Bad gas / burnt fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad gas / burnt fuel injectors

I apologize for this post - I know theres another similar, but I couldnt find it.
My car is currently at Open Road in Wayne NJ with the burnt fuel injectors (2) deal - which the tech is explaining is caused from "Bad gas" - they sent the gas off to Honda tech and they said that there is 12 % ethanol and because its a gas issue this is NOT a warranty issue to the tune of $600 +-. Open Road has suggested I fight Acura on this - any suggestions? Im at a loss on this.
Any help / guidance would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
~Lynn
Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curiosity, did you get a Check engine light? I would definately fight acura on this one! Then I would go back to the gas station that i bought my gas at. i dont know if you save your reciept but I would raise hell! i had bad gas but i didnt harm my engine that i know of!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Does the extra 2% really make a big difference?

In Michigan, we all run 10% ethanol. The two TLs in my family have been run on 10% ethnol for a total of over 85,000 miles, and there's no problem with the injectors at all. Makes me wonder if the dealership is just bullshitting...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

Yes - the check engine light came on and it was low on power. I dont have the receipt from the gas purchase and what Ive been doing is alternating between gas stations depending on the price of the gas (Exxon / Sunoco / Citgo). I also havent let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank - so how do I really know which gas station was the culprit? And as a side note - I *always* run Super in it - 93 Octane.
I am *really* disappointed in Acura on this one........
Thanks for the thoughts!
~Lynn
Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnR0
I apologize for this post - I know theres another similar, but I couldnt find it.
My car is currently at Open Road in Wayne NJ with the burnt fuel injectors (2) deal - which the tech is explaining is caused from "Bad gas" - they sent the gas off to Honda tech and they said that there is 12 % ethanol and because its a gas issue this is NOT a warranty issue to the tune of $600 +-. Open Road has suggested I fight Acura on this - any suggestions? Im at a loss on this.
Any help / guidance would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
~Lynn
What exactly is a "burnt" fuel injector? I am an ASE certified Tech and I have never heard of a burnt fuel injector. Ethanol WILL NOT harm injectors. You need to find out what is wrong with the injectors. They can only be clogged, which is not a warranty issue, or the windings can be bad, which is a warranty issue. Have you tried a new tank of fuel since this issue started? The problem with ethanol is that it will hold on to water easier the gasoline so your whole problem may be nothing more than water in your fuel. You should also find out what codes they pulled out of the computer. Did it specify a particular cylinder miss-fire, or a random multiple miss-fire?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
What exactly is a "burnt" fuel injector? I am an ASE certified Tech and I have never heard of a burnt fuel injector. Ethanol WILL NOT harm injectors. You need to find out what is wrong with the injectors. They can only be clogged, which is not a warranty issue, or the windings can be bad, which is a warranty issue. Have you tried a new tank of fuel since this issue started? The problem with ethanol is that it will hold on to water easier the gasoline so your whole problem may be nothing more than water in your fuel. You should also find out what codes they pulled out of the computer. Did it specify a particular cylinder miss-fire, or a random multiple miss-fire?
Im no ASE tech but I have to agree with the above. The term "burnt fuel injectors" in the title really grabbed my attention since it sounds fishy/odd to me as well. Clogged or failed comes to mind but definitely not "burnt"
Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Hubby just got off the phone w/Acura - all I have to pay for is the cost for them to pull & clean the tank and replace the fuel. $150.00 - MUCH better then $600.00....still not 100% happy about having to pay ANYTHING, but I'll take what I can at this point - I want my car back!
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
~Lynn
Old 05-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LynnR0
Hubby just got off the phone w/Acura - all I have to pay for is the cost for them to pull & clean the tank and replace the fuel. $150.00 - MUCH better then $600.00....still not 100% happy about having to pay ANYTHING, but I'll take what I can at this point - I want my car back!
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
~Lynn
Do you use the top tier gas?

http://www.toptiergas.com/

DEFINITELY stay away from older/poorly maintained/low-traffic gas stations.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Cruisin'

Well - I spoke too soon - check engine light came on this morning and its running poorly again - guess I'll be bringing it back in.
By top tier do you mean name branded gas? Yes, I always use Sunoco, Citgo or Exxon gas, 93 Octane. The last time I got gas it was at an Exxon station - which is the same station the dealership uses, and the same one they used to re-fill my tank yesterday. The service writer did tell me that he has another car in the shop right now with the same problems as mine and the lady claims the last place she got gas was at an Exxon too.
I just dunno, but this is frustrating as h*ll.....
Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions!
~Lynn
Old 05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Instructor

This time, get the computer fault code from them so we can understand what is going on.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Racer

Arrow Click on the link I provided for Top Tier Gas

Go to the website and read what is considered top tier gasoline.

It would have been interesting to see what ethanol percentage the other car had in the tank. It could be a bad shipment or gas to the station or the driver mix too much of something in the load he was carrying.

If you can work with the service advisor to find other customers using the same Exxon gas station and having the same problem, then I would send the gas station the bill for the repairs.