Cold Start noise and Tranny issues "SOLVED"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Start noise and Tranny issues "SOLVED"

Thanks Aziners and I HATE CARS for all your help!!!

1) The cold start noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JioR-P8QPM

This sound turned out to be the power steering pump. I drove the tech around today and popped the hood so he could hunt the noise down and he found that there was a cheap crappy after market Power steering pump installed! This is getting fixed now... I will post a video of the new pump with the sound eliminated soon.

2)The shuttering issue with my Tranny has been found. I talked with the mechanic about this after I showed him the PS pump noise... He told me that the Internal Torque Converter was failing slowly this is why you feel the shuttering sometimes and other time you dont... At least in my case... I did all the DIY's and the problem never went away... I hate cars was a huge help with this...

They are replacing the tranny and the torque converter covered under my extended warranty thru Mercury. Kudos to this company for standing by there coverage and not making excuses to dish out money... $3400 bucks...

Meanwhile Im going to enjoy the hell outta my ZDX rental till Friday! Not my style but its its got the gadgets and gizmos to entertain my ADD ass....haha!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good thing your aftermarket warranty is covering it. Did they say that you would have to do the tear down then have one of their agents verify that it was a covered part before authorizing the work?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Mine, they do the diagnosis and then call the warranty and call you with what they say. They sure do take their time with this usually like 2 hours to make a call and call me back.I know its them not the warranty people because i call back and he says he is about to call or some bs like that.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sddale
Good thing your aftermarket warranty is covering it. Did they say that you would have to do the tear down then have one of their agents verify that it was a covered part before authorizing the work?
Mercury is one of the best warranty companies around...

So they test drove the car at 10:30 found the issue and called my warranty company... By 11:00am I had an answer the they gave the okay for the repair... No questions asked... They will be taking the old transmission btw... I wanted to keep it so I could dissect it and see what it looked like!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by CG's 3GTL
Mercury is one of the best warranty companies around...

So they test drove the car at 10:30 found the issue and called my warranty company... By 11:00am I had an answer the they gave the okay for the repair... No questions asked... They will be taking the old transmission btw... I wanted to keep it so I could dissect it and see what it looked like!
That's great news.

My friend gets Mercury on all of his Mercedes. He pays around $6,000 for the warranty coverage to 150,000 miles. It's more than paid for itself multiple times. Every one of those CL Mercedes has had balljoint issues by 40,000 miles that were just under $10K.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's great news.

My friend gets Mercury on all of his Mercedes. He pays around $6,000 for the warranty coverage to 150,000 miles. It's more than paid for itself multiple times. Every one of those CL Mercedes has had balljoint issues by 40,000 miles that were just under $10K.
They have had no problem spending over $6000 on my car in the last few months... I only paid $1250 for the gold protection and its only good to 115000 miles. I have had them fix almost everything so Im good to go for the journey to 200k