CV boots toast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if you have a few specialty tools and have similar experience then its no big deal

As for shops quoting price on the PHONE- see my last post regarding getting you in the door!
If they are reading from a book of labor time, it may not include clean and repack grease- so they are just going to remove the boot and slip a new one on, maybe put some grease in the boot for good show
Have you asked if they have done this boot job on a TL with perfect results?, no failure in 12 months?

As a former industry employee, I would never sell a boot replacement over a new complete axle with 2 fresh cv bearings and 2 new boots
Its just easier and safer to replace all- and be done with it, for about the same price
The guy at one of the shops told me he just did a cv boot replacement on a 05 TL last week. He also told me they have a 36 month warranty on the service.

the shops may also be thinking of using the old style rubber piece that wraps around the cv and glues onto its own edge, making a full round boot, not pulling the axle and installing a factory boot

Guess how well that works in real life

Again: Once the car is in the shop and apart- you are at their mercy,
and they have none!~
I mentioned that to them from one of your previous posts, and they confimed to me that it is an actual replacement of the boot and the parts were ordered.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
let us know how it turns out
Each car is different- you are not driving an 05 with its lower miles on the unit to start with
Good luck though!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Trucki!!

let us know how it turns out
Each car is different- you are not driving an 05 with its lower miles on the unit to start with
Good luck though!
I definately will, I'm sitting around 55k so I don't consider my 04 to be high mileage for this part is it?

He has already told me that once he is in there and if the joint is unable to be fixed he is more than happy to replace the whole axle, but that is a worse case senerio. He looked at it quickly at his shop the other day and he said that the tear is very small and he would dout that the hole is letting any debris in yet.

I guess we will see.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
I definately will, I'm sitting around 55k so I don't consider my 04 to be high mileage for this part is it?

He has already told me that once he is in there and if the joint is unable to be fixed he is more than happy to replace the whole axle, but that is a worse case senerio. He looked at it quickly at his shop the other day and he said that the tear is very small and he would dout that the hole is letting any debris in yet.

I guess we will see.
Hope it goes well and we don't see a thread from you next month..

Acura OE can sometimes really be China OE, Just b/c they slap their name on it doesn't make it superior, just more expensive. I put in GSP (Guangsheng AP) on my X and it is super smooth.. I could steer that thing with my pinky. I'll even post pics of the CV joint on my old axle so you can see the consequences of a torn boot.

Did you call Tranny shops? My guy charges $60 / hr.. so both front axles were less than $180 and he did a 3x3 for $50 - his son works for Honda Parts so discount on Z1. Of course I gave him a nice tip. Once you find a good guy.. treat'em well.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM

^ $130 + $50.. not $180 + $50
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Trucki!!

$75/hr is an unheard of price in SoCal, every place is around $100hr. I only got this rate as a refferal from a friend.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM

That sucks.. for $100+ / hr I'd do it myself. You should ask around.. I'm sure there is a network of folks on Azine in your area that can help. I work for Goose or Single Barrel Jack but a lot of guys work for beer. Seriously.. $75 isn't too bad.. but I wouldn't tip.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Majofo
That sucks.. for $100+ / hr I'd do it myself. You should ask around.. I'm sure there is a network of folks on Azine in your area that can help. I work for Goose or Single Barrel Jack but a lot of guys work for beer. Seriously.. $75 isn't too bad.. but I wouldn't tip.
Yeah, I'm happy with $75/hr but its the time they say its gonna take. After hearing on here that novice's can do the job in 1 hr, I have to hear that a pro is gonna take 1.8hrs and it bothers me alittle lol

My transmission shop that I get my fluid changed at told me its 1.9hrs and they charge $90/hr. After i told them I have been there before he told me they would do the labor for $150 total. They also told me the price of the aftermarket axle is $157, when I can pick it out myself at Napa for $140-$75 core exchange. I think I'm gonna go to them just because I don't really like the tone the $75/hr shop is giving me.

I've posted in our local meets thread, but I don't think any of the guys know how to do this work....and I know I'm not sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM

okay.. for the driveshaft.. go to AdvanceAutoParts website.. they are a part of PartsAmerica.com. I got my GSP driveshafts for 69.99.. free shipping for $75 or more. I got both sides but if you're only to get one.. get some brake fluid or a maintenance item to push it over.

That's 69.99 no core exchange needed!! So for $150 you could get both driveshafts at your door in 3 days... AND LIFETIME REPLACEMENT!

$150 for labor is not bad if they do both sides as long as you can bring the part in yourself and they don't force you to buy through them b/c they'll charge you retail and pocket the margin over wholesale.

Question: Is the packing grease coming out already? If not, you still have drive time without worrying about failure, but it's something you don't want to wait too long on.. You may want to post out on some Honda forums as well.. even offer cash & beer.. hopefully someone will respond + you learn and next time you do it yourself.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM

.. concerning labor.. sometimes a lot of these shops have a book that state how many hours they should charge for doing a repair. It is very conservative. Some shops go by this and charge the flat hours specified no matter if it is less or more (almost never goes over).

The trick is finding a shop that will only charge you what they actually work. Here's an example breakdown:

15 mins. - look at car
15 mins. - try to look for upsell items
15 mins. - take break
15 mins. - call customer & give bad news
30 mins. - wait for cust to call back
30 mins. - fix car
30 mins. - leave car on lift
30 mins. - test drive
________
= 3 hrs!

lol.. just don't ask me to breakdown my work hours..
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Trucki!!

Ok I found a mech that I've used before that will do the job for $100. He does alot of installs for us AZ guys in SD. he's been away due to medical reasons but he just told me he will do it for me this weekend. His family owns a Honda dealer here in town and he builds race cars.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Ok I found a mech that I've used before that will do the job for $100. He does alot of installs for us AZ guys in SD. he's been away due to medical reasons but he just told me he will do it for me this weekend. His family owns a Honda dealer here in town and he builds race cars.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Trucki!!

Well I put the remanufactured Axle in this weekend......what a pain!

With the ATLP J-pipe on we couldn't get a good angle on end to shaft to "hit" it off. We had to drop the j-pipe to get a good angle. Took around 2hrs to get it done. I guess the good part was that once we took the j-pipe off it made it easier to talk my guy into installing the RV6 race pipe for no additional fee.....he even only charged me $50 since I had to help him get the axle off. So in total I paid $50 for the intall and $75 for the refurbished axle after the core exchange $ was back in my pocket.

Seems like I definately need an alignment done after this swap also.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Well I put the remanufactured Axle in this weekend......what a pain!

With the ATLP J-pipe on we couldn't get a good angle on end to shaft to "hit" it off. We had to drop the j-pipe to get a good angle. Took around 2hrs to get it done. I guess the good part was that once we took the j-pipe off it made it easier to talk my guy into installing the RV6 race pipe for no additional fee.....he even only charged me $50 since I had to help him get the axle off. So in total I paid $50 for the intall and $75 for the refurbished axle after the core exchange $ was back in my pocket.

Seems like I definately need an alignment done after this swap also.
That's sweet. Yeah I'd check your alignment.. No problems with mine though. I'm glad everything worked out. I didn't help my guy out bc he did it while I was at work but he said the d/s was a pain to get out and p/s was cake. Did you get a lifetime warranty on your REMAN axle?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Majofo
That's sweet. Yeah I'd check your alignment.. No problems with mine though. I'm glad everything worked out. I didn't help my guy out bc he did it while I was at work but he said the d/s was a pain to get out and p/s was cake. Did you get a lifetime warranty on your REMAN axle?
Lifetime warranty FTW

We hammered at if for 45 minutes before we dropped the j-pipe to get a better angle on the female part of the axle. The ATLP hangs pretty low so after we dropped it 2 "hits" later and the c clip liet it pop out easily. I think the angle we were having to use was all wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Lifetime warranty FTW

We hammered at if for 45 minutes before we dropped the j-pipe to get a better angle on the female part of the axle. The ATLP hangs pretty low so after we dropped it 2 "hits" later and the c clip liet it pop out easily. I think the angle we were having to use was all wrong.

Everybody likes a little Hammer Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNUx0-XEfw