Alignment / wobbly steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment / wobbly steering

Hello All... I have a 2005 TL. It's got the Michellin tires on it. About eight months ago (roughly 22,000 miles on it) I started to feel a bit of "jerking" in the steering wheel coming out of turns or making minor steering adjustments (you know to stay in a lane) especially at low speed. Almost like a ratchet affect... Anyway, I let it go one for while, but then noticed it was also becoming out of alignment (pulling to the right).

SO, I had it in for service and they cited it was out of alignment and that the front tires were unevenly worn and needed replacement. So I did that (front tires only), and it seemed to clear up all issues.

Fast forward to today. Over the last couple weeks , I thought I noticed the jerking coming back, and my next B service was due. So, I had it in again and asked them to check the steering at the time they did the service. They of course said everything was fine and as part of b service proceeeded to rotate the tires (old ones on the front now, new in the back) and of course they said they road tested it and it was a-ok. Of course it's not, with the old tires on the front the jerking is back as bad as it was before, and the car pulls to the right. To give you an idea of what it is like, if your driving at say 30 mph and slightly turn the wheel and let it go, it will "bounce" back to center rather than just smoothly returning.

So, what do any of you think this could be? I'm waiting on the service dept. to call me back (they have a replacement sun visor on order for a rattle issue), and they said they would check the car then. Could the car have previuosly been out of alignment and caused uneven wear to the point that you could feel it in the steering in such a way? I'm kind of skeptical. I think the root may be an issue with the steering. Also, when starting the car in the morning there is literally no power steering for the first 2 or 3 feet of backing out of my drivway. I was told by the dealer this normal as things have to "get going", but again I'm skeptical. I've never had a car do that before...

thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 AM
4th Gear

i just recently bought a used TL and notice some similar symptoms... any feedback?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have them balance the wheels and check for bent rims and possibly roadforce the tires, pulling could be from bad tires or bent wheels also if the alignment is in spec!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Hello,

I went thru this with my TL as well. After fighting the dealer tooth and nail they finally replaced both axels after they started making noise.

Problem is gone, but I am disturbed as to why a set of axels would only last 30k.

Have the dealer check the inner and outer CV joints.

Morgan