Clicking in Shifter W/VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Clicking in Shifter W/VIDEO

Hey guys I was wondering if this is normal on the TL or if there is an issue here. Basically when the car is coming to a complete stop or when the car first accelerates there is a click as if the transmission is engaging into 1st gear. I have a video of the car accelerating a decelerating. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Car is an 08 TL about 45k miles. Bought it certified pre-owned so everything as far as being tuned up has already been completed.

Acceleration

Deceleration
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Upon further research it seems like the common answer is the shift lock solenoid. Ugh, I hate when cars make sounds that they shouldn't. I know find myself listening for the sound and from what I'm reading there really isn't a fix for it. Most people have used some type of grease and one guy used a dense foam to insulate the area to avoid any audible noise in the cabin. Is there no better fix to this issue??
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
You're right buddy - it's the shift lock solenoid.

The sound is actually coming from the plastic "hammer" on the solenoid.

You can dis-assemble the center console to get to it and insulate the thing the hammer is hitting with small foam.

That's what the "fix" was I believe.

I have the exact same click.
When I step on my brakes in Park it does it, too.

I usually ignore it and don't notice it as much anymore.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, maybe over the summertime I will take apart the console when things are a bit warmer out and a little more flexible. I'm just so anal with my cars that when I hear certain sounds and I know that they are they are there, it is extremely tough for me to ignore them. I know everyone says turn the music up louder, but to me that is just not acceptable. And I'm skeptical to take it to the dealer because I don't want the car back in worse shape than when I turned it in. The noise now is tolerable, but if it happens to get louder I guess I will be forced to take action, lol.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by The Machine
Hmm, maybe over the summertime I will take apart the console when things are a bit warmer out and a little more flexible. I'm just so anal with my cars that when I hear certain sounds and I know that they are they are there, it is extremely tough for me to ignore them. I know everyone says turn the music up louder, but to me that is just not acceptable. And I'm skeptical to take it to the dealer because I don't want the car back in worse shape than when I turned it in. The noise now is tolerable, but if it happens to get louder I guess I will be forced to take action, lol.
Yeah - it's totally normal though, which is good to know.

It just means your shift lock solenoid works.

Now if you hear clicking from your wheel wells, etc., that would be something to worry about =)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah you're right, I am glad to know that it is normal. However I'm disappointed in Acura for making such a noisy part and not coming up with a permanent resolution to it.