds more like an old steam locomotive whistle. Here's the kicker, it only happens when making a sharp turn and goes away after say 10mph. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside. Now, I've only had this car for almost a month and have yet to do anything major to it. What I did do was took it to the closest Acura dealership (a 55 mile drive) and had them take care of the only open recall on it, which was the ps hose. I asked if they were going to change the O ring too. They said yes. After I got it back, they said I shouldn't hear any noise. Well, they were wrong. The same noise is still there and rather loud and annoying! The funny part is, it happens only when doing sharp, slow right hand turns. I haven't had time to really inspect anything in detail, but I look and saw there was no foam or bubbles or leaks for that matter. I have yet to get under the car. Was planning on doing that tomorrow for an oil change and drain/fill tranny fluid. I can't make my own thread yet, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

Scotty Mac 05-17-2014 12:02 PM

I meant 627 posts lol. My mind is elsewhere..

rockstar143 05-17-2014 01:57 PM

maybe one of the pulleys...

Scotty Mac 05-17-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 15013148)
maybe one of the pulleys...

Anything is possible at this point. But why would it only make the noise while turning right at slow speeds? That part boggles my mind. When I get around to it, I'm going to flush the system anyways. Maybe that'll help? What Have to order the ps fluid online first. How many 12oz bottles should I get? I've seen anywhere between 3-5.
Btw, I like that thread you wrote on the ps overhaul. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm hoping I don't have to do that. But if that'll solve my issue, I'm game.

rockstar143 05-17-2014 02:32 PM

:thumbsup:
Thanks, man.
Honestly, since that's probably a good thing to do regardless since most of our ps seals are getting dry, I'd shoot to tackle that first. It's cheap and not too hard to do.

Yeah, turning is probably going NOT be the tensioner

Scotty Mac 05-17-2014 02:50 PM

I'll do it hopefully soon. Know where I can find some GH ps fluid cheaper than $8 a 12oz bottle? Cheapest I know I is amazon. That's where my tranny fluid came from.
Only thing I did so far was throw some rain x wipers on and change the drive belt. Who ever had this car before me needs to be shot lol. Since there are no service records of anything, I'm at least starting off with all new fluids. Pads and rotors too. Don't think I'll be going back to that Acura dealership tho. They want $3200-$4200 to make this car in tip top shape. (Includes tires). They can KMA lol!

Josh73 05-19-2014 10:08 AM

what kinda ps fluid do you guys use?

Majofo 05-19-2014 01:01 PM

Only use Honda PSF

lusid 05-20-2014 01:31 PM

Also used Honda

cliff03 06-26-2014 01:30 AM

Hi,
i have replaced the oring but didn't got lucky my pump got actually louder.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

swoosh 06-26-2014 10:30 AM

^^^ when you turn the car on, if you see bubbles in the reservoir and hear the whine, there is a leak somewhere from where the air is seeping in (hence the bubbles)

if there are no bubbles in the reservoir, and you hear the whine, I would think its the pump issue and not the o-ring issue....I will let Majofo confirm though...

cliff03 06-26-2014 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by swoosh (Post 15061279)
^^^ when you turn the car on, if you see bubbles in the reservoir and hear the whine, there is a leak somewhere from where the air is seeping in (hence the bubbles)

if there are no bubbles in the reservoir, and you hear the whine, I would think its the pump issue and not the o-ring issue....I will let Majofo confirm though...

No bubbles when car is running just like a twister fluid movement. I have ordered pump made by autoline for my MDX 2004
Thanks for the reply

williecoyote 07-27-2014 03:21 PM

I took the Wifey's 05 in for the hose recall, and I asked specifically what they would do.

Dealer said that in addition to the hose, they would also change the o ring, and the fluid.
Wrong! It has been groaning for awhile now.

I just put in the orange o ring. It still had the black one in there, and the fluid looked like crap. Shame on you Acura Dealer!!

This was an easy repair, One beer if you are mechanically inclined. Two beers if you aren't.
All the info is right here.

Thanks again Majofo!