Clunk turning left

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk turning left

My 05 TL (base, AT) started making a weird noise recently. When I'm turning left (and only left), I sometimes get a clunk-like noise, and you can feel it as well. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it seems to be coming from, but it sounds like it's from the driver's side front suspension (could be wrong, though). Here are some more details...

-Left turns only
-volume/severity increases with higher speed and tighter turning radius (I feel it most when I'm hustling through a left turn in an intersection, but I still sometimes feel more sweeping turns... it's just not as harsh).
-Usually happens about 2/3 of the way through the turn, sometimes sooner if I'm cornering harder.
-I recently replaced my rotors - not sure if this might have something to do with it. Everything on the front end that was removed (which would just be the caliper and brake line mount on the arm) was torqued to spec.
-Single clunk each time
-Seems more likely to happen if I make a left, then a right, then another left... whereas if I were to make several left-hand turns in a row, it isn't as likely.

I'm kinda stumped with this. Even though I can *feel* the clunk, I don't really feel any other differences, and it doesn't do anything weird/make any weird noises over bumps or rough roads (which seems to be a more common TL problem), just while turning left.

Any ideas? Sorry if any of this post doesn't make sense; it's been a long day and I'm tired.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by JBPhoto
My 05 TL (base, AT) started making a weird noise recently. When I'm turning left (and only left), I sometimes get a clunk-like noise, and you can feel it as well. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it seems to be coming from, but it sounds like it's from the driver's side front suspension (could be wrong, though). Here are some more details...

-Left turns only
-volume/severity increases with higher speed and tighter turning radius (I feel it most when I'm hustling through a left turn in an intersection, but I still sometimes feel more sweeping turns... it's just not as harsh).
-Usually happens about 2/3 of the way through the turn, sometimes sooner if I'm cornering harder.
-I recently replaced my rotors - not sure if this might have something to do with it. Everything on the front end that was removed (which would just be the caliper and brake line mount on the arm) was torqued to spec.
-Single clunk each time
-Seems more likely to happen if I make a left, then a right, then another left... whereas if I were to make several left-hand turns in a row, it isn't as likely.

I'm kinda stumped with this. Even though I can *feel* the clunk, I don't really feel any other differences, and it doesn't do anything weird/make any weird noises over bumps or rough roads (which seems to be a more common TL problem), just while turning left.

Any ideas? Sorry if any of this post doesn't make sense; it's been a long day and I'm tired.
I think it might be the CV joints on the left side. You can look under the car on the left side and see if the CV boot is torn or if the grease from it is sprayed all over.

The CV joint or Constant velocity joint allows the wheels to turn left and right and adjust up and down with the suspention while the axels are fixed and only rotate. The TL is such a quiet car it likely supresses much of the noise and clunks.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check that out!