Car is burning oil quick

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car is burning oil quick

I have an 05 tl manual tranny that I bought five months ago, when I did my first oil change only 2 and half quarts came out of the engine, now around 2000 miles later the car is really low on oil, it says 50% of oil life and on the stick it's about less than 1/2 when around 1000 miles from the oil change it was 1/4 ( I hope this makes sense).
I'm using mobil 1 oil and the m 110 filter.
I'm taking the car to shop tomorrow.
What should i check before I go to the shop?
Anyone has any suggestions as what could be the problem?
Car has 101.156 miles.

Would the spark plugs have anything to do with the oil burning.

Any input at all would be appreciated thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
It's more likely to have an oil leak than oil burning. Usually from the oil pump or rear main seal.
The following users liked this post:
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Spark plugs have a lot to do with it, they ignite the oil and it burns. How is the oil gets inside is the question. Any smoke? In a morning? At high RPM? How does the oil look like dark or still looks fresh?

Last edited by Acura-OC; 09-18-2012 at 12:26 AM.
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
Spark plugs have a lot to do with it, they ignite the oil and it burns. How is the oil gets inside is the question. Any smoke? In a morning? At high RPM? How does the oil look like dark or still looks fresh?
I haven't smelled anything weird. I don't really drive the car hard so I rarely bring the rpm's higher than 3.500, the oil does look fresh. If I can't find any leaks anywhere I guess I'll do the spark plugs an oil change again and wait and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
You really should notice that amount of oil being consumed.

If you don't see any obvious leaks, the car runs fine, and the plugs aren't coated with oil, my vote is screw it and get an extra QT or two for periodic top offs.
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edgarr
I haven't smelled anything weird. I don't really drive the car hard so I rarely bring the rpm's higher than 3.500, the oil does look fresh. If I can't find any leaks anywhere I guess I'll do the spark plugs an oil change again and wait and see what happens.
I was sarcastic about the spark plugs. Do not waste you time and money on replacement. If oil looks fresh than it sounds like a leak. Add more oil and keep looking, small amount of oil leak will not show you a puddle under a car it will be thinly spread on the engine, body and plastic covers.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I was sarcastic about the spark plugs. Do not waste you time and money on replacement.
Acura-OC brings up a good point. Don't start throwing money at a problem just because one stranger on the internet says so.

If your car really is burning oil - that means a lot of it is getting into the combustion chamber. This means engine parts are worn and will need to be replaced. If this is true, your car will be smoking - are you seeing whitish/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust; especially at startup?

As Acura-OC said; it's probably a leak unless you've abused the engine.
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I am not convinced that OP has even checked oil at same temp and not on a slope etc. have oil changed or top off to a known point on dipstick at the same temp and location begin checking periodically and see if there is a change.
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by roof2006
Acura-OC brings up a good point. Don't start throwing money at a problem just because one stranger on the internet says so.

If your car really is burning oil - that means a lot of it is getting into the combustion chamber. This means engine parts are worn and will need to be replaced. If this is true, your car will be smoking - are you seeing whitish/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust; especially at startup?

As Acura-OC said; it's probably a leak unless you've abused the engine.
I have to change the spark plus anyway cuz i have 100k miles, I wasn't going to do iy just because someone said I should do it.
At start up I do see white smoke coming out of the exhaust but I haven't really smelled anything weird. I don't really drive the car hard. the guy I bought the car from took care of the car and drove it like an adult, he did tell me he change the oil every 5000 miles.

I don't see any leaks anywhere, I will be taking the car to a shop today and see what they tell me.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
white smoke when cold is typical. LOTS of white smoke, especially with a sweet smell to it, is bad. that means you are burning coolant, not oil.

if you're burning oil, the smoke out the exhaust would be a blueish color. you will definitely smell oil.

by your description, it seems you have a leak somewhere more than anything. changing the spark plugs is kind of pointless to use to troubleshoot, because you are trying to find where the oil is going/coming out, not improve the way the car is burning it (if thats the case).
edgarr (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sixsixfour
white smoke when cold is typical.
You mean "white steam from condensation when cold is normal." Smoke is caused by something burning (oil); which is not normal.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by roof2006
You mean "white steam from condensation when cold is normal." Smoke is caused by something burning (oil); which is not normal.
yes. white steam vs smoke.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced

I still haven't been able to get the car checked or try to check it myself. I got a couple questions that have been running through my head.

When the car is running the dipsticks shows that the oil is low less than 1/2. When car is turned off it shows that the oil is good, it stops right at the top, right before the RCA letters. Which one should I pay attention to?

On the oil life it says 50%, I have driven between 2.000 to 2.500 miles in less or about two months. I don't know if the oil life is going down too fast or it's supposed to be like
that. I noticed that around every two weeks it goes down 10%. Does this happen to you guys? I put about 300 miles a week.

To everyone that has posted their opinions thank you very much.

Last edited by edgarr; 09-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
white smoke when cold is typical. LOTS of white smoke, especially with a sweet smell to it, is bad. that means you are burning coolant, not oil.

if you're burning oil, the smoke out the exhaust would be a blueish color. you will definitely smell oil.

by your description, it seems you have a leak somewhere more than anything. changing the spark plugs is kind of pointless to use to troubleshoot, because you are trying to find where the oil is going/coming out, not improve the way the car is burning it (if thats the case).
I will check the smoke or steam tomorrow morning.
changing the spark plugs is something that's due now, so I figured might as well do it now. But you are right, I should find out first what is happening before doing the spark plugs and hoping that was the problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Racer

You have no problem, just keep checking it every morning before you start your engine, for a few weeks. Measuring it at the same time with same conditions (cold engine) will give you more appropriate stats. But so far what you've said: 1) Oil is clean. 2) Morning steam.

It looks like you are driving about 1K miles per month and MID goes down by 20% at the same time = 5K miles. Looks right to me.

Do not do anything at this time just keep monitoring oil level for now, once a day at the same time preferably in the morning when engine is still cold and oil had a chance to drip down.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced

You have no problem, just keep checking it every morning before you start your engine, for a few weeks. Measuring it at the same time with same conditions (cold engine) will give you more appropriate stats. But so far what you've said: 1) Oil is clean. 2) Morning steam.

It looks like you are driving about 1K miles per month and MID goes down by 20% at the same time = 5K miles. Looks right to me.

Do not do anything at this time just keep monitoring oil level for now, once a day at the same time preferably in the morning when engine is still cold and oil had a chance to drip down.
Yea, it does sound like everything is fine, but I can't get out of my head that when I did the first oil change only 2 and half quarts came out. I'm just really paranoid about the whole situation.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
I had a leak in mine, the threads on the oil pan had stripped out and oil was getting by. Easy to notice if you have it on a lift there will be oil on the oil pan near the drain bolt.

The stock pans are aluminum so easy to damage the threads if its over tightened.

This one was my fault .. I fixed it myself though with a Time-Sert, was able to tap it and installed the Time-Sert steel threads into the pan, same drain bolt fits and no need to remove the pan.

I just saved the oil that I drained out before installing the time-sert and once it was in I ran the old oil back through it to flush out any metal shavings that may have been left in the pan, I have a magnetic drain bolt too.

Last edited by mzilvar; 09-20-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mzilvar
I had a leak in mine, the threads on the oil pan had stripped out and oil was getting by. Easy to notice if you have it on a lift there will be oil on the oil pan near the drain bolt.

The stock pans are aluminum so easy to damage the threads if its over tightened.

This one was my fault .. I fixed it myself though with a Time-Sert, was able to tap it and installed the Time-Sert steel threads into the pan, same drain bolt fits and no need to remove the pan.

I just saved the oil that I drained out before installing the time-sert and once it was in I ran the old oil back through it to flush out any metal shavings that may have been left in the pan, I have a magnetic drain bolt too.
After a repair like that, you should consider a drain valve instead of a plug.

I had an oil change one day. I pull off the plug and along comes the time sert, right on the plug. Could just be done improperly though.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I looked under the car and right under the oil pan( don't know how it's called) theres like burnt oil all over it, looks like mud. There was some of that mud looking thing on the pan too. there was a little bit of oil around the one of the screws too. So I guess that's where the oil it's leaking from.

I finally got an appointment for tomorrow morning, guy said he would put a cast under the car or something like that, then drive for a bit and that will tell us where the leak is coming from.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by edgarr
I looked under the car and right under the oil pan( don't know how it's called) theres like burnt oil all over it, looks like mud. There was some of that mud looking thing on the pan too. there was a little bit of oil around the one of the screws too. So I guess that's where the oil it's leaking from.

I finally got an appointment for tomorrow morning, guy said he would put a cast under the car or something like that, then drive for a bit and that will tell us where the leak is coming from.
I would spray brake cleaner to get it all nice and clean and then run the engine at 2k rpm for 15 mins.
If it's a big leak, you'll see it drip. If you don't see anything then just drive it for a week, if there's a leak it'll show up.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
I would spray brake cleaner to get it all nice and clean and then run the engine at 2k rpm for 15 mins.
If it's a big leak, you'll see it drip. If you don't see anything then just drive it for a week, if there's a leak it'll show up.
Good idea, thanks.