Alignment done, and power steering pump rebuilt...but why is this still happening?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Alignment done, and power steering pump rebuilt...but why is this still happening?

So I just put in the suspension on my car, and dropped close to the max with Tein SA. Took the car to Acura for an alignment. Did explain that the car doesn't pull, but you can feel the steering wheel shake at low speeds. The tech said that they will take a look at it, but it could be the wheels not being properly balanced. I don't know why when this wasn't happening before. Anyways, got it done and at about 20/21 mph you can feel a slight vibration for a second. Then it goes away. Any recommendations? Is this normal or expected after dropping it?

Also, while the car was at the dealership then recommended I get the power steering pump rebuilt. The recall on it was already done, and they said the hose is fine. So after that came back, he assured me that the car 'turns like butter.' Well the whining noise that disappeared, which is awesome, but the steering wheel is still definitely pretty hard to turn until the car starts moving....or until I rev it into higher rpm's. This is the first TL I have had, and not sure if this is something common or if I possibly need a new pump.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your low speed shake feel may be from it being lowered. When you lower a car you change the geometry of the cv axles and they can start vibrating. Especially noticeable at lower speeds. And I've heard around here our tl's have issues with cv's for vibrating even at stock angles.
The following users liked this post:
Grey Gonzalez (05-06-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I never heard someone rebuilt their power steering pump, they always replace it because when I shopping for a TL there are plenty TL got the pump replace (hint Type S have heavy steering and not too many people know about it so they though it an issue. Acura dealer replace the whole pump instead of plush the system and replace the O ring). Type S pump design to working minimal at speed below 35 mph which can explain why the steering is heavy, Base TL steering should be light. its might be the pump itself.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
^^^^ Power steering rebuild DIY: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-pump-overhaul-pics-sm-scans-841134/

Grey, the steering can be normally slightly firm / heavy at low speeds. Don't think this is abnormal, unless it is noticeably worse than before they worked on it.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nova_brad
Your low speed shake feel may be from it being lowered. When you lower a car you change the geometry of the cv axles and they can start vibrating. Especially noticeable at lower speeds. And I've heard around here our tl's have issues with cv's for vibrating even at stock angles.
Well that makes me feel a lot better. It is only at those speeds too, and goes away. I just wasn't sure if the dealership just did a shitty job with the alignment.

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I never heard someone rebuilt their power steering pump, they always replace it because when I shopping for a TL there are plenty TL got the pump replace (hint Type S have heavy steering and not too many people know about it so they though it an issue. Acura dealer replace the whole pump instead of plush the system and replace the O ring). Type S pump design to working minimal at speed below 35 mph which can explain why the steering is heavy, Base TL steering should be light. its might be the pump itself.
They said the pump would need to be replaced, but it was going to cost about $450 vs. the rebuild which was $170. I have seen the DIY for the PS pump rebuild, but they already had it in the shop and didn't feel like dealing with it.

Originally Posted by dannyz
^^^^ Power steering rebuild DIY: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841134

Grey, the steering can be normally slightly firm / heavy at low speeds. Don't think this is abnormal, unless it is noticeably worse than before they worked on it.
No, it is definitely not worse. There is no more sound coming from it, and I don't mind it. The guy at Acura said it "turns like butter" so I was just expecting it. I appreciate all the input and feel much better about this.