Annoying Intermittent Under the hood squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Annoying Intermittent Under the hood squeaks

Few weeks ago my car ( 06 TL 5AT) started squeaking near the belts area don't know which one is making the noise but it only happens when the engine rev is 1400 rpm and up. This noise stopped for those few weeks and then the noise came back yesterday and it was like that throughout the day when I would go run errands or so. This morning it did that during idle and then quiet down mysteriously after the car was driven couple of miles. Then all of a sudden it started back again but more quietly then yesterday. I have read some post of people having this issue around the timing belt area or pulleys but then again the issue was constant squeaking not intermittent like mine. My luck, is that if I take it to the dealership it may stop squeaking and they will say no issues to be found. Do you think I am safe driving my car this week if it is off and on??
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Annoying Intermittent Under the hood Squeaks
Several threads on this, in this sub-forum. There are multiple possible causes. Have a look through the first few pages of threads in this sub-forum (Problems and Fixes).

Also browse the TSB page. There are two or three TSB's related to "squeaks from under the hood." Follow the directions in post #1 to access individual TSB's.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Racer

Thanks Bearcat94, Today my car is fine no squeaks whatsover I did not do anything but it mysteriously went away. This is getting way too weird it squeaks sometimes and then it wont for like few weeks to a month or maybe longer then it will happen on a weekend when dealerships are closed
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
For a while, after I put a new drive belt on, it would squeak when cool/cold. Then, for no apparent reason it stopped and I haven't heard it in about a year.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
its funny (or not so funny for those having issues) how i always seem to have issues pop up along with other owners around the same time. so nice to know i'm not the only one.

the first time today, i started the car afterwork (after the car only sitting for about 4 hours), and it sounded like i had a bunch of freakin' crickets or birds chirping under my hood. i was like WTF?! that's not normal. of course i'm in a parking garage and its echoing throughout as i'm driving out. i get out on the road and about 5min later...no more chirping. i get home, let the car sit and idle a few...no chirps. gave it some gas...no chirp just my CAI hissing. hmmm...what the hell is this and do i need to be super concerned??

of course i get on the old laptop and start searching AZ to see if there have been any other chirping engine bays. i only have about 53K miles on my car...i shouldn't be having belt issues (at least i don't think i should).

so to the OP, there is a TSB out for engine chirping 08-031. there is also a TSB out for rattling/squealing from engine referring to the heat shield mounting bolts being loose. after reading a few threads, one of these seems to be the fix. i will be contacting my service advisor if my crickets/birds continue to annoy me to let him know i have crickets chirping in my engine. of course mine happened for the first time today. have to be consistent in order to get it fixed. i'm hoping today's incident was a fluke. i'll know more when i drive tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
its funny (or not so funny for those having issues) how i always seem to have issues pop up along with other owners around the same time. so nice to know i'm not the only one.

the first time today, i started the car afterwork (after the car only sitting for about 4 hours), and it sounded like i had a bunch of freakin' crickets or birds chirping under my hood. i was like WTF?! that's not normal. of course i'm in a parking garage and its echoing throughout as i'm driving out. i get out on the road and about 5min later...no more chirping. i get home, let the car sit and idle a few...no chirps. gave it some gas...no chirp just my CAI hissing. hmmm...what the hell is this and do i need to be super concerned??

of course i get on the old laptop and start searching AZ to see if there have been any other chirping engine bays. i only have about 53K miles on my car...i shouldn't be having belt issues (at least i don't think i should).

so to the OP, there is a TSB out for engine chirping 08-031. there is also a TSB out for rattling/squealing from engine referring to the heat shield mounting bolts being loose. after reading a few threads, one of these seems to be the fix. i will be contacting my service advisor if my crickets/birds continue to annoy me to let him know i have crickets chirping in my engine. of course mine happened for the first time today. have to be consistent in order to get it fixed. i'm hoping today's incident was a fluke. i'll know more when i drive tomorrow.

That is exactly what mine sounds like crickets and birds. Right now there has not been any of those sound for last few days.. That noise will come back for a day or so and then it stops. Let me know how it went at the dealership
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by mb1976
That is exactly what mine sounds like crickets and birds. Right now there has not been any of those sound for last few days.. That noise will come back for a day or so and then it stops. Let me know how it went at the dealership
my car has decided to have a pet...his name is jimminie cricket.

no seriously, i think we'll be ok driving it. there is a thread on here :
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=chirping

there are a couple of other smaller threads on the chirp/squeak.

so far, for me, since it just started on monday...every cold start i have the chirp is there then disappears after 3-5 minutes. usually the loudest first thing in the morning or after the car has sat parked for 4+hours.

keep in mind that the thread started back in 07 when everyone was still under warranty. the first TSB came out in 08, then revised in 2010.

i emailed my SA at the dealer and i'm still waiting to hear back from him. hell i was just in there last week for maintenance...i think my car just likes spending time with the 4G TLs at the dealer to make them jealous.
my dealer is gonna think i just like going there all the time (i'm on a first name basis with the loaner guy and the day shift cashier).

once i hear from my SA then i'll decide what i want to do: if it can wait until i really need to go back there in june or go in sooner b/c its annoying and i'm really anal.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd rather be golfing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
my car has decided to have a pet...his name is jimminie cricket.

no seriously, i think we'll be ok driving it. there is a thread on here :
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=chirping

there are a couple of other smaller threads on the chirp/squeak.

so far, for me, since it just started on monday...every cold start i have the chirp is there then disappears after 3-5 minutes. usually the loudest first thing in the morning or after the car has sat parked for 4+hours.

keep in mind that the thread started back in 07 when everyone was still under warranty. the first TSB came out in 08, then revised in 2010.

i emailed my SA at the dealer and i'm still waiting to hear back from him. hell i was just in there last week for maintenance...i think my car just likes spending time with the 4G TLs at the dealer to make them jealous.
my dealer is gonna think i just like going there all the time (i'm on a first name basis with the loaner guy and the day shift cashier).

once i hear from my SA then i'll decide what i want to do: if it can wait until i really need to go back there in june or go in sooner b/c its annoying and i'm really anal.
My "crickets" got me a free timing belt around the 30k mark. per the above ref'd TSB, it was a bad balancer pulley I believe. Mine's an 06AT also. I have read that even after warranty, the dealer/factory does or might offer it as a courtesy. I posted a thread a couple of months ago under "Timing Belt due to TSB" or something like that. Good luck
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by adsoldschool
My "crickets" got me a free timing belt around the 30k mark. per the above ref'd TSB, it was a bad balancer pulley I believe. Mine's an 06AT also. I have read that even after warranty, the dealer/factory does or might offer it as a courtesy. I posted a thread a couple of months ago under "Timing Belt due to TSB" or something like that. Good luck
did they have to hear your crickets or did they take your word for it??