Best MTF for heavy spirited driving, occasional track use, and grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014 | 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Best MTF for heavy spirited driving, occasional track use, and grinding

I have 07 6 speed TL Type S and recently over the winter is has started to grind randomly at cold temperatures when going into 3rd gear. Sometimes 2nd and 4th as well. I was told to get GM Synchromesh to help remove the grinding from the transmission. I recently bought the car used and it I have put about 6,000KM on it and it only started grinding since the temperature dropped.

Anyways. I have done one MTF change with Honda MTF and it was better for a little bit and it is still grinding occasionally (and it is still cold, I think it has a lot to do with the very cold weather I have been exposed to).

I am looking for the best MTF for heavy spirited driving, that I will run on track sessions occasionally, and will also be my daily; keeping in mind I would like to solve the grinding issue without rebuilding the transmission until I really need to.

Would the GM Synchromesh be considered a good performance MTF as well? Or should I get some Motul MTF?

What is your thoughts?
Old 03-01-2014 | 07:34 AM

we only change to the GM syncromesh to fix the grinding.
there is something in the fluid that helps with lubrication. maybe its the "modified friction" part of the fluid. who know, unless you're a chemist or want to investigate why the GM syncromesh is soo much better than the honda stuff.

with that being said, compare the chemistry or 'ingredients' between the GM stuff and the Motul stuff.

the tranny fluid is for lubrication only..with heat being the only 'performance' issue.
so if you have a good tranny fluid that holds up to the heat and can provide great lubricity, use the that fluid. which we've found that the GM stuff does perfectly fine
Old 03-01-2014 | 12:46 PM
Instructor

Amsoil MTF or GM Syncromesh MTF.
Old 03-20-2014 | 11:25 PM
Intermediate

I put the friction modified syncromesh part #1093509 and it works really well. No issues yet! Feels thicker than the Honda MTF.