Acura Dealer Says my 2005 Engine might need to be replaced? BS? Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Dealer Says my 2005 Engine might need to be replaced? BS? Your thoughts?

Hey All, really hoping someone can provide feedback for me. I just had the dealer complete the 105k tune up including the valve timing, timing belt, and water pump.

Now he's telling me his master tech hears a noise from somewhere inside the engine that they want to charge me $600 in labor just to get it apart to diagnose it? He says it's a klunking noise inside the engine about midway up. He says it could be a Crankshaft bearing, a piston rod bearing, or something else up there?

Has anyone ever heard of something like this? I'm really at loss about this.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
Do you have any mechanic friends nearby? As I've found out, Acura would rather replace the whole freakin' engine instead of being REAL mechanics....
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
This to me sounds odd. I work at a dealer myself so I have plenty of experience. My initial thought is that the tech got the timing off and maybe bent a valve, realized it and fixed it and now it has a knock. He could have gotten a valve adjustment too tight and it will make noise. Did he do plugs too? Obviously you drove your car in and you didn't hear the noise. They were not listening to it before they worked on it but will after to make sure its all good. This is when you discover weird things. This could be the case... Maybe you should go listen to it and ask to talk to the guy working on it. You can't play the blame game yet, but its a possibility. They may have messed it up, who knows. If you go listen to it and know it wasn't there before then I would be concerned... Is this a ASE master certified tech or a master acura tech? Makes a big difference. I wouldn't want to pay any more money. Sounds fishy to me...
The following users liked this post:
Catfisha (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
I went to the dealer the other day to have my drivers sideview mirror replaced on my pilot.

ended up leaving the dealership with a broken mirror and actuator and packaging tape holding the glass " while I wait for the additional parts to come in "

Definitely I would question their work.
Mid area would be where the valves meet the pistons. They probably didn't adjust the valves correctly.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP_BALLER
This to me sounds odd. I work at a dealer myself so I have plenty of experience. My initial thought is that the tech got the timing off and maybe bent a valve, realized it and fixed it and now it has a knock. He could have gotten a valve adjustment too tight and it will make noise. Did he do plugs too? Obviously you drove your car in and you didn't hear the noise. They were not listening to it before they worked on it but will after to make sure its all good. This is when you discover weird things. This could be the case... Maybe you should go listen to it and ask to talk to the guy working on it. You can't play the blame game yet, but its a possibility. They may have messed it up, who knows. If you go listen to it and know it wasn't there before then I would be concerned... Is this a ASE master certified tech or a master acura tech? Makes a big difference. I wouldn't want to pay any more money. Sounds fishy to me...
this is so true! they break something and will say it's an existing problem. i've seen shops that would replace parts with broken ones as well and charge you to replace it!