Car moving very slowly or not moving at all

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car moving very slowly or not moving at all

I was driving and came to a full stop at traffic light, then proceeded to drive when the car felt like it was not moving, it felt like the car was in neutral position. The car revved up to 7000rpm and only moved about 20mph. I pulled over and placed the car in park position and turned off the car and started it again. The car when gassed moved very slowly and again felt like it was in neutral position. I did this two more times until finally the car did not move at all. I kept the car shut off for about 20 minutes and then restarted it, was able to drive fine. After about 30 minutes at home, everything seemed normal again. The mileage on this car is about 60,000. Does this sound like a transmission or a programming problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no expert on this stuff but did you try to put it in reverse or any gear besides drive? At 7000rpm if that thing locked up you would have smoked the tires or probably done some real serious damage to the drive system.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Seriously. Sticking it on the rev-limiter when the transmission is slipping is no good. It greatly reduces your chances of a quick fix. On top of that, it's harder on the engine to rev it that high with no load.

First thing is to check the fluid level and condition.

You could have a filter plugging up and when you shut if off, the debris falls back to the bottom and it works again for a while.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Seriously. Sticking it on the rev-limiter when the transmission is slipping is no good. It greatly reduces your chances of a quick fix. On top of that, it's harder on the engine to rev it that high with no load.

First thing is to check the fluid level and condition.

You could have a filter plugging up and when you shut if off, the debris falls back to the bottom and it works again for a while.
I replace the oil and the tranmision fluid aweek ago.(i notice the tranmision fluid was black, the last time I change it was 15k ago)

My machanic also say the samething, that the filter plugging up and when you shut if off, the debris falls back to the bottom and it works again for a while.

I just order the tranmision filter, see what the out come

Thx for the fast respone and advice .
Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Have you checked the level and condition since it started acting up?

I hate to say it but the filter probably won't fix it. Can't hurt to try though.

There's a non servicable screen inside of the trans and then the replacable paper element on the outside.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Have you checked the level and condition since it started acting up?

I hate to say it but the filter probably won't fix it. Can't hurt to try though.

There's a non servicable screen inside of the trans and then the replacable paper element on the outside.
The fluid level and condition is good.

I replace the tranny filter, Car ran ok for like 35min starter to act up again .So I call my machanic up at 8 am today, He came over to take a look at the problem. He told me that my tranny is on it last leg and also the tranny was making a high pitch sound when u gas it.

So I clean it up and drove it down to the dealer for TRADE IN (sale dept).
They look at the condition of the body/interior/of the car (did not even test drove).

Got there at 11am,at 12 noon I drove out with a 2010 TL SH/AWD AT

Last edited by revolt; 10-18-2010 at 11:52 PM.