AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Batt light on after replaced and now wont start (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/batt-light-after-replaced-now-wont-start-797437/)

acuradfigueroa117 11-06-2010 07:55 PM

Batt light on after replaced and now wont start

Having alot of trouble. Tried jumping but wnt start and alt started smoking. New batt drained within an hour

I hate cars 11-06-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by acuradfigueroa117 (Post 12471954)
Having alot of trouble. Tried jumping but wnt start and alt started smoking. New batt drained within an hour

This is just generic info..... But most alternators have a diode in them. If this fails, the alternator turns into an electric motor and the battery powers it. You will probably be fine after replacing the alternator. You may want to check that the diode is internal with the alternator and not in the wiring. I've never seen one that's not internal but I've never messed with the Honda system before.

If it's not totally fried and you're curious, remove the belt and hook the battery up and see if the alt spins.

I hate cars 11-06-2010 09:25 PM

Member "Majofo" is an EE, he can probably help more than me.

After reading the title again, what have you done? It sounds like you replaced the alternator, or was it the battery?

nfnsquared 11-06-2010 09:53 PM

I think he's talking battery. If that's the case, I have to ask, did you connect it correctly. Don't laugh, it just happened to someone who was extremely tired when they put in the battery and they hooked it up backwards...

acuradfigueroa117 11-07-2010 06:30 AM

I noticed the batt light was on. so i changed it. car still started. also been hearing a whining noise. thought it was powersteering which was low. had autzone test alt while i put fluid. I did have the timing belt replaced 3 weeks ago.
just wierd, i have a 178,000 miles on the car. always maintained and never let me down. I want to try to figure it out because I just spent so much on the timing belt

04WDPSeDaN 11-07-2010 06:40 AM

A bad alternator will kill a new battery quickly. It's not being charged and while a battery that's been sitting in the store for a while would benifit having a quick charge after install. For this you would run your car, the alternator would charge the battery.

Things that are causing issuses for you

-Bad alternator (Smoke and battery light icon is more than enough proof)
-Bad Cell in the battery (Won't give you a battery light icon)
-Highly unlikely, terminals reversed. (Pos + Neg on wrong sides)
-Highly unlikely, Short somewhere.
-Highly unlikely, Bad Ecu which failed while replacing battery, possible short in circuit.

Suggestion:

Replace the alternator, get another battery and try it again. You should also use a "Memory" Saver while replacing the battery so you don't lose radio input with codes and any on board computer information. For example the ECU has already run some self-test this won't be lost if you had any codes in the system it won't be lost as well.

04WDPSeDaN 11-07-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by acuradfigueroa117 (Post 12472661)
I noticed the batt light was on. so i changed it. car still started. also been hearing a whining noise. thought it was powersteering which was low. had autzone test alt while i put fluid. I did have the timing belt replaced 3 weeks ago.
just wierd, i have a 178,000 miles on the car. always maintained and never let me down. I want to try to figure it out because I just spent so much on the timing belt

Sorry I did not read your update.

IF this was done at an Acura dealership they would test your battery and charging system. Now it is possible for it to have passed then but now have a failure.

Turbocoop 11-07-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 12472226)
I think he's talking battery. If that's the case, I have to ask, did you connect it correctly. Don't laugh, it just happened to someone who was extremely tired when they put in the battery and they hooked it up backwards...

haha, I was gonna say the same thing. I replaced the batt in my old lexus one night after it broke down, I was in downtown ghetto ass Savannah, Ga and I was in a hurry to say the least. I put it in backwards and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start. Luckily once I turned it around it worked fine.