Anyone with rattling in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone with rattling in the dash?

I have an 07 TL-S with about 80k on it. I noticed that there are quite a bit of little rattles coming from the dash. thought it was the loseness in the tweeters but nope, also tryed tightening the left air vent. any one experience this with their TL and have any resolutions? Im a little ocd and it annyoys the heck out of me
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I noticed I had a little rattle in my dash a few days ago....I thought it maybe had something to do wih the cold weather or something, but we may have the same issue. Looks like I'll be hunting for rattles along with fixing my glove box rattle (aaaarrrggghh!) this weeend. >_<

Have you checked 3G garage? They have a good list of rattles and fixes. On of them may fit your issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same rattle (drivers side, dash area) here in the cold weather of Chicago and it disappears in the warmer months completely. I have tried several times to find it with negative results. It is not the tweeter, that is tucked in pretty tight and its not the dashboard either. I took out the vent, yes it just pulls out, nothing. I thought it may have been the housing around the fuses by the hood opener or a loose wire bundle like the one into the door. Today however I think I may have found the solution. The hard plastic cover/moulding that is directly adjacent to the mirror on the interior that meets up with the rubber weather stripping was the culprit. It was definitely a plastic sound and not a metallic one that was rattling. I took some foam paper (my daughter had some that she does art projects with) that can be purchased at any craft store in multiple colors and stuffed it between the plastic and the metal in several places. I think this hard plastic when cold (its directly against the metal) just make a funny resonant sound against the metal. Try opening your door when you hear the rattle and with mine it became a little louder. A stethoscope would have been helpful to pin point it. I will follow up with this post to make certain that it does not come back, it was driving me crazy and with the crappy roads in Chicago it was constant. If you have a rattle that is coming from the glove box side it may be from the storage compartment in the passenger side door, just open it to see if the sound goes away...piece of foam should take care of that if thats the case.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
10th Gear

I have had the same rattle (drivers side, dash area) here in the cold weather of Chicago and it disappears in the warmer months completely. I have tried several times to find it with negative results. It is not the tweeter, that is tucked in pretty tight and its not the dashboard either. I took out the vent, yes it just pulls out, nothing. I thought it may have been the housing around the fuses by the hood opener or a loose wire bundle like the one into the door. Today however I think I may have found the solution. The hard plastic cover/moulding that is directly adjacent to the mirror on the interior that meets up with the rubber weather stripping was the culprit. It was definitely a plastic sound and not a metallic one that was rattling. I took some foam paper (my daughter had some that she does art projects with) that can be purchased at any craft store in multiple colors and stuffed it between the plastic and the metal in several places. I think this hard plastic when cold (its directly against the metal) just make a funny resonant sound against the metal. Try opening your door when you hear the rattle and with mine it became a little louder. A stethoscope would have been helpful to pin point it. I will follow up with this post to make certain that it does not come back, it was driving me crazy and with the crappy roads in Chicago it was constant. If you have a rattle that is coming from the glove box side it may be from the storage compartment in the passenger side door, just open it to see if the sound goes away...piece of foam should take care of that if thats the case.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Rattle

I had the rattle in my 05 TL at about 75k. I fixed this by taking the glove box out and tightening down the latch that the glove box hooks too. It is a black metal latch that is used to latch the glove box in place. It gets loose in the back and then make a lot of noise. I would recommend checking this.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the center speaker if that rattles..