Check Engine Light and Codes P0174, 61-1, 65-1. Are these related at all?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check Engine Light and Codes P0174, 61-1, 65-1. Are these related at all?

I have a 2005 TL with about 142k on the clock. From my search, the p0174 code is a lean condition bank 2, and the 61-1 is the battery (or voltage related), and the 65-1 is low brake fluid.
I recently replaced my alternator and added some grounds (one to the throttle body too), because of my battery light coming on and the battery is pretty new. One of those seemed to fix the battery light issues. At the same time, I also changed my brakes, rotors, rear hoses and calipers, and flushed my brake fluid. It's possible the fluid is actually low now (my wife took the car to get the codes read, so she didn't check it). Also, just to give you the full picture, the weather just recently changed pretty substantially too and I'd gotten a full tank of gas after running pretty low. And, I've recently started a new job and have been driving the car around 100 miles daily.

My questions are:

1. How long are the codes stored for? In other words, could the codes that showed be from the old battery light, and the low fluid during flushing, and they are now fixed?

2. P0174 seems to have a lot of causes. I'm reading O2 sensors, valves out of adjustment, bad gas (lol), dirty fuel system, etc. Is there typically one thing that this usually is?

3. Are these related at all? The CEL has never been on since I've owned the car (for almost 100k). Is there a "tipping point" of sorts for the CEL, or did these all coincidentally go bad at once?

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealership to have it diagnosed further, but it's $130 to do that. I'd rather know and not throw good money after bad, but just wanted to get you all's thoughts first. Obviously, the low brake fluid is easy enough to check, and not really my main concern, but I'm snowed in, and the car is buried under about 2 feet of snow right now; so I think I'll wait to check that! I just seemed odd that these all became issues at once. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mattyacura; 01-23-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:52 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked and the brake fluid is fine (65-1), so I'm assuming this, and the voltage (61-1) were left over from before and the p0174 was the actual trigger of the CEL. Any thoughts as to what that most likely is? Any tests I can run to determine which it is?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
unplug the battery negative cable for a few minutes to reset the ECU and see if the codes come back.

all should be gone luckily