Auto Tran - Interior Shifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tran - Interior Shifter Noise

Hey guys,
So finally I had time to take apart my console to find out what this noise was. At first I thought it might have been a metal clip moving around since I could hear it whenever I was accelerating or stopping.
But after looking around it looks like it's this white plastic piece that moves whenever I hit the brake.
Here are some pictures of it, it slides forwards and backwards, does anyone know what this is and what could be done to fix this?
It sounds like it's just plastic hitting plastic, but is this normal?

I also uploaded a video of the sound it makes from just pressing and releasing the brake ( sorry for the garage door opener disrupting the vid )

Movie

Please, any help or info would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Here is a pictures from the radio looking downwards:

Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced

It looks like it has something to do with the shift lock according to these pictures, but I'm still not sure what could be the problem

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Advanced

ok, after another 1/2 hr of searching online, looks to be this, which was posted in the TSX forum:

"There is a shift lockout solenoid the restricts the shifter from being moved to reverse when the vehicle speed is above a certain level. When speed drops the solenoid is activated to allow reverse to be selected. You're likely hearing the solenoid in the shifter assembly clicking as it functions."

is there anyway to make it less noisy? like something between the two plastic parts?

Mine just seems louder than what it should be.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
dynamat
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced

I just had enough of the same noise so I took my car into the dealer, asked the service manager to sit in the car while I drove around the lot.

He claims "it's a plastic shift lock" and stated that the sound was actually very quiet in my car compared to other cars he's heard.

I wasn't to happy with his answer so he agreed to take another car from the used car lot and test it (to hear the same sound)

Well it was a 05 TSX same as mine and sure enough the sound was the same if not louder.

He stated that they could change the part but more than likely it would sound the same and could end up sounding louder than how my car currently sounded.

He said that all the Acura automatic's are set up the same way, in his words "the higher model cars just have more insulation material to deaden the sound"

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to pull apart the center counsol and try putting some dynamat type material to mute the sound some what.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced

thanks for the replies guys,

Ya I figured that it was just a normal problem, guess I have been driving without the radio on too frequent lately and I can hear more than before.

The problem with dynamat is that the noise is above the shifter, so you can't fully enclose the sound.

Keep me updated on your results though if you would!
I had to put everything back together, but would be willing to add some dynamat if it helps.

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
how can dynamat help

i have the same thing just ignore it and problem solved !!

its not like it doing it constantly anyway
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
8th Gear

long time reader, first post.

I have been experiencing the same clicking noise in my 04 TL with 60K. I don't really know exactly when it started, but noticed it while driving with the radio off about a month ago and has since bugged the shit out of me...At least I know I'm not alone on this one and that this issue isn't a precursor to something more serious.

In regards to the transmission, I do experience delays from time to time when shifting into drive and reverse. Any idea what that may be??
Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Soooo, I looked at it today, but unfortunately I had to use the car and put everything back together, ugh!

The sound was reduced by half I would say, but I can still hear plastic hitting plastic.
Here's what I did, wish I could have left everything disassembled, but oh well.

I put some felt on the Stopper, Shift Lock arm, this is where it was hitting the most when I took it apart. Looks like when I connected everything back there's another contact part too.

Would Silicone Spray be ok to use on that rubber Cushion shown in the first, maybe that could be the main source.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 AM
5th Gear

Clicking sound...

Originally Posted by Luded
I just had enough of the same noise so I took my car into the dealer, asked the service manager to sit in the car while I drove around the lot.

He claims "it's a plastic shift lock" and stated that the sound was actually very quiet in my car compared to other cars he's heard.

I wasn't to happy with his answer so he agreed to take another car from the used car lot and test it (to hear the same sound)

Well it was a 05 TSX same as mine and sure enough the sound was the same if not louder.

He stated that they could change the part but more than likely it would sound the same and could end up sounding louder than how my car currently sounded.

He said that all the Acura automatic's are set up the same way, in his words "the higher model cars just have more insulation material to deaden the sound"

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to pull apart the center counsol and try putting some dynamat type material to mute the sound some what.
The guy is full of shit... I've owned 6 cl tyie s models.. I have the first one that clicks right now... Have consistently owned one of these cars since brand new til now... It didn't make the noise until I did trans swap...I'll year into it tomorrow and let you know what the fuck Ii is