Clicking noise near belts after spark plug change

Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 AM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Clicking noise near belts after spark plug change

Fellas,

I changed the spark plugs using OEM iridiums torqued to 18lbs and while the car runs fine, I noticed this continuous clicking noise in a repeating cycle near the belts. Odd thing is sometimes it is louder than others and at times inaudible - all times being fully warmed up. I've inspected all front plugs and don't see an issue. It's possible there could be an issue with one of the rear plugs which I won't have time to get to until the weekend. No CEL or anything.

TIA
-hacura
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Voice 002_sd.mp3 (173.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Did you use anti-seize?

Sounds more like a bad TB tensioner...
Old 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Remove the serpentine belt, start the car to see if noise exists.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Did you use anti-seize?

Sounds more like a bad TB tensioner...
Yes, I used just a small amount of anti-seize spread vertically on thread.

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Remove the serpentine belt, start the car to see if noise exists.
Good idea, I'll keep this in mind when opening things up.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hacura
Yes, I used just a small amount of anti-seize spread vertically on thread.
Then you way over-torqued the plugs. Spec with A/S is only 13ft-lbs....
Old 03-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Pro

Then you way over-torqued the plugs. Spec with A/S is only 13ft-lbs....
I read inconsistent threads on torquing with or without anti-seize and went with the tighter value. It's the first time I've torqued plugs, over the years we just go with the gut by tightening to a comfortable snug point without over doing it and never had any issues (Fords and older Hondas). I felt a bit uneasy using the torque wrench this time around but went with it. Should I back them out now?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Race Director

No, I wouldn't. But I'd still double check the rear plugs to be sure they aren't loose.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hacura
Fellas,

I changed the spark plugs using OEM iridiums torqued to 18lbs and while the car runs fine, I noticed this continuous clicking noise in a repeating cycle near the belts. Odd thing is sometimes it is louder than others and at times inaudible - all times being fully warmed up. I've inspected all front plugs and don't see an issue. It's possible there could be an issue with one of the rear plugs which I won't have time to get to until the weekend. No CEL or anything.

TIA
-hacura
I listened to your noise, Very similar to what I had. I have a 2004 TL with 126,000 miles. Its your AC Pump (Bearings) going bad. Try turning on and off your AC and check if you hear any differences. New AC pump replacement is expensive but it did fix mine. Good Luck
Old 04-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Pro

Apologies for the late reply gentlemen. I rechecked and did indeed use 13 ft/lbs torque vs. stated 18. I must have changed last minute after reading the same spec using anti-seize.

No, I wouldn't. But I'd still double check the rear plugs to be sure they aren't loose.
All rear plugs checked out just fine. Even if not quite plausible, I'm willing to entertain a bad plug vs. loose which is what I checked for. I've done many plug changes, never had any issues with install or plugs so not quite sure what to listen/look for.

Originally Posted by StillAcuraTL
I listened to your noise, Very similar to what I had. I have a 2004 TL with 126,000 miles. Its your AC Pump (Bearings) going bad. Try turning on and off your AC and check if you hear any differences. New AC pump replacement is expensive but it did fix mine. Good Luck
I turned on and off the AC during the noise and it didn't make a difference.

Only thing I haven't tried is to remove the belt when there's noise. Problem is I don't have tools and space at my condo.
If it helps any, it seems short drives of 5 min less from a cold start will result in the sound with longer drives resulting in the sound going away. I'm beginning to suspect a belt tensioner. I've got ~80k miles with 11 years so was planning to take it in for a timing belt change next year around 90k so perhaps I can do it now and get the tensioners replaced too?