Chattering sound from accessory belt area - Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Chattering sound from accessory belt area - Power Steering Pump?

I’m a little stumped on this one. I’ve heard a whining power steering pump before, but I have more of a whining coming from the left side of the engine bay. I can’t see anything or tell specifically where it’s coming from. SOUNDS like the top, which is why I suspect the PS pump, that and I see signs of a small leak, which is why my mind goes there. But again I’m getting almost more of a chatter and not a whine. And I don’t want to go tearing into a pump that doesn’t need it (besides the rings that may need replaced for the leak).

Any help would be appreciated! I could try to post a video but half the time I post pics/videos people have troubles seeing them on mobile devices.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Mechanics stethoscope and start scoping
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Racer

Ok but is there anywhere I should look at specifically? Not the easiest to get a stethoscope around the belt when the engine is running
Old 08-15-2018, 06:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Check YouTube for videos of the sound and compare.
Tensioner pulley seems to be a common cause but compare the ticking

Let us know what you find and good luck.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Racer

Well that sounds about the sounds. I’ll have to check it out a little later.
Thanks man I appreciate the help. I’ll update later
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Racer

So I looked a bit closer today. Wanted some input if anyone has any
it does look like the tensioner is fluttering a bit, although the majority of the chattering is coming from higher up. I’m assuming the PS pump like I thought before.
If you look you can see what looks like a washer moving along the shaft that the pulley is attached to that goes into the pump. I’m assuming this isn’t normal.
I’m not familiar with the make up of any power steering pump. Do I need a new one? Do I need a seal or something replaced? Or IS this normal?

Also does the tensioner pulley look like it’s causing anything? Doesn’t look terrible moving but does look like it’s movinf more than it should.

Washer from rom power steering pump at about :10.
Tensioner at :52 seconds

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can chime in!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Racer

I have a few pictures around the pump too but I think you can see the same stuff in the video, plus I think my pictures make it to where not everyone can view the page.

But it you can see some fluid “sweating” out from the line near where the pulley is bolted, and where that waster is spinning around
Old 08-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Hi,

As another poster mentioned, get a stethoscope. Place it only on non-moving parts. By alternating where you place the tip (tip is almost foot long so you can place it lots of hard to reach areas), you can see where the noise is strongest. That will lead you to the problem area. IMHO, this is a must-have for debugging car problems. And at 15 dollars, there is really no reason not to have one.

Amazon Amazon

That said, you tensioner does seem to be moving too much. But maybe it is moving to compensate for a problem with the pump. That is why its best to get the scope and figure out the source of the noise.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Racer

The sound is coming from the power steering pump. I don’t need a stethoscope for that.
Looking into it a little more I’ll be rebuilding the pump WITH the bearing. I believe that’s the issue is the bearing For the shaft
Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
I think it's the tensioner. The noise can travel. Take a stethoscope to it.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey Ossman and others - I thought I'd share this video I just took after the TL had been sitting a few days while I modded the headlights. I don't think this is the noise Ossman mentions, but in case anyone can identify it, please enlighten me, lol. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bs5Rf4wZtjWcdxVb9
Old 08-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Racer

Sounds pretty close.
Ive got a belt tensioner on the way. I let you know if that does anything
Old 08-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Racer

Just thought I’d give an update in case anyone ever has a similiar issue.

I replaces the belt tensioner, and the issue was NOT fixed. I didn’t think is was the issue, as that’s not where the sound was from. But it looks like it needed replaced so I did it anyways. I ran the car for a few minutes, and the sound was still there, so I went ahead and ordered all the seals and bearing needed to rebuild the pump. The will be here Tuesday.

Then I go to leave to meet my wife’s family for dinner, and as the car is warming up, I hear the noise get worse and then notice some other sound. I pop the hood and take a look under the engine cover. First thing I notice is the sound appears to come from the power steering pump, then under the cover I see the power steering resouvier overflowing with foamy fluid. I figure the pump has finally gave out.

Im assuming the extra tension from the new tensioner did its job and put the stress on the pump, and it couldn’t hold up.

So yeah just wanted to share my experience. Figure the pump needs rebuilt now without a doubt. So will update a little later when that’s done
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Racer

So I pulled the PS pump off to get it ready for rebuild as I got all my seals, rings, and bearings in today.
I would say my original thought was right judging by the pics. This is right after I took it off. I did not move or break off anything.

Looks like the outer bearing housing separated, and the bearing wore out and the pump failed.
A new bearing is supposed to look like this, the orange piece seemed to have separated off of the old one.

So I have all the new seals and what not. But it looks as if the pump has already been replaced with a remanufactured one, yet it has already failed so I'm assuming it isn't an OEM one. The current pump also is coated black and has a REMFG stamped on it.
I'm pretty hesitant to attempt to rebuild this pump with the OEM seals if I'm correct in assuming this is NOT and OEM pump.
1) I'm concerned other parts on the inside will wear prematurely, the car only has 70,XXX miles on it, I wouldn't imagine this pump has more than half the miles on it.
2) I'm not sure if the OEM seals will be a good fit for a non-OEM pump, if that makes sense?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this? I'm leaning at dropping the money on a new pump at this point
Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 AM
CAD Guy

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Typically re-manufactured units are OEM units, they just have been rebuilt with aftermarket seals, bearings, etc...Of course aftermarket new units can end up mixed in the re-manufactured parts as well if they end up failing and are used as a core. Regardless the OEM seals should fit without an issue, however that is up too you whether you want to buy new or overhaul this one. If it were me and I already had the stuff I would attempt to fix this one and see how it goes. I previously rebuilt my OEM unit earlier this year and it was really easy.

I am not sure of any markings that would be cast into or etched into the housing that would be an indicator of OEM or not.

Last edited by 05 Acura TL; 08-29-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Racer

Yeah I wasn’t afraid to rebuild the pump, but I decided to go ahead and replace with a new OEM one. Time will tell if it was worth it but hey, I plan on keeping the car for 5ish more years so we will see

That being said the new pump is in, and the car is super quiet. Even more so than before I noticed the chattering sound.new pump was pricey but I’m happy I can drive the car again
Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
Rebuild that one and sell it to recoup some cash!