Diagnose high pitched squeak from wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnose high pitched squeak from wheel

Second time noticing a regular, intermittent high pitched squeak or squeal, sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side wheel. It is in synch with the wheels turning. Randomly starts and goes away both times. Sound stops when braking. At high speeds it's more of a whine. Doesn't sound great, but I wouldn't describe it as hatch or grating. Is there a safe and easy way to check if something got between the brakes and wheels? It's been freezing snowing and icy lately, lots of sand and salt on the roads. 2006 AT.

thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
My front driver side brakes make noise sometimes... I changed out the pads and it helped but I still have noises sometimes, just not as loud. Maybe I need a new caliper...
The following users liked this post:
eastvantrading (01-16-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,046 Likes on 777 Posts
I would start by checking the brake pads. WIth all the salt/sand that is on the roads you could have just had a piece of debris in the pad causing a squeak/squeal. If those seem fine, take a look at the dust shield. The caliper may be on its way out, I would inspect the guide pins to see if they are lubricated.
The following users liked this post:
eastvantrading (01-16-2017)