Anyone using GMFM fluid have warranty denied?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using GMFM fluid have warranty denied?

There has been a lot of threads about transmission issues and 3rd gear problems. Most of these threads end up with 2 sides yelling at each other. One side says to use the GM friction modified fluid and be done with it and the other side says they will not put anything GM in their car and the warranty will be void if they do.

The first question is: Has anyone had to bring their car in for warranty work on their transmission after switching to the GM fluid?

The second question is: Has anyone had a warranty claim denied because they were using non-Acura fluid?

I am not looking for an argument on the merits of anyone's fluid of choice but to answer the question that everyone wants to know: Is the warranty affected by switching to GM fluid? I have heard from both sides and I am looking for responses by anyone that has actually had to deal with this issue. Please respond to this thread if you have first hand experience with these questions. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 AM

I just got back to this board recently so i am unaware of the previous arguments and i am not looking for a fight however last tuesday when i had acura do my brakes under warranty i told them that i have a notchy feeling in the shifter some times and the manager said that there was a bulletin out for that and that they will replace my transmission fluid to a synthetiic gm formula. I had them do it and now shifting is better. i have my reciept if you would like i can scan it in.
Ania
Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish my dealer knows about that SB.. cuz they don't want to change my MTF to GM.. sigh
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 AM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my friend has an 07 type s and he brought his car to the dealer to get the trans changed and he gave them the GM sycromesh to put in and they did it no problem. I was going to do the same but i consulted with an old time master tecnician that i work with at my honda dealer and he said do not put anything but honda recommended fluid in the trans. From what he said that it could indeed void your warranty because it is not a honda recommended fluid, and that the honda stuff is especially designed to work best with the trans mechanically. So i went ahead and put the newly advanced honda MTF and the car shifts 100 times better than it did. But my theory is that it depends solely on the dealer, some would probably care some wont, but if you have trans problems in the future they probably will drain the fluid and inspect it first which they could void your trans warranty, if they figure out that there is an aftermarket product in there.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Well my friend has an 07 type s and he brought his car to the dealer to get the trans changed and he gave them the GM sycromesh to put in and they did it no problem. I was going to do the same but i consulted with an old time master tecnician that i work with at my honda dealer and he said do not put anything but honda recommended fluid in the trans. From what he said that it could indeed void your warranty because it is not a honda recommended fluid, and that the honda stuff is especially designed to work best with the trans mechanically. So i went ahead and put the newly advanced honda MTF and the car shifts 100 times better than it did. But my theory is that it depends solely on the dealer, some would probably care some wont, but if you have trans problems in the future they probably will drain the fluid and inspect it first which they could void your trans warranty, if they figure out that there is an aftermarket product in there.
The point of the intitial post was not to ask what could happen but what actually does happen. All manufacturers recommend use of their own oils and fluids. Look in any owners manual and they will all tell you to use their stuff. A dealer and the people that work there have a vested interest in us buying their stuff. If you have your engine oil or transmission oil replaced somewhere other than the dealer they will most likely not use factory fluids. Engine warranties are not voided because of this but many people assume that the transmission is different.

Again, I am not looking to argue what can happen but to find out if anyone on this forum has real life experience with a transmission problem after they used GM fluid and to find out how it played out.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I agree, I'd like to know who's had any transmission work done other than for the 3rd gear notchiness? And, was it after putting in GMFM?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Racer

Still looking for someone that has had transmission problems after switching to GM FM fluid. Anyone?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Shouldn't be any problems. I've used syncromesh in my '04 RSX-S and '01 Prelude for over 30k in each without incident.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer put GMFM in my 6mt and said if there were any warranty issues down the road, they would cover any problems. They could always replace the fluid with Honda MTF before sending the tranny back to Honda so nobody would notice anything. My dealer thought the GM fluid was much better than even the new Honda formula.