Brake Caliper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake Caliper Issue

Good afternoon,

As I noted in the post sharing information about my new used car, I added new brakes and rotors all around. The shop installed 'premium' NAPA rotors and NAPA quiet ceramic pads. All this week, the car had been screeching when small amounts of pressure was put on the brake pedal. I went back to the shop on Friday and took a shop worker on a ride with me. I was able to replicate the noise and I declared the front pads to be the issue. He decided to replace the fronts pads.

Fast forward about 30 minutes, and they tell me that one of my front calipers is bad. Specifically, they noted that the piston boots were worn and there was some leaking. They recommended I do both at the same time. I did not do the service because I'm going to get a second opinion.

The pads were replaced and the screeching stopped started again today.

I'm not too sure how the calipers would affect pads but would they cause the pads to go bad? The tech said sometimes NAPA pads have bad batches, which wasn't reassuring.

Car has 51k miles and I'm not sure if calipers should go out that early?

If indeed I have to replace the calipers, should I replace them with aftermarket or retain OEM? If I go aftermarket, what do you all recommend? And would there be a kit available that includes rotors and pads? I'll bite the bullet and get new rotors and pads if I have. I just want good performing brakes and that are quiet and create little to no dust.

And if you're wondering, the dealership mentioned they would replace the calipers under the limited warranty due to safety but I do not trust them to put OEM parts and a good quality aftermarket part.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Dimensions; 06-21-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is under warranty then I would let them fix it because if anything else happens they will be liable for it.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
First off you can replace 1 caliper and retain the current pads and rotors. I'd certainly be suspect as to the explanation as why they didn't see the damage when the pads and rotors were replaced. 51K is mighty early to have the caliper go bad, but not unheard of. Also for the squealing, as you slow done with light pressure noise is evident, but when heavy pressure applied, noise ceases? If so apply anti-squeal solution to the back of the pads.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

That is correct. Light pressure causes the squeaks but when I hit it with the boots, it goes away. I will head to my main mechanic tomorrow so he can take a peak at it.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1 to information mentioned above

Did you go through a bed-in procedure for the new components as well?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 times break hard from 50mph to 10mph
then I think its like 30mph to 10 mph
dont let your brakes cool down till your done with this process.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Intermediate

Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. I didn't go through the bed in process. Per your suggestions, I went through process. I could smell what I can only describe as burning of the brakes. I'm not sure if I was supposed to notice the difference right away but the screeching was all gone once I got home after I cooled the brakes by cruising on the highway.

2. Got my second opinion today about the caliper. Seems that my front right caliper has more wear than the left which can apparently be seen by a mark being left on the rotor. He says I definitely need to have it repaired but it's definitely not at the level of urgency that the other shop had said. There is no leakage just a worn boot but it's not, at least from what I can feel, impeding braking capability. He recommended changing to avoid issue related to uneven wear.

3. Unrelated to brakes, I had the car rebalanced at the shop because my car had been vibrating at high speeds. Turns out, while on the balance machine, the tech found that three of the four tires were bent but all the tires were balanced. Not cool! I found a gentleman on ebay who sells the stock remanufactured rims for a good price but I was cautioned by the tech that the TL rims tend to get bent often due his experiences with other TL owners coming to the shop. Any recommendations here? I originally wanted to retain these wheels for use with winter tires and purchase a set of rims next spring to get with a fresh set of summer tires. So purchasing a set was unexpected. For the same money, I can purchase a set stock wheels from the 07, 08 TLs. Are those any more durable or about the same? The reason I want to stay with these wheels is so I can keep the tires I currently have since I obviously don't want to switch to winter tires yet.

Thanks for reading!!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure u had the right caliper grease put on the pads before they were installed.....and also u can buy a piston boot kit from honda and put a new seal on it