Dealer couldn't fix it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer couldn't fix it..

So I took my car into my dealer to look at the rear bass rattle and the sunroof rattle. They claimed to have fixed it, but when I started my car cold the next day, there they both go. The problem is trying to get the problem to replicate for them, because every time I take it, my car has been sitting in the heat all day at the train station or something. The parts expand in the heat or something, and it won't rattle anymore.

I would try to fix the rear deck rattle myself, because I know exactly where it's ocming from. The rear defrost vent rattles, but when pressure is applied down on it, it goes away. I've seen fixes on here for it, but my '07 trunk is different. It doesn't look the same as the pictures I've seen. The plastic type pins in the trunk lining are bigger, and look a pain to remove.

I can't pinpoint the rattle for the sunroof. It seems to be all over. It's only when the shade is open and the actual glass is closed.

ANY HELP??
Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

for the rear deck - there are 4 of those plastic clips holding up the trunk liner, get ur hand underneath the liner and tug down by each clip, they'll pop out... don't be scared to use a little force, i've done it several times with no harm done to the car.... after you've done that pull the liner down...you will see holes in the metal that lead to the back of the rear deck (vents)...you can stuff some towel or foam up there, should eliminate the rattle if thats the source

for the sunroof - open the sunroof and spray the track generously with silicon spray...it helps lubricate it...i have been doing this ever 1-2 weeks and it has greatly reduced/eliminated the rattles and noise coming from the sunroof/headliner area
Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Sounds good. I guess I'm just scared to pull on those plastic clips. The middle two or three are small and easy to pull out, but the ones on the far left and right are bigger and stronger. I didn't want to break anything.

As for the sunroof.. is this the only fix we know of? It seems only temporary. I guess I don't mind, but I wonder if anyone knows of something more permanent.

Thanks for you reply Dansienk!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sunroof issue has plagued Honda since 1998 .. I have an 03 CL-S6 that is doing the very same thing. If you search old TSB's you'll find it. Honda's "fix" is to put teflon tape around the sunroof opening so that the glass seal doesn't move around on the metal roof opening. The tape needs to be replaced every 2 years or so. Apparently Honda still hasn't done anything with that .. ugghh ....
Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Intermediate

actually shintzu silicone grease is the ticket for the sun roof rattle lube the tracks and the sun roof seal.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Alright. I'll have to pick some up. Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Just keeping this thread up to date.. I took my car to the dealer twice because I couldn't replicate the noise the first time. My car was sitting in the heat, and I think the rear deck expanded, so it would not rattle. I took the car back in the morning before work and was able to replicate the noise for the dealer. They fixed it within a couple hours. I just left the car and took a loaner.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by saplumm
Just keeping this thread up to date.. I took my car to the dealer twice because I couldn't replicate the noise the first time. My car was sitting in the heat, and I think the rear deck expanded, so it would not rattle. I took the car back in the morning before work and was able to replicate the noise for the dealer. They fixed it within a couple hours. I just left the car and took a loaner.
So what was the solution for your sunroof?