Clicking noise when turning left or right

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Clicking noise when turning left or right

So we've had a cold snap in my area -10 to -15 celcius and i;ve noticed in my 05TL 6spd that when making full lock turns there is a clicking sound comming out of the front end. It only happens while the car is cold and for the first couple of turns then goes away. I really dont think it's the cv joints, so what do you guys think it could be? I'm probably going to take it in this week and have them check it out but would like to get some ideas up front.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:40 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did the same exact thing, only when cold. Took it to the dealership 4 times before it was fixed. IT IS THE CV JOINTS!!! The problem is, at that temperature the grease in those joints is soo thick and cold, that it does not get to the whole joint until it warms up and starts to work its way around the joint.

They ended up replacing both cv joints and axles for me.....no problems again so far and last night it was -34* F with the windchill....
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Team ABP member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting I noticed the same thing with mine....johnny--2k did your dealership indicate that there might be a defect with the stock cv joints?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
My Daily Driver

they did not say. Just ended up replacing them and so far so good.....no mention of defects at all
Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Team ABP member

mmm ok....might have my mechanic play around with my cv joint to see if that does the trick. if not looks like I might have to consider replacing mine.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Try not turning the wheels to full lock- that puts tremendous strain on the steering system and the cvs, thats not what they are built to do!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem........
Old 02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Team ABP member

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Try not turning the wheels to full lock- that puts tremendous strain on the steering system and the cvs, thats not what they are built to do!
so why allow that much movement in the wheels if its not good for the steering system? and its kinda hard for me to not turn the wheel that much since when I leave my driveway I have to take a hard left or right.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Read your owners manual

There is a big differance betwen a standing full lock turn of the wheels and a slow rolling motion as the wheels are being turned, especially when cold
They could limit it, but then that would increase the turning radius.

Drive smart and understand your cars many systems
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Unofficial Goat

hmmm thats interesting, looks like im heading to the dealer, going to try and get them to flush the tranny for free too due to the new acura news service bulletin that recommends it in the cold. Guess i'll have to point the service tech in the CV direction. only part sucks is i cant do anything till wed cause of too much school work, hopefully its still freezing then.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
My Daily Driver

01tl you seem to be all about the owners manual. He is not sitting in one spot and turning, he is turning full lock and moving. A CV joint wont make noise while sitting still anyways, so your remark makes no sense.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Unofficial Goat

So i called my honda dealer today and they said they can't perform warranty work on an acura, Booo what is a guy to do the closets acura dealer is 200km away. Man beeing at school sucks if i was home this could have been repaired already. Looks like i might have to go home this weekend :cough: 400km boourns hopefully its cold enough back home this weekend so this issue repeats.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

since the car is still under warranty will Acura cover this or i would have to pay out of my own pocket?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

Johnny2k
I have been working on cars since you were in diapers
Reading the owners manual answers about 70 percent of the questions found in the forum
and helps you operate your vehicle in the best way

One of the things that puts strain on a cv is full lock turns- even at crawling low speed and as you turn the wheel and begin to move click click click

One poster was saying they had to back out with full lock and enter the street the same way. That sounds like from a stop or stopped
So explain why I dont make sense?????
Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

To be a broken record
whip out that owners book and the small one titled Warranty on your Acura
It tells you what parts are covered for how many miles

And call your dealer

And register at www.acura.com ownership experience
Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
My Daily Driver

the way it sounded, i thought you meant he was just sitting in one spot turning the wheel lock to lock.

Mine clicked at any thing over 3/4 of a turn or more, at just about any speed except stopped completely, which is why I said it will not make noise unless moving.....

I dont disagree about the owners manual, but sometimes when looking for an answer, especially to a frustrating problem, the last answer anyone wants to hear is "read the manual" or "do a search"
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

well for those guys who have fixed this problem did you guys pay out of your own pocket or warranty covered it...............
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Unofficial Goat

thats a good question, i would think that this should be covered under warranty because it is a manufacture defect as it appears they did not use the proper grease when building the half shaft. I rebuilt the old ones on my 95 accord rebacked the boots and all and never had this problem in theses temperatures. It seems as though they didnt use the standard moly grease or simply didnt put enough in the boot. this is balls cause the local honda dealer cant do shit for me and acura is so FAR away, i definatly want these replaced cause by the time it is this cold next year i will be way outside my warranty period. Argh Im so mad right now...you'd think with a 40K car they would get that right.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 PM
My Daily Driver

it was warranty for me. Obviously, if you are out of warranty, it would not be covered unless your dealership wants to do it out of good will.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Arrow clicking

omg!!! i have the same problem. i only hear it in the morning since it got cold. im out of warranty for me to replace. i think i might try to live with it for ahwhile.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Unofficial Goat

dropped mine off at the shop last night so it could sit in the cold for them, getting near lunch time here and am yet to hear anything out of them. Hoping they heard it and are replacing the drive shafts right now. Also asked to have the tranny fluid replaced with the new stuff for free cause it was in the Jan 2007 acura service news letter. Lets hope all goes well!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
last night it was -34* F with the windchill....
ahahhahahahahahaahah
Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Unofficial Goat

well got the car back from acura, they said they couldnt get it to happen. However i did get the tranny fluid replaced under goodwill from acura so atleast that was free. Sure enough i get in the car to take off and it starts clicking, i go straight back this is at 530 today and the service advisor says every tech is gone and he cant do anything. I said well i;ll leave it here and they can take it out sat, he says theres no techs in on sat just lube monkeys so we arranged that im going to drop the car off sunday night and then meet them there monday morning and have me in the car with the tech first thing so we can get this straightend out. Kinda sucks cause now i have to miss a days worth of classes but i really want to get this ironed out. and the tranny seems to shift a little bit nicer with this new fluid, atleast so far. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:55 AM
05-6MT-TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well i dropped off mine at the dealer yesterday and they were able to duplicate the sound and have ordered a new half shaft for the passenger side - no charge. I was only half happy as I'm fairly certain I either heard the same sound from the driver side and even if I didn't it's probably just a matter of time till it begins to fail too. I'm taking it back next week when the shaft arrives....I'm going to push them to do the driver side too..I'll keep you all posted.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 AM
05-6MT-TL

Angry

speaking of 1/2 happy...after I get home from the dealership, I decided to put my car in the garage so I can put on the new Hawk brakes and Centric Rotors. Anyway, my wife got home first, so I had to pull her car out of the garage to get mine in...yada, yada, yada...In my haste, for some stupid reason, I forget all about my car, and as I'm backing out of the garage, watching very closely on the driver side, forgetting all about my car, I back right in to it scraping the passenger side of my car against the passenger side of my wifes car!! WTF! To boot, now I have 2 cars I have to get fixed. Never done anything like that in my 20+ years of driving! Oh well shit happens, right. Anyway, the damage is minimal but I still can't believe I did that.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:53 AM
05-6MT-TL

Originally Posted by The Dougler
dropped mine off at the shop last night so it could sit in the cold for them, getting near lunch time here and am yet to hear anything out of them. Hoping they heard it and are replacing the drive shafts right now. Also asked to have the tranny fluid replaced with the new stuff for free cause it was in the Jan 2007 acura service news letter. Lets hope all goes well!
where is this newsletter?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:15 AM
05-6MT-TL

found it - https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/who-wants-give-me-%245-129196/
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Unofficial Goat

Well i dropped it off just now, I took out the tech he says he heard the clicking this time.... so we get back to the dealership and after talking to someone the service advisor says that its not the half shaft but they dont know what it is. They said they'll look at it again but its not the U-joints, said they'll take it apart and look at it closer to see if somethings stuck in there or some shit. I think this is the last time my car goes into this dealership seems like there full of clowns that dont know much. If they call me and say nothing is wrong i'm going to tell them to keep the car until they pull there heads out of there asses. I'll update when i hear from them.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Unofficial Goat

Well good/bad news for me, just got off the phone with acura. The tech tore it all appart inspected everything thought it was all good, took it out on the road and the noise repeated. He tore it apart again and finally they agree with me that the right side drive shaft is indeed pooched. Bad news is the parts on back order till around feb 22nd so it'll be another trip home for me it looks like. At this point im happy atleast to have them on my side and have to problem on paper so i dont have to worry about it getting mild and them not beeing able to repeat it.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 AM
05-6MT-TL

Gee, I wonder why the half shafts are on back order? Mine is suppossed to come in today or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Unofficial Goat

Could just be that the canadian parts distribution system has yet to need them, so there's never been any in stock, cause its taking a little more than a week it sounds like they have to get them shipped up from the US instead of locally.

Only thing that sucks is their only replacing the right side and i have a feeling that not too long after that geets done the left will start making noises too. O well atleast they know whats going on now.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
My Daily Driver

good to hear they are finally taking care of it. I went through the same thing with multiple different diagnosis from the dealership.

They did however replace both of mine
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Just Great, NOT

My '05 TL was making a clicking/grinding sound from day one on a summers day( drivers side). When I mentioned it to the service tech. on it's first service he said he heard the problem but didn't think it was much so go ahead and drive it.

Now that it's winter the problem is worse and every time the VSC kicks in I hear clicking and grinding, on the driver side only.

Plus I now have a serious problem with the tranny. I went to pass someone the other day and the tranny kicked down and would not move up a gear. There I was in the passing lane with the rev. limiter cutting out the engine trying to figure out what to do next. Moved the shifter over to manual and the tranny was stuck in second and nothing I could do to get it out of second gear! The only thing that would get it out of second gear was to slow down to 62 km/hr.

All this coupled with Climate control problems, voice control problems with climate control and a gauge cluster that has spots inside the plastic.
And I thought I was buying a vehicle that would last !

I'm off to other posts to see if other's are having tranny problems!

If you've heard of tranny problems please direct me to any posts you may have seen.

Thanks

John
Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Unofficial Goat

John sounds like you need to get into the dealer and voice your concerns, dont leave without them satisfying any problems you have, i havent read anything about the 05 trannies have troubles like that. theres a reason these things have warranties and make sure everything gets taken care of before you get outside your warranty period. If the tech told you the clicking was not a big deal he is stupid and you should have stood your ground, you shouldnt hear anything but the radio and the road when driving.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply.
No worries about me not being satisfied LOL
I think my dealer wishes they never sold me the car already, and that was in the first month! Had them put three new "A Spec" trim packages on the car before one fit properly. And they owe me a new Nav. DVD as their salesman assured me our small city of 80k was included in the database, still I don't think Red Deer Ab. is included in the latest release.

Originally Posted by The Dougler
John sounds like you need to get into the dealer and voice your concerns, dont leave without them satisfying any problems you have, i havent read anything about the 05 trannies have troubles like that. theres a reason these things have warranties and make sure everything gets taken care of before you get outside your warranty period. If the tech told you the clicking was not a big deal he is stupid and you should have stood your ground, you shouldnt hear anything but the radio and the road when driving.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Not alone, I had a cavalier a hundred years ago for a beater car and the clicking that came off that car on turns was very loud. Well anyway I have to make a sharp left out of my driveway and as as soon as I heard the noise I knew it was the CV joint. I have a 06 6mt with 9K on the ODO, so I'm thinking this aint right. I also have the shifter that "shifts back in 3rd". The CV joint only clicks when cold so the service guy's had to wait till the next morning to catch it, but catch it they did. There replacing both CV joints. They are also replacing the tranny fluid with the new stuff, they did test drive this and they said 3rd gear is staying put now. All covered under warrenty. By the way I got an 07 RDX as a loaner, I'm impressed the li'l shit box gets up and going...even has paddle shifters. Nice inside also....... BETTER FRICKIN NAVI than my TL.

Kudos to Davis Acura on Lincoln highway (Mike service dude) , you guy's dont suck.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 AM
05-6MT-TL

Ann Arbor Acura replaced the passenger side half shaft and tranny fluid (per the SB) at no cost to me. They gave me an 06 AT TL loaner (without even asking) and washed my car when they were done. The sound is gone, the ride feels better (tighter) and the 3rd gear issue has not occurred once since the fluid was replaced. I don't know why the ride feels better (tighter), but it does...probably just my imagaination. Overall, a very pleasant experience. I just hope the driver side half shaft doesn't do the same. If it does, I hope it occurs within the next 19K miles (before my warranty runs out). I'll be listening very closely for any clicking.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Unofficial Goat

Had my passenger side replaced on friday too, everything seems to be buttoned up now, I will also be listening closely for anything comming out of the drivers side, if it happens outside of warranty i'm pretty sure there's enough president from them replacing the left side that they should do it under goodwill post warranty. Just makesure you keep everything for your records.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Instructor

What a bunch of jokers these so called techs are this day and age! Because it's icy out, the manager tells me the sound is normal as it's the VSA. No kidding Sherlock I know the difference between the VSA sound and a CV joint problem.
If an idiot light doesn't come on these guys don't have a clue!
And why is it that I have to read here that I need to ask for a tranny fluid change as per service bullet? I'm going to drive another 300 km to get the tranny fluid changed out?
Last time I buy a vehicle that doesn't a dealer in the city I live in.

Originally Posted by Jmark
Thanks for the reply.
No worries about me not being satisfied LOL
I think my dealer wishes they never sold me the car already, and that was in the first month! Had them put three new "A Spec" trim packages on the car before one fit properly. And they owe me a new Nav. DVD as their salesman assured me our small city of 80k was included in the database, still I don't think Red Deer Ab. is included in the latest release.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Instructor

A torn CV joint was discovered on my 04 WDP TL that I just bought last week w/ 41k.
I have heard no clicking sound, but the tech showed the tear to me and said I can expect to hear it soon as the tear worsens, especially when fall and winter roll around.
Do I still have a shot at getting this covered under the warranty that expires in 4 months?
I have to go to the Acura dealer to pick up some WDP touch up when it comes in later this week, and I am just wondering if any of you guys that have gone through this can offer me some tips of what to ask when there?

Thank you for any help.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when turning left or right