ABS/Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS/Brake Question

I've noticed when I suddently hit the brake hard, the brake pedal remains stuck/pressed down for a couple of seconds and seems that abs is working. Is that normal? Even if I take my foot of the brake, the pedal still remains pressed down for a few seconds. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have a 2008 base TL/navi
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
ChicagoNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you hit the brake pedal hard abruptly it SHOULD trigger ABS. That part seems normal/acceptable to me
However, the pedal should not stay pressed down for a few seconds. Sounds like something is malfunctioning(brake lines, brake cylinder, bad brake fluid, abs, etc.).

I'm not sure though, get it checked out. Your car is new enough, should be covered under warranty. Unless you're over on mileage.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
If the road is smooth and dry that doesn't sound right. If the road is choppy it's not unusual for one of the wheels to hop and trigger the ABS. If this is what's happening you will notice a vibration in the pedal for the duration of the ABS engagement. As for staying down for a few seconds that seems way to long. Are you being literal about seconds? When I've experienced road chop ABS it's usually very quickly recovered.

Either way I agree with ChicagoNick and you need to get it checked if you have any doubts at all. Not sure I agree with him that abrupt braking in good conditions should trigger it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
If the road is smooth and dry that doesn't sound right. If the road is choppy it's not unusual for one of the wheels to hop and trigger the ABS. If this is what's happening you will notice a vibration in the pedal for the duration of the ABS engagement. As for staying down for a few seconds that seems way to long. Are you being literal about seconds? When I've experienced road chop ABS it's usually very quickly recovered.

Either way I agree with ChicagoNick and you need to get it checked if you have any doubts at all. Not sure I agree with him that abrupt braking in good conditions should trigger it.
I think it depends on the speed, it stays for about 1.5-2 sec but doesn't happen always