Bad Morning! Will it get better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Morning! Will it get better?

So it was 35 in Houston this morning and i went out to warm up car for 10 mins. When i got in for drive to work check engine light was on!

So i drive to autozone and they check my battery and plug in the code reader and they say i have a bad batter and the 2 codes are
P0685 - ECM malfunction
P0108 - MAP/MAF/VAF sensor condition

So now i have to get new battery but i dunno if it was just the bad battery that caused the check engine light or if i have opened up a pain in the A$$ 2 weeks before christmas!

Anyone know if a new battery will fix the issues at hand? Am gonna get it looked at later but it is just for peace of mind while at work.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
As with any CEL, take it back to AZ, clear it, and see if it comes back up. I don't know if ECM means 'Evap Canister', which, if it does, may simply mean the gas cap is loose.

Retighten the cap, clear codes, and let us know if it pops back up.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when battery voltage is low it causes other false codes- dont sweat it-
have them retest the electrical charging system at battery install (free) and again once you have driven 45 minutes on freeway to fully charge the new battery
They are low when installed- its normal
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i drive home and stop for gas, fill up, make sure the cap is clicked 3 times and voila! the check engine light is off! funny thing is i make sure it clicks 3 times every time, guess the cold made it funny!

So anyway my TL was already scheduled for a courtesy winter check where they check the hoses, electrical etc and the shop is a big BG dealer (since i haven't been in US that long i never heard of BG products!)

Anyway they checked the battery etc, and all they came back with was that the hood shocks were failing and not keeping the hood open, it needs an alignment, and then they suggested i do:
Transmission fluid flush - 180
Power steering flush - 95
Fuel Injection - 180
Cooling system - 130
Brake fluid - 105

So im gonna hit up the garage posts to see how to do these on my own, was already planning the Fuel injection with seafoam this weekend anyway, the rest i will get to soon.

Thanks to DeathMetal and 01tl4tl for their positivity and not letting me stress it was gonna be major!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by N.I.toHTown
ok so i drive home and stop for gas, fill up, make sure the cap is clicked 3 times and voila! the check engine light is off! funny thing is i make sure it clicks 3 times every time, guess the cold made it funny!

So anyway my TL was already scheduled for a courtesy winter check where they check the hoses, electrical etc and the shop is a big BG dealer (since i haven't been in US that long i never heard of BG products!)

Anyway they checked the battery etc, and all they came back with was that the hood shocks were failing and not keeping the hood open, it needs an alignment, and then they suggested i do:
Transmission fluid flush - 180
Power steering flush - 95
Fuel Injection - 180
Cooling system - 130
Brake fluid - 105

So im gonna hit up the garage posts to see how to do these on my own, was already planning the Fuel injection with seafoam this weekend anyway, the rest i will get to soon.

Thanks to DeathMetal and 01tl4tl for their positivity and not letting me stress it was gonna be major!
How many miles are on it?

As long as you've been using gas from a top tier station, there's little reason to ever have to use a fuel injection cleaner no matter what kind of miles it has.

I don't like seafoam when used in the intake system. Breaking up carbon should only be done when necessary as it has the potential to hurt the engine even when done correctly. Straight water works great if you decide to do it. Spraying it from a spray bottle is the safest way.

Learn to do the list above yourself and you're talking well under $100.