A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C question

i noticed that the air coming out of the vents isn't coming out very hard like all of my other cars i have prievously owned. I have not been in another TL, so i don't know if this is normal or not. It still gets cold, just the air dosen't blow out like my wifes Altima.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
When on automatic, the fan will adjust, but I've found that unless extremely hot inside the car, the fan runs on a lower speed than what I have been accustomed to. All our other ATC equipped cars have really roared when first started when interior hot. Having said that I have found that the TL will cool quite quickly and remain cool even though the fan operates at a lower speed. You can always adjust it manually to increase the blower speed.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbonut
When on automatic, the fan will adjust, but I've found that unless extremely hot inside the car, the fan runs on a lower speed than what I have been accustomed to. All our other ATC equipped cars have really roared when first started when interior hot. Having said that I have found that the TL will cool quite quickly and remain cool even though the fan operates at a lower speed. You can always adjust it manually to increase the blower speed.
No complaints about the car getting cool, just that i am use to having a car that when the a/c is on high, the air comes out really hard. I guess i dont have anything to worry about. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
standard questions.. clean cabin filter? does it not blow at all sometimes? fresh or recirculated air?

make sure your cabin A/C filter is clean.. if it doesn't blow at all sometimes then that indicates a bad blower motor. If you have it set on fresh air try switching to recirculated air.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo
standard questions.. clean cabin filter? does it not blow at all sometimes? fresh or recirculated air?

make sure your cabin A/C filter is clean.. if it doesn't blow at all sometimes then that indicates a bad blower motor. If you have it set on fresh air try switching to recirculated air.

Just changed cabin filter about 6 mon ago. I am thinking it is normal. I am used to nissans though. The a/c's in them feel like a leaf blower on your face. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Mine flies out of the vents. Check your settings and also the floor vents to make sure all of the air is being sent to the dash vents.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bdogg77
i noticed that the air coming out of the vents isn't coming out very hard like all of my other cars i have prievously owned. I have not been in another TL, so i don't know if this is normal or not. It still gets cold, just the air dosen't blow out like my wifes Altima.
mine just gives a gentle breeze on high too. theres a lot of vents that share the flow and they probably want it quiet, but it still takes a long time to cool my car when its been sitting in the sun. that interior just holds the heat like crazy. and wheres the cooled seats like the RL has, or even the Avalon? love the black leather, but too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer, sadly cloth is more comfy.

i should say though, that the little air coming out is very cold. the a/c in my 2005 is colder than some other 2009 cars i've driven, it just doesnt blow hard enough.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

You people who are only getting a light to medium airflow from your dash vents when the fan is set to high should check your system out. I just now checked my '04 and on high, it blows pretty hard. You can feel it quite a bit sitting in the back seat from the front dash vents.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You people who are only getting a light to medium airflow from your dash vents when the fan is set to high should check your system out. I just now checked my '04 and on high, it blows pretty hard. You can feel it quite a bit sitting in the back seat from the front dash vents.
What should i check? Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

We are saying is that in auto the fan does not run at the highest speed, but cools perfectly. Very rarely is the fan running on the highest setting as it seems that you can always raise the speed manually. With the fan set on high manually, naturally it blows considerably harder. No problems with the system.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
I generally set my TL climate control on "Auto" and 71*F-- it works really well (even with record heat from Sunday-Tuesday here in Los Angeles), so I've never manually used the "Hi" setting.

On hot days, after the car has been started and running for a few seconds, the CC will spool up (in a refined graduated way, rather than instant-on) to blow high for a few minutes until the interior cools, then slows the fan speed to maintain the temp. When starting the car on a hot day, the A/C air flow can come out pretty hard.
On cooler days and when the interior is cooled, the A/C air flow is pretty subtle unless a vent directs air towards the face, which will get cold. I direct the vents away from body parts usually, except when it's really hot.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

We are saying is that in auto the fan does not run at the highest speed, but cools perfectly. Very rarely is the fan running on the highest setting as it seems that you can always raise the speed manually. With the fan set on high manually, naturally it blows considerably harder. No problems with the system.
Yes, with the exception of hot weather and a hot interior, I find that to be the case, too. However, I only use the Auto setting in the summer when I am of a mind to use my A/C. Otherwise, everything stays in Manual mode. I find this works much better for my purposes.

Sorry gentlemen for any confusion there.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bdogg77
What should i check? Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
I have been corrected in the respect that people were speaking about using the Auto mode for their CC setting. I only use that mode in the summer when I may want or need to use the A/C. All other times, I use the Manual mode as I find this works better for me.

If you really do have a problem with your vents properly opening (and this certain can and does happen), work them manually from one position to another several times while checking the vent openings. This did happen once to me last year and doing what I just described fixed it and it has never occurred since.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

I have been corrected in the respect that people were speaking about using the Auto mode for their CC setting. I only use that mode in the summer when I may want or need to use the A/C. All other times, I use the Manual mode as I find this works better for me.
No problem, just a misinterpretation. We leave ours on auto at all times, and can never complain about the quickness of cool down, or the efficiency of the heating system. The only problem I see as have others, is in cold weather, the inside cabin temp isn't maintained properly and the need for adjusting the temp setting up a few notches. There was a thread on this a while back.

At times we actually moved the system to manual to change the air flow direction. Maybe SoutherBoy has a tip, manual in winter auto in summer!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Auto Mode.. ah c'mon.. details people!

I never use the Auto mode b/c it usually blows hard for an extended time. That would indicate to me that there is a possible issue if you guys experience the opposite & it blows hard when you manually increase the blower speed.. hmm..
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Instructor

No problem, just a misinterpretation. We leave ours on auto at all times, and can never complain about the quickness of cool down, or the efficiency of the heating system. The only problem I see as have others, is in cold weather, the inside cabin temp isn't maintained properly and the need for adjusting the temp setting up a few notches. There was a thread on this a while back.

At times we actually moved the system to manual to change the air flow direction. Maybe SoutherBoy has a tip, manual in winter auto in summer!
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Majofo
Auto Mode.. ah c'mon.. details people!

I never use the Auto mode b/c it usually blows hard for an extended time. That would indicate to me that there is a possible issue if you guys experience the opposite & it blows hard when you manually increase the blower speed.. hmm..
All the ATC units I've had, including the TL, will have the fan motor at a lower speed after reaching the desired temp, meaning that the fan motor can always be increased manually. Not only will the fan blow slower, the recirculate door will open to draw in outside air which will also cause less noise. Absolutely nothing wrong with the unit, at least in mine, just normal operating conditions.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 AM

All the ATC units I've had, including the TL, will have the fan motor at a lower speed after reaching the desired temp, meaning that the fan motor can always be increased manually. Not only will the fan blow slower, the recirculate door will open to draw in outside air which will also cause less noise. Absolutely nothing wrong with the unit, at least in mine, just normal operating conditions.
Agreed.. but initially it goes max speed and it's pretty hard. I guess I'm confused.. is the problem that people want the blower to blow hard in AUTO when the cabin has reached a desired temp? well.. I suggest everyone manually control the A/C blower.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by southernboy
mine flies out of the vents. Check your settings and also the floor vents to make sure all of the air is being sent to the dash vents.
+1
Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Here's what I have found to work quite well with my '04. During the off months, as in those months when I don't use my A/C, I never use the Auto setting at all. Plus I never use the defrost button. The reason I do this is because the Auto setting and the defrost will cycle the A/C. I have found that in cold or moderate temperatures, the manual settings work great and do exactly what I want and need them to do. I select whatever temperature I want, and most the time I use fan speed two or three. Then I use my Nav to direct flow to the locations where I want it to go. For defrosting, I also use the manual setting without the A/C (except in summer when necessary) and never have a problem clearing my windshield. My cabin stays quite comfortable and the system works very well.

During those times when I do use the A/C (not all as much as some, I'm sure), I always use the Auto setting because I have found it to do the best job in cooling the cabin.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ How do you use your nav to change the airflow ?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Nismo TL yo!

I think he just meant the buttons next to the nav, not the touchscreen itself. However, you can control the airflow through the nav if you've done the climate control nav hack, not worth doing IMO.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
I think he just meant the buttons next to the nav, not the touchscreen itself. However, you can control the airflow through the nav if you've done the climate control nav hack, not worth doing IMO.
He can use the Navi if he has the Navi Hack installed.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

The stock system will completely control you climate control. You can change everything from flow direction to fan speed to whatever settings you wish.

To change the flow from the floor to the dash just press the Activate voice command button you your steering wheel and say, "Climate Control dash". The flow will be directed to the center dash vents. Then say, "Temperature 62 (or 62 degress)" and that is where the system will set your temperature. Same thing with fan speed.

And my fault. I didn't mean Nav. I meant the voice commands... sorry people for the misdirection there.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
acura master tech

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
close the rear vents in the arm rest .
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

I used my A/C Saturday evening for the first time this season (first time means actual use and not just running it for 5 minutes to exercise it). Outside temp was 95. I set it on 68 degrees and used the Auto setting. Happy to see all was well. I did notice that the cabin temperature came down quickly enough that after about 10 minutes, it switched from recirculate to outside air.

Only thing is getting used to the extra drag on the engine. Though very minor, it does pull the engine speed down quicker between shifts so I have to adjust my shift timing when the A/C is on. Such is the thing with small, low torque engines.