CAI, Water Puddle, Car shut off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CAI, Water Puddle, Car shut off...

I accidentally went over this huge puddle of water (not realizing how deep it was), and the car shut off. I do have a CAI on there, and first thing i thought of was water getting in. Let the car stay off as the water almost started coming into my floorboard. Popped the hood, removed the intake from the throttle body and started it back up. It at first idled terribly, but i was able to get home. It did shut off one more time. I called a buddy and he recommended i leave the car on and idled for about 20 minutes to "dry" out the water, then put the intake back on. Maybe run seafoam on it this weekend or later on in the week.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
D'oh! Your friend is a giving you bad advice if he thinks you should just let it idle to get rid of the water. Water is incompressible and will only damage things. Although, you could have already done the damage by driving it home. Let's hope your pistons and connecting rods are ok. Check your plugs. My advice is not to run your engine at all until you get it checked out.
The following users liked this post:
Grey Gonzalez (08-24-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM
2004 SSM TL

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran into something very similar like four months ago. Except my car shut off and it wouldn't turn over after turning the key a few times. I opened my door and the water level was an inch away from flooding my interior. I had no idea the water level was that deep. I was turning into a plaza and the road dipped right where the entrance to the plaza was. It was raining and I usually will use the water level on the curb as my reference point. Because the area where the road meets the plaza didn't go past halfway of the curb height. I thought I was ok. Needless to say, the dip hid how deep it was. Anyways, to make a long story short, I was towed out of the water to my house. Removed the spark plugs and saw water in the two cylinders in the far left when facing the engine (#5 and #6, I believe). Turned the ignition and the engine turned over and spit out water. It went like 6 feet in the air and the jet of water went as far as 10-12 feet away. I removed the water I could with a small tube attached to a sort of vacuum cleaner and let the car sit for 48 hours. After two days, changed the spark plugs, checked the oil, turned the ignition and let it run for like an hour.

The rest as they say is history. All the work was done under my brother-in-law's supervision who's ASE Certified.

Good luck with yours.
The following users liked this post:
Grey Gonzalez (08-24-2013)