Car won't lock using Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 PM
peemp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car won't lock using Key Fob

My car: '06 TL, 2 mos old.

So I have experienced my first problem with my TL: Today, I got down from the car as usual and clicked on the Key Fob Lock button to lock it, just like any other day... it won't lock.

So I try it again, and again. Could it be the battery on the Key Fob? Nope, the little red light works, and I can UNLock and Open the trunk with the other two buttons.

So I try it again. I get back in the car and start it (maybe it needs a "reboot") and shutoff the engine... it still doesn't lock. Hm.

So I go in the house and pick up the other Key Fob I have. It unlocks the car. It opens the trunk.... but it does not LOCK the car.

I have searched the forum and can't seem to find any thread on the topic.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
You have to link the remote to the car.

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons. The LED will blink twice to show it is unlinked, and once if it is linked. When you want to change it, do the procedure again.

It's in the owner's manual under Remote Transmitter.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure it't not locking. Are you checking the doors after hitting the lock buttons, or hitting the lock twice and listening for the beep? If one of you doors, or trunk is not shut all the way, the car will lock but you will not get the confirmation beep. Sometimes my seatbelt will stop a door from shuting all the way, it looks shut, but isn't completly.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 AM
peemp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Ron and ifrisbee for the ideas.

I started with the simplest one, and it looks like ifrisbee got it right: the stuck seatbelt.

My son who was in the right rear seat probably got his book bag caught on the seatbelt, the seatbelt went into a position that prevented the door from closing fully, and that was the problem. Works well now, and that's all it was!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Not a dude.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by octl
Thanks Ron and ifrisbee for the ideas.

I started with the simplest one, and it looks like ifrisbee got it right: the stuck seatbelt.

My son who was in the right rear seat probably got his book bag caught on the seatbelt, the seatbelt went into a position that prevented the door from closing fully, and that was the problem. Works well now, and that's all it was!

You just have to love this forum.

Think what a major it would have been if you'd gone to the dealer complaining about your stupid car not working properly! I can see myself doing that and getting completely embarassed.

Nice save!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I had....well I still have the issue. But its my hood. Just havent had time to fix it yet. I just have to reopen it and close it then my doors will lock.

Glad you figured it out..