AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Broken pinch bolt - Drill out and buy longer bolt? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/broken-pinch-bolt-drill-out-buy-longer-bolt-839139/)

guitarplayer16 11-18-2011 11:32 AM

Broken pinch bolt - Drill out and buy longer bolt?

Hey

I still have a broken pinch bolt on my front passenger side that holds the shock to the fork mount.

I've tried almost everything to get the bolt out but it's damn stuck.

I was just wondering, can I just drill out the whole bolt (and most likely ruin the threaded side of the fork mount) and just buy a longer bolt and use a nut at the end to tighten the new shock to the fork mount?

I just wonder if it'll be strong enough.

Cliffs:
- Pinch bolt head snapped off
- Wondering if I can drill out the whole bolt which will most likely ruin the threading inside
- Buy a long bolt and put a flange nut to the end of it (essentially converting a pinch bolt design into a classic bolt and nut design)
- Will it work good enough?

Thanks!

Bearcat94 11-18-2011 02:35 PM

If you drill it out can't you re-tap/heliocoil the fork for a new bolt?

Or why not just get a new fork for ~$70?

justnspace 11-18-2011 02:39 PM

^i thought that was the direction you were going to goo?

"if justin had tobuy a new radiator..."

guitarplayer16 11-18-2011 02:46 PM

Just trying to save some money lol

I called my Honda dealer the other day and he said it was $81 but he said it was on backorder and it won't arrive until mid-December.

I suppose I can order it online or heads to a junk yard.

justnspace 11-18-2011 02:52 PM

^lol, I tried to save money by buying springs instead of coils.
I ended up spending about $700 all together. Yikes.

this included:
shocks
gas money
radiator
and paid time to use the spring compressor.

johnny3 11-19-2011 07:08 AM

Take the fork off & drill the stub out, get a grade 6 or 8 (aircraft quality) bolt & nut that will pass thru there, use a lock washer or double nut it.

Jesstzn 11-19-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by johnny3 (Post 13373443)
Take the fork off & drill the stub out, get a grade 6 or 8 (aircraft quality) bolt & nut that will pass thru there, use a lock washer or double nut it.

Preferably grade 8 fine thread ... anything less can snap.

guitarplayer16 11-19-2011 09:25 AM

Thanks guys!

Where can I get a "grade 8 fine thread"?

And I can't take the fork off without drilling the bolt out first because there's a notch at the bottom of the shock absorber that the pinch bolt goes through.

That being said I have to do it the harder way and drill out the pinch bolt while it's on the car.

KN_TL 11-19-2011 11:51 AM

Fastenal's appear to be everywhere these days. They should have them.

I wouldn't do anything short of replacing the fork and maybe using a stronger bolt.

guitarplayer16 11-19-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by KN_TL (Post 13373705)
Fastenal's appear to be everywhere these days. They should have them.

Thanks man.

Damn the closest one is an hour away from me.

I think I'll just "temporarily" use the one I bought at Home Depot that says 8.8 on it (I think that's a grade 5) until I have business in the place an hour away, which is soon lol