AC acting funky? Battery draining? Try this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AC acting funky? Battery draining? Try this...

On my way home from a 300 mile trip to FL, my AC decided to freeze up -- literally. There was so much ice built up in the evaporator that it froze the fan and started shooting ice crystal out of the vents. It wasn't that hot outside so i hit the 'off' button and opened the windows for the remainder of the ride home.

When I got home and started my investigation I noticed that even after the system being set to off for two hours under a hot hood, the evaporator line was still iced up. That's odd.

My searches of the interwebs take me in all kinds of directions, but eventually I came across this item on Acurazine about an RDX issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/diy-faq...pgrade-890420/

..and my symptoms are remarkably close, except for the battery drain and I wasn't seeing a whole lot about this as a common problem with TL's. But it was like midnight by this point and I say it will wait until the weekend. Next morning I get up to go to work and the battery is so dead I can't even unlock my doors. I just confirmed my problem -- the AC Compressor Clutch Relay was stuck in the closed/connected position keeping the compressor on at all times when the engine is running and sending power to the compressor clutch even when the car is off.

I confirmed this by pulling the relay (diagram found on page 21-4 of the service manual) and following the test procedure on page 22-71 of the service manual. Pins 1 and 2 failed the test -- continuity existed even when power was disconnected from pins 3 and 4.

Go to Autozone and buy replacement for $10, plug it in, charge battery for a bit and all is now well in the world. Compressor cycles on and off as normal and no more dead battery. I love it when it's the $10 fix and not the $1000 fix.

I hope this helps some other TL owners out there.
The following users liked this post:
ntmera (04-09-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:14 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBP_TypeS
On my way home from a 300 mile trip to FL, my AC decided to freeze up -- literally. There was so much ice built up in the evaporator that it froze the fan and started shooting ice crystal out of the vents. It wasn't that hot outside so i hit the 'off' button and opened the windows for the remainder of the ride home.

When I got home and started my investigation I noticed that even after the system being set to off for two hours under a hot hood, the evaporator line was still iced up. That's odd.

My searches of the interwebs take me in all kinds of directions, but eventually I came across this item on Acurazine about an RDX issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/diy-faq...pgrade-890420/

..and my symptoms are remarkably close, except for the battery drain and I wasn't seeing a whole lot about this as a common problem with TL's. But it was like midnight by this point and I say it will wait until the weekend. Next morning I get up to go to work and the battery is so dead I can't even unlock my doors. I just confirmed my problem -- the AC Compressor Clutch Relay was stuck in the closed/connected position keeping the compressor on at all times when the engine is running and sending power to the compressor clutch even when the car is off.

I confirmed this by pulling the relay (diagram found on page 21-4 of the service manual) and following the test procedure on page 22-71 of the service manual. Pins 1 and 2 failed the test -- continuity existed even when power was disconnected from pins 3 and 4.

Go to Autozone and buy replacement for $10, plug it in, charge battery for a bit and all is now well in the world. Compressor cycles on and off as normal and no more dead battery. I love it when it's the $10 fix and not the $1000 fix.

I hope this helps some other TL owners out there.
Do you have a pic of the location of the ac compressor clutch relay? I can't figure it out.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Acura Technician

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah. You're totally going to have this problem again. The compressor clutch and stator are bad causing the relay to go out.