Shaking/vibrating when stopped at a red light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking/vibrating when stopped at a red light

this just started to happen recently. when stopped at a red light my car shakes a little but i notice it
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Check engine mounts, inspect balance shaft timing, test engine compression.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Racer

it shudders a little when im in park also. anyone know what this is? and about how much it cost to fix?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sogellagepul
Check engine mounts, inspect balance shaft timing, test engine compression.
no such thing on the V6

but for OP,
when was the last time your spark plugs where changed,
also how about the timing belt (a worn belt causes slop, and is not the most stable at keeping "perfect" timing, which is going to most apparent at idle, same with plugs too)

last thing is your mounts might be going out/shot, allowing more vibration into the cabin; fairly common on these cars

as far as cost, it is like asking how long my dick is, have never even seen the car, let alone figuring out what the problem is to start with...

also mileage on the car would help too...
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
[QUOTE=friesm2000;12723194 it is like asking how long my dick is, ..[/QUOTE]

And that can vary with timing and temperature
Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by friesm2000
no such thing on the V6

but for OP,
when was the last time your spark plugs where changed,
also how about the timing belt (a worn belt causes slop, and is not the most stable at keeping "perfect" timing, which is going to most apparent at idle, same with plugs too)

last thing is your mounts might be going out/shot, allowing more vibration into the cabin; fairly common on these cars

as far as cost, it is like asking how long my dick is, have never even seen the car, let alone figuring out what the problem is to start with...

also mileage on the car would help too...
its a 2008 and i got 38k on the TL
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
And that can vary with timing and temperature
, and very true

Originally Posted by chasingthecool
its a 2008 and i got 38k on the TL
my best guess would be mounts, more then likely (or forgot to add this one also, might be a bad tank of gas too; and are you making sure to fill it up with premium too?)

as far as $$$, warranty FTW (cause iirc it is something like 4year/60kmiles AT LEAST on Acura, and you are more then likely still under that, so free ) and one of the best things you can do is to get it documented that is has not been the smoothest at idle, so lets say they don't notice it this time; you can still show you have complained/mentioned about it before

and shit with Honda's lifetime warranties on the seat belts, i just got mine replaced at 125k miles and 8 years later, all for the cost of some gas $$$ (something like $750 if i had to have paid out of pocket)

Last edited by friesm2000; 02-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
We're seeing A LOT of threads on engines shaking @ slow/idle speeds. My mechanic said he's seen a lot of 3g TL's with engine coils going bad around this time (which was the problem with mine). That would be first bet.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
We're seeing A LOT of threads on engines shaking @ slow/idle speeds. My mechanic said he's seen a lot of 3g TL's with engine coils going bad around this time (which was the problem with mine). That would be first bet.
I see it a lot when I first start the car obviously and for awhile after. For such a nice car, you would think it would be smoother. I should look in to that because my mechanic said that since it is a ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) that is why....something about the ignition/fuel system being more efficient. It does drive me crazy.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
this just started to happen recently. when stopped at a red light my car shakes a little but i notice it
Does putting the car in neutral help stop it at all?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by wsudu
I see it a lot when I first start the car obviously and for awhile after. For such a nice car, you would think it would be smoother. I should look in to that because my mechanic said that since it is a ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) that is why....something about the ignition/fuel system being more efficient. It does drive me crazy.
if anything it would run better with said ignition/fuel system, due to a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture

BUT being a ULEV could could introduce additional issues for running smoothly though, and that would be the computer programming of the fuel/ignition timing (to take more advantage of the more efficient ignition/fuel systems)
or the additional restriction in the exhaust from the extra cats necessary in order to fully achieve the ULEV status

Originally Posted by csmeance
Does putting the car in neutral help stop it at all?
^^^ post #3 , also happens in park, which is ino different then neutral, as far as the load the engine actually sees (park is basically neutral but with the parking pawl engaged instead, to keep the car from moving unintentionally)
Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
maybe just a vacuum leak on the line to the motor mount? or possibly the mounts themselves although 38K is low for that.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
XDM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 06. The shop looked and said it wasn't the motor mounts, they ruled it out as just normal for the car. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Now that I got my bent rim fixed, I am down to a lot less vibration. But just sitting around in park I get a vibration through my steering wheel and through my driver's seat from the engine not idling very smooth. I thought about doing spark plugs and some fuel system cleaner. But now that I read this, i'll check the coils. I've also got a little warranty left so I'll take it in. 08 tl-s 5at, 48k.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I bought my TL brand new and it's never been the smoothest cold idling car. Once hot, it's hard to tell the engine is running sometimes. When I say hot, I mean the full core temp has been reached, not just the coolant gauge in the middle. This takes a solid 15 minutes.

Mounts don't have to be outright bad, they can soften or partially tear over time. I've replaced mine and it smoothed out the idle a lot but the old ones weren't torn.

High compression engines seem to idle rougher. I've never seen anything written on this but I've also noticed it on others. Probably why BMW clings on to the inline 6.

Cold idle is never very good with these cars. ULEV status has intentional misfires for the first 10 seconds or so and then it goes straight into closed loop feedback operation.

Some people remove the "boat anchor" behind attached to the back of the front bumper beam. It's a weight on the 5at that smooths out engine vibrations when at idle. It's a very subtle difference but you can tell if you pay attention especially with it in gear and the AC on.

You need to determine if it's a misfire or mounts. If you can't tell by sitting in the car, listen with your ear near the tailpipes. That's the only way to know which direction to take.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by BadVibe08
Now that I got my bent rim fixed, I am down to a lot less vibration. But just sitting around in park I get a vibration through my steering wheel and through my driver's seat from the engine not idling very smooth. I thought about doing spark plugs and some fuel system cleaner. But now that I read this, i'll check the coils. I've also got a little warranty left so I'll take it in. 08 tl-s 5at, 48k.
try something like 13-14k of warrenty work on the wife's car within like the past 6 months; like 8k or so on a new engine :whoops:; then another like 3k for a new clutch, which was not up to the task if you ask me , and the rest is just little things and such

, then just last week, same dealer, but different branch/brand, i took in my 03 tl for warrenty on the seatbelts, and walked out with out having to pay a dime (but then again i do buy a couple thousand in parts from them a year though , so they know me well )
Old 03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Racer

i took it to a shop and he said their was a little crack on the motor mounts. i guess that was the problem?

also i the power steering hose had a leak. im taking it to the dealership because it is still under warrranty
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
B A N N E D

i took it to a shop and he said their was a little crack on the motor mounts. i guess that was the problem?

also i the power steering hose had a leak. im taking it to the dealership because it is still under warrranty
possible, but if it is only a "little" crack, you might have to fight arm and leg to get them to replace them, because it is not "bad" enough yet (but i would still get them to document it though, so that if they do get worse, it has been reported before that you have had a vibration for a while)

as far as the p's leak, it should be still be leak free, so as long as it's not super hidden to see, you should have no issue with that (even if it is only seepage around a connection, what says it won't get worse at a later date; better to fix it early while the car is still relatively clean, instead of trying to clean up the mess at a later date)
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
5th Gear

My car shakes a little like its mis firing when i first start it and its cold but then it goes away. Its really getting annoying.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I bought my TL brand new and it's never been the smoothest cold idling car. Once hot, it's hard to tell the engine is running sometimes. When I say hot, I mean the full core temp has been reached, not just the coolant gauge in the middle. This takes a solid 15 minutes.

Mounts don't have to be outright bad, they can soften or partially tear over time. I've replaced mine and it smoothed out the idle a lot but the old ones weren't torn.

High compression engines seem to idle rougher. I've never seen anything written on this but I've also noticed it on others. Probably why BMW clings on to the inline 6.

Cold idle is never very good with these cars. ULEV status has intentional misfires for the first 10 seconds or so and then it goes straight into closed loop feedback operation.

Some people remove the "boat anchor" behind attached to the back of the front bumper beam. It's a weight on the 5at that smooths out engine vibrations when at idle. It's a very subtle difference but you can tell if you pay attention especially with it in gear and the AC on.

You need to determine if it's a misfire or mounts. If you can't tell by sitting in the car, listen with your ear near the tailpipes. That's the only way to know which direction to take.

IHC, which mounts did you replaced?? I did the front motor mount and the side mount as well as the dynamic damper install. My car does not vibrate during cold but just the normal misfire during warmups. When the car has reached the normal operating temps I do get a slight vibration during idle in gear at a traffic light or while waiting at a fastfood place. I can feel the steering vibrating as well as a very slight shake
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
4th Gear

Noise at the stop light "D" and "R"

Hi All,

I have a '06 TL w/19K miles..some humming and rattling noise (mostly on passenger front) and slight vibration at the stop light especially if I turn the steering wheel. Noise goes away when in "P" or "N"..Took it to the dealership and found out nothing, dude suggested it might be the gas or I should switch gas stations? I use 93 octane.. Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the same issue on my 08 TL with 34K.

The vibrations I have seem to get worse when the car is warm. Like others, the vibes are manly felt while the car is in D and sitting at a stop light.

I've checked the mounts and taken it to the dealer two times already and they couldn't find anything.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue or is it just something we have to deal with?

I'm a little concerned considering the vibrations are worse than another car I own that has a racing mount in it.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by 08WDPTL
The vibrations I have seem to get worse when the car is warm. Like others, the vibes are manly felt while the car is in D and sitting at a stop light.
Probably the EGR valve-- and you're under warranty (emissions control is 80K miles).

That happened to my TL yesterday, then the Check Engine Light came on today. One of my regular shops checked the code and said it was the EGR valve. The mechanics told me to bring it to the dealer under the emissions control warranty.

The other alternative is a sticky throttle body.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered but harmless

The EGR valve system is the only emissions-related part covered by the 4 year/50K mile warranty rather than by the emissions control warranty, per dealer, warranty literature and Acura Client Services.

$310 for the dealer to replace said EGR valve. I probably should have done it myself rather than checking the emissions control warranty after dropping the car with the dealer.

OTOH, the car idles well now, and the dealership-- Sierra Acura in Alhambra-- issues a nice inspection summary sheet which includes remaining tire and brake life at each corner.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it could also be the transmission mount had that happen on my toyota... and was shaking a lot when stopped while on D.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM
4th Gear

Exclamation ideas?

Does anyone think that a fuel injector service & throttle body cleaning is needed here to quite down the noise? Maybe the gas station i use has shit gasoline? 93 octane is all the same in every stations?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by steve5chang
Does anyone think that a fuel injector service & throttle body cleaning is needed here to quite down the noise?
I don't think either the FI or TB will cause the rattling noise@idle in gear-- search the term "heat shield" here: you may have a loose heat shield causing the rattling noise at idle and low rpm.

There were a couple of TSBs for the heat shield rattle (involved replacing fasteners), but IDK if they apply to the '06, so you may want to check the TSB thread too.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Vibration at idle Acura TL 2004

Please did anybody found a solution for this problem i have search like crazy all over the net i took the car to two different dealers they checked the motor mounts and there ok they told me the car vibrates a little but is normal i dont think this is normal i just bought the car 2 months ago with 40k miles one owner all the records,every time the car comes to a total stop and i have the foot on the brake you can feel the vibration not just in the steering wheel also in the driver seat and i think the rpm fluctuate to they go down and up like close to 500 rpm and back to 700 and kind stays there what i noticed to every time i put a load on the engine like A/C or turning the steering wheel when backing up on my driveway it feels worse same when you put the car from P to Drive or Reverse please did anybody had the same problem or close and found what was wrong.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Spikeice
Please did anybody found a solution for this problem i have search like crazy all over the net i took the car to two different dealers they checked the motor mounts and there ok they told me the car vibrates a little but is normal i dont think this is normal i just bought the car 2 months ago with 40k miles one owner all the records,every time the car comes to a total stop and i have the foot on the brake you can feel the vibration not just in the steering wheel also in the driver seat and i think the rpm fluctuate to they go down and up like close to 500 rpm and back to 700 and kind stays there what i noticed to every time i put a load on the engine like A/C or turning the steering wheel when backing up on my driveway it feels worse same when you put the car from P to Drive or Reverse please did anybody had the same problem or close and found what was wrong.
Any update? You didn't by chance just happen to get your tires replaced, alignment done at/around the time this has been happening, did you? I just submitted a post about this excessive vibration that wasn't there a single bit before I had new tires and the alignment done. I drive about 200 miles a day, so I'm very well in-tune with how my car feels/drives. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by lynnjerjor
Any update? You didn't by chance just happen to get your tires replaced, alignment done at/around the time this has been happening, did you? I just submitted a post about this excessive vibration that wasn't there a single bit before I had new tires and the alignment done. I drive about 200 miles a day, so I'm very well in-tune with how my car feels/drives. Thanks.
No i did not have my tires replaced and no alignment done like i told you i just bought it two months ago and it had this vibration but it only vibrates when the car comes to a stop or i back up at idle not giving it gas it feels worse when i put a load on car like A/C,power steering i can see the rpm drops low like 500-600rpm,thanks for your reply.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lynnjerjor

Hey im glad I seen this. I dont have an Acura... didnt realize it was a acura website until now but I have a 07 scion tc n I got new tires at 4:45 drove 20 mins to AutoZone n got a battery n drove 15 mins to my bestfriend I left around 11:30/11:45 to drive home n when I started to stol at a stop light it started shaking but it only did it in park afterwards if I hit my gas it went away. I put gas in it afterwards because I was on my way to a gas station but it still does it. I never really had that issue of it shaking besides when I hit 60 mph but nothing like its doing now. It shakes the whole front in like its ideling but I also no it inisnt ideling
I was wondering cud it be bad gas I had a quarter tank wen it started n filled it up afterwards but it wus the same exact place as the gas already in it.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
If the idle is rolling it is a likely an air/fuel issue from my experience in other cars I've had. My Mustangs all had this issue and it was typically attributed to air/fuel.

My 6MT '06 TL has 87k miles and I have a vibration that doesn't seem normal either. I've had my mounts looked at but the dealer nor my mechanic thinks they are bad. I however do think this might fix me problem. The car doesn't shake at speed or misfire when I run through the gears, so I have to attribute this to motor mounts, especially due to the fact that its got 87k miles on it. Thoughts appreciated.

Sean
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Freefallin06
If the idle is rolling it is a likely an air/fuel issue from my experience in other cars I've had. My Mustangs all had this issue and it was typically attributed to air/fuel.

My 6MT '06 TL has 87k miles and I have a vibration that doesn't seem normal either. I've had my mounts looked at but the dealer nor my mechanic thinks they are bad. I however do think this might fix me problem. The car doesn't shake at speed or misfire when I run through the gears, so I have to attribute this to motor mounts, especially due to the fact that its got 87k miles on it. Thoughts appreciated.

Sean
I also have a slight vibration at red lights in my 5AT. I could slightly feel it through the seat and it was mostly through the steering wheel. So I had my garage do my motor mounts. They said front was good, side had a crack right through it, and couldn't get the rear one out no matter what they tried. Visually it looked good and they tried for a while and it wouldn't budge. I would probably have to drop the subframe or remove the intake manifold to get at it.

So even if our mounts look good could it be that they're too tight or seized on, causing vibrations? Maybe my rear one just needs to be taken off an retorqued. At 145k miles, I'm surprised only the side mount was cracked too.

Last edited by hisost; 02-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by hisost
I also have a slight vibration at red lights in my 5AT. I could slightly feel it through the seat and it was mostly through the steering wheel. So I had my garage do my motor mounts. They said front was good, side had a crack right through it, and couldn't get the rear one out no matter what they tried. Visually it looked good and they tried for a while and it wouldn't budge. I would probably have to drop the subframe or remove the intake manifold to get at it.

So even if our mounts look good could it be that they're too tight or seized on, causing vibrations? Maybe my rear one just needs to be taken off an retorqued. At 145k miles, I'm surprised only the side mount was cracked too.
The rear mount is what isolates most of the harshness and vibration. Go to a honda dealer and they'll do it for you without having to remove extra stuff.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 PM
10th Gear

I have acura 2003 rsx Automatic with about 107.000 miles.recntly i cahnged the transmission fluid and 02 sensor. Now, for the past 2 weeks, whenever i engage the vehicle in reverse or drive holding the brakes, the car vibrates the engine, steering and the held break. I have changed the engine mounts and the transmission mounts and there is no diffrence. help on what could be wrong. Also when i drained the oil, there was no metal particles in it and after the car warms up, it drives easily and smoothly.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

I'm glad I searched on here...have a 2013 TL SH-AWD advance with just over 33k miles on it..and I noticed this exact same issue: car vibrates when stopped at traffic light in D or when inching forward without pressing down on the accelerator. As soon as I press the pedal, the vibration goes away. And there is no vibration otherwise. I have had the TC and the transmission replaced.

Would this be the EGR valve? I'm assuming they must have checked the mounts since I have had this complaint 3x since I purchased the car.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PAK74
I'm glad I searched on here...have a 2013 TL SH-AWD advance with just over 33k miles on it..and I noticed this exact same issue: car vibrates when stopped at traffic light in D or when inching forward without pressing down on the accelerator. As soon as I press the pedal, the vibration goes away. And there is no vibration otherwise. I have had the TC and the transmission replaced.

Would this be the EGR valve? I'm assuming they must have checked the mounts since I have had this complaint 3x since I purchased the car.
hibi no this is a old comment but did u ever find out what the problem was? I’m having same issue it started couple days ago Was wondering what your issue was I got same year & car as yours, thx
Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Try this out, i had something similar and it was fixed due to this..