6-speed transmission waranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM
got boost?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed transmission waranty issues

ok, so I know our 6-speed trannys are on recall for the syncromesh problem with 3rd gear popping out and or grinding..
well i talked to acura about 3 weeks ago regarding this, and they said, yes its covered..

so last week my motor dies but im getting it replaced on my own expence cuz i know this is not a waranty issue..cuz i blew it myself..

so i called acura again, to clarify if my tranny was still gonna be covered after i did the motor replacement...and now they are saying NO because i did " add-ons" to my motor and these might have caused further wear and tear on the transmission...

well after explaining to them that the tranny has NOTHING to do with my motor, the tranny still does the same thing, there is nothing wrong with it, other then the 3rd gear problem...they are insisting that its not covered!

WTF!! is this!!
do they not understand that a tranny is totally separate from a fucking motor!!

ohh ya, im SC'd, thats why they are telling me its void waranty..
well i know on the motor it is...but the tranny is ok...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
No actual recall on the tranny that I know of. Pretty sure it is just a TSB or maybe just a customer courtesy type of thing....not real sure.

But the dealer is not too far out in saying no warranty for your transmission. When you SC'd the car, your engine is now beyond the ratings that the transmission was rated for under warranty. I have no issue at all with them voiding your transmission warranty.

Now if you can prove it is just the 3rd gear issue and that is all you want done, you may be able to talk them into something.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
got boost?

Originally Posted by Jackass
No actual recall on the tranny that I know of. Pretty sure it is just a TSB or maybe just a customer courtesy type of thing....not real sure.

But the dealer is not too far out in saying no warranty for your transmission. When you SC'd the car, your engine is now beyond the ratings that the transmission was rated for under warranty. I have no issue at all with them voiding your transmission warranty.

Now if you can prove it is just the 3rd gear issue and that is all you want done, you may be able to talk them into something.
i know for fact there is a recall on the 6-speed trannys..I called them a week ago to find out, and they said, yes there isand i could book a time bring it in anytime...but now my motor is gone...
and now they are telling me its not covered?
how the fuck is that possible

the only problem i have with it, is the problem that is covered by waranty
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3rd gear issue on the manuals is NOT a recall, it's a TSB that was issued. A TSB isn't a recall.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Your facts are wrong

There is no recall on the 6MT, only a service bulletin that the dealer has the discretion to perform, or not perform, as they see fit based upon symptoms they verify your car to have.

If you can demonstrate the problem with 3rd gear engaging/clashing then you might have some success getting them to do the TSB. I think you'll have a pretty tough time convincing them if you go in there with attitude or a very far from stock motor.

BTW - The jury is still "out" on if it's worth having the dealer rebuild your gears. Some people's dealers did a good job and others ended up with worse problems. The jury's "in" on the GM SM Friction Modified MTF and they like it. You may want to try that first and save yourself lots of aggravation. Not going to get into a debate about what dealers should or shouldn't do or matters of principle. Just saying what's been reported by other members and my personal experience with the GM MTF.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by hamsup
ok, so I know our 6-speed trannys are on recall for the syncromesh problem with 3rd gear popping out and or grinding..
well i talked to acura about 3 weeks ago regarding this, and they said, yes its covered..

so last week my motor dies but im getting it replaced on my own expence cuz i know this is not a waranty issue..cuz i blew it myself..

so i called acura again, to clarify if my tranny was still gonna be covered after i did the motor replacement...and now they are saying NO because i did " add-ons" to my motor and these might have caused further wear and tear on the transmission...

well after explaining to them that the tranny has NOTHING to do with my motor, the tranny still does the same thing, there is nothing wrong with it, other then the 3rd gear problem...they are insisting that its not covered!

WTF!! is this!!
do they not understand that a tranny is totally separate from a fucking motor!!

ohh ya, im SC'd, thats why they are telling me its void waranty..
well i know on the motor it is...but the tranny is ok...
You made a big mistake telling the dealer that you were supercharged while still under warranty. The ACM taps into the ECU wiring( voiding a ton of things) the blower puts strain on the engine and parts connected to the engine ( voiding basicly everthing else). You void almost every warranty on your car when you put the blower on it.

Acura is not in the bussiness of giving away free parts and service,If they can void your warranty legaly they will. I am using the GM fluid and it is working great for me.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
got boost?

Originally Posted by Hi speed
You made a big mistake telling the dealer that you were supercharged while still under warranty. The ACM taps into the ECU wiring( voiding a ton of things) the blower puts strain on the engine and parts connected to the engine ( voiding basicly everthing else). You void almost every warranty on your car when you put the blower on it.

Acura is not in the bussiness of giving away free parts and service,If they can void your warranty legaly they will. I am using the GM fluid and it is working great for me.
hmmm..well maybe our Canadian dealers are different, because i called my dealership and thye said the tranny with the 3rd gear issue is under a waranty re-call and they told me i could bring it in at anytime to have it fixed..
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Ok, well that leads me to my next question because i am moving to Canada this saturday from Nebraska. Can i get my acura worked on at a Canadian Dealer for warranty work?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rady0691
Ok, well that leads me to my next question because i am moving to Canada this saturday from Nebraska. Can i get my acura worked on at a Canadian Dealer for warranty work?
what city are you moving to? i'd just call acura corporate and find out.

and how common are problems on the 6mt?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

I am moving up to Edmonton, Alberta.....Pry not the best environment for my TL-S but i don't want to get rid of it either.

I have had my problem since i got it. It doesn't pop out of gear, but you have to be very careful and get used how it feels when it doesn't go into gear right. Mine probably has problems shifting into 3rd gear 1 out of 5 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
There is no recall on the 6MT, only a service bulletin that the dealer has the discretion to perform, or not perform, as they see fit based upon symptoms they verify your car to have.

If you can demonstrate the problem with 3rd gear engaging/clashing then you might have some success getting them to do the TSB. I think you'll have a pretty tough time convincing them if you go in there with attitude or a very far from stock motor.

BTW - The jury is still "out" on if it's worth having the dealer rebuild your gears. Some people's dealers did a good job and others ended up with worse problems. The jury's "in" on the GM SM Friction Modified MTF and they like it. You may want to try that first and save yourself lots of aggravation. Not going to get into a debate about what dealers should or shouldn't do or matters of principle. Just saying what's been reported by other members and my personal experience with the GM MTF.
will a SC void my warranty on my cassette player? jk.

btw, about the GM SM stuff, the Head mechanic told me not to use it in my car, because they might 'decide' not to honor the waranty if i have tranny issues and the fluid it's bathing in doesn't have pretty honda emblems all over it.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by rady0691
I am moving up to Edmonton, Alberta.....Pry not the best environment for my TL-S but i don't want to get rid of it either.

I have had my problem since i got it. It doesn't pop out of gear, but you have to be very careful and get used how it feels when it doesn't go into gear right. Mine probably has problems shifting into 3rd gear 1 out of 5 times.
Mine was exactly like that. You can tell immediately if it's going to be temperamental.

GMSMFM was a cure for me. Put it in about 15K Mi ago and still shifts like butter.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i thought depending if you had an acura dealer install the blower or not, you could still retain your warranty?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought some dealerships sold COmptech blowers and installed them? That would still void the warranty? I thought if you could still have a Comptech install (maybe by a dealer) that they would still cover warranty issues.

Anyhow, I don't know about Canada but the 3rd gear issue is a TSB here. They have to reproduce it in order to work on it. I got 3rd gear synchro replaced and that thing is great. I had a Honda tech friend tell me that the GM Synchromesh is a band aid and the problem will get worse. It kinda goes against everyone else's experience here, though, so I dunno. You try another dealership?