Best Multi-purpose grease to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Best Multi-purpose grease to use?

Like everyone else, my mirrors need to be cleaned and regreased. My passenger front window more often than not, likes to not go up when I try to roll up the window. It takes a few tries, it goes up about an inch and goes back down. Have to do a few times b4 th window goes all the way up. And just on Monday, my rear driver side window won't go down more than an 1.5 inches. I am figuring with the passenger window, I might just have to grease the tracks? So what do you guys suggest as a good grease that I can use for these problems?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tlmailman
Like everyone else, my mirrors need to be cleaned and regreased. ...
I have an RDX rather than a TL, but I would assume that the guts of the mirror mechanism is similar, and that you wish to grease the gears and levers - which are plastic. Its been awhile since I looked inside my own mirrors, but I do not remember any metal gears - anyway ...

Regular greases - like chassis grease - will attack, damage, and generally deteriorate plastic. You need a grease that can be used for both plastic and metal.

I would suggest either Molykote MH-62 or SuperLube. Molykote can be purchased from any Honda/ Acura dealer. Superlube can be purchased from any ACE hardware. I would probably use the Superlube - its cheaper and probably more water resistent.

For more info about both greases, which are PAO (synthetic) based, click on this link and scroll down about halfway in the first post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862172

Originally Posted by tlmailman
... My passenger front window more often than not, likes to not go up when I try to roll up the window. It takes a few tries, it goes up about an inch and goes back down. ...
This is a known problem, see Acura TSB 10-014, May 25, 2010, all TSBs are available online somewhere on the TL forum.

Basically, clean the window channels and then grease with Shin-Etsu p/n 08798-9013, which is fairly expensive, depending upon your source.

I would urge you to actually read the TSB, as the procedure is described in detail. Its also possible that the problem simply requires a MANUAL RESET of the AUTO UP feature - not sure from your description of the problem, what is actually wrong with your windows.

And you may also need to grease the interior door window mechanism - you will need to look elsewhere for more info. SuperLube would be a good choice for that.

Anyway, for cleaning the window channels - I would add to the TSB, to use a Q-tip and clean the channels first using ArmorAll Original protectant (which is just silicone and water).

Shin-Etsu grease is just a thinner version of di-electric grease, which is available from Permatex or other source. Both are just silicone grease.

Di-electric grease is a bit thick, in my opinion, for this use. I would suggest instead using SuperLube, if you do not wish to buy the Shin-Etsu.

---eof
The following users liked this post:
tlmailman (07-29-2013)