Car Rattles when I turn off engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car Rattles when I turn off engine???

This has been bothering me for a while, when I turn on the car (cold start) and turn if off shortly afterwards (moving the car just a little), the car rattles, it feels as if the engine is shaking the entire car?! This does not usually happen if I drive the car for a bit.

i'm fairly careful with my Acura maintenance but have no idea why this is happening.

I have Acuracare so I'm trying to get everything that may break, break so that when my warranty expires i'll have a smooth running car for the next 100k miles. Any pointers on how I can get Acura to fix things under the warranty would be much appreciated.

I always ask the Acura mechanic to take my car on a test drive for any problems but they never notice anything unusual unless I point it out... they don't seem to care about the little tid bits that make people buy cars nicer than an old civic in the first place....
The following users liked this post:
mraurora (02-28-2022)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 AM
2011 M37x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mik3vl
This has been bothering me for a while, when I turn on the car (cold start) and turn if off shortly afterwards (moving the car just a little), the car rattles, it feels as if the engine is shaking the entire car?! This does not usually happen if I drive the car for a bit.

i'm fairly careful with my Acura maintenance but have no idea why this is happening.

I have Acuracare so I'm trying to get everything that may break, break so that when my warranty expires i'll have a smooth running car for the next 100k miles. Any pointers on how I can get Acura to fix things under the warranty would be much appreciated.

I always ask the Acura mechanic to take my car on a test drive for any problems but they never notice anything unusual unless I point it out... they don't seem to care about the little tid bits that make people buy cars nicer than an old civic in the first place....
if you feel like the engine is shaking the who car check to see if any of the mounts are broken or the rubber inserts are wearing down.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
I believe it is normal. There are several threads on the issue. Try using the search. If I wasnt using my phone now I'd try to find some for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
hints on getting the dealer to actually give a s*&$:

1) have an existing relationship with them (ie service history)
2) be firm, but nice with the service guys (SA, the shop foreman), afterall they are taking care of your car
3) know thy car (inside and out, weird noises, pre-existing scratches and dings, how it runs, etc).
4) show them you care about your car (it comes in spanking clean, you request a NO WASH, and the interior is well kept).
5) if need be...ride with the SHOP FOREMAN to address tricky issues (weird noises, odd behavior of the car-pulls/drifts/vibrations) that way you can describe what the hell is going in in person and when it happens.
6) have a working relationship with your dealer (yes i said this already...but i'll say it again. if your SA likes you, he's more willing to take care of you and your car...i've been working with mine for 6 + yrs and everyone in service knows me now and my tendencies with the my cars...ie make her happy otherwise it'll be ugly).

if your dealer service dept truly doesn't care...find a new dealer. there is a reason why i keep going to mine...

as far as your engine problem...my first thought was motor mounts. have a look see at those first if you can...after that....see if any others will have chimed in on their thoughts.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 08 Type S does the same thing I believe it may have something to do with the temperature sensor.