3rd Gear Problem now 3rd and 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Fallen Corpsman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd Gear Problem now 3rd and 4th?

I got the 3rd gear fix done about a year ago, and now that it's colder all day long, I notice that the 3rd gear problem has now somewhat spread to 4th even after the car has had time to warm up (I'd say at least 15 minutes) It's not as bad as the original 3rd gear problem, I just have to force it a bit to get it into gear. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
No. Smooth as silk. But then, I've never had any sort of problem whatsoever with my '04 manual tranny.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Had 3rd gear fixed last year...no issues with 4th. About 30K miles on an 06.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Fallen Corpsman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to go get it checked, and sorry for posting in the wrong spot.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bring it back to the dealer, maybe you'll get really lucky and they might give you a new tranny?? good luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Here we go with STILL ANOTHER (or should I say about the 150th) Ridiculous MAD Fold-In!

One more of these 3rd gear issue threads and I think I'm gonna puke!

ONE MORE TIIIIIME:
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think i've said this on another thread already, but i was visiting one of my friends that is a tech at a honda dealer. and he tells me that this 3rd gear issue is not limited to just the 3G TL. it applies to ALL honda 6spd FWD manual gearboxes.

If switching to another fluid would solve this problem for good, then honda would have just repackaged the GM syncromesh and called it its own and not have to spend money to pay dealers to replace full gear sets.From experience i must agree with DMZ that GMsyncromesh does help with the problem and it also does wonders on older honda manual tranny`s.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hata_61
i think i've said this on another thread already, but i was visiting one of my friends that is a tech at a honda dealer. and he tells me that this 3rd gear issue is not limited to just the 3G TL. it applies to ALL honda 6spd FWD manual gearboxes.

If switching to another fluid would solve this problem for good, then honda would have just repackaged the GM syncromesh and called it its own and not have to spend money to pay dealers to replace full gear sets.From experience i must agree with DMZ that GMsyncromesh does help with the problem and it also does wonders on older honda manual tranny`s.
You're right about repackaging and selling under license as a Honda product. But what is really interesting is not all TL's (and presumably Honda's) are having this problem which begs a few questions. Does Honda actually manufacture the transmission or is it a supplier product? if so, did they change suppliers at some point? If not, are the problems due to driver abuse, such as hard/quick shifting or are the parts (shifting forks, synchronizers, blocker rings, hubs and collars) just weak from the get go?

One might expect to see something like this happening across the board, but it is not. I would bet most have never experienced this. I know I haven't.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 514 Likes on 290 Posts
I just came back from an oilchange with my car and I asked them about it. the lead mechanic said that it's an extremly common issue, but he said since my car is an 08 and has plenty of warranty left, he said to not put None Honda fluids in it, as the regional manager [or something like that] tells them that they won't honor tranny warranty repairs that have not been using Honda fluids. He said if my car was near or out of warranty he'd be happy to put it in there for me.

he described to me what causes the grind, he said it's the linkage as it moves to engage 3rd gear the linkage hits, it's not the actual gear/syncro that grinds.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
I just came back from an oilchange with my car and I asked them about it. the lead mechanic said that it's an extremly common issue, but he said since my car is an 08 and has plenty of warranty left, he said to not put None Honda fluids in it, as the regional manager [or something like that] tells them that they won't honor tranny warranty repairs that have not been using Honda fluids. He said if my car was near or out of warranty he'd be happy to put it in there for me.

he described to me what causes the grind, he said it's the linkage as it moves to engage 3rd gear the linkage hits, it's not the actual gear/syncro that grinds.
Oh come on, that's nonsense. Maybe they won't put it in FOR you, but I can't see how they would not honor the warranty because we put BETTER fluids in the car. Honda just slaps their logo on oil and stuff anyways. I heard their oil is actually penzoil the other day from a friend who works there. Seriously. I hate this type of crap.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

well it sounded sorta bogus about the warranty thing, but I can sorta see how they are pretty picky about fluids.

The guy that gave me that speach wasn't my service guy up front, he said "follow me" we went in the garage area and he asked a guy there...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i had the same damn problem, they tried to fix my 3rd gear now my third and fouth gear are doing the same thing. im kinda pissed i let them tear into my tranny. if i knew it was gonna f up my fourth gear to i would have let the shit be and not open up my tranny and jsut put the gm stuff in it. i dont know what to do now. when i go to the dealer i with the same problem they think its bullshit and look at me like im some kid who doesnt know what im talking about. i gotta figure somthing out.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PhilB81

If he is an automobile technician and he told you this, I would not want him working on my car. shifter linkage does not grind for the simple fact that it does not move.. unless you move it. Stop and think. The shifter and its linkage moves components inside of the gearbox. Secondly, synchronizers do not grind. They use friction, much like a clutch, to match input shaft speeds to lay shaft speeds. And gears do not grind because they do not move (as in meshing with other gears) when you are shifting. When you shift gears, you are not actually shifting gears at all. All of your gears in your transmission are in permanent mesh and that's why it is called a "constant mesh transmission". What you are doing is moving collars into and out of hubs on splined shafts in the transmission. The grinding you hear is the dog teeth on the collar failing to insert into the hub's slots.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by hata_61
...If switching to another fluid would solve this problem for good, then honda would have just repackaged the GM syncromesh and called it its own and not have to spend money to pay dealers to replace full gear sets.
It's not that simple. There are probably patents and other long term agreements between GM and whoever actually makes the stuff for GM. Not to mention Honda probably finds it cheaper to actually replace the few gear sets rather than that big a change in their MTF. They released a so called improved MTF but I think that had more to do with Honda/Acura updating their product line rather than a specific remedy targeted at the TL or Accord. All the R&D of a new MTF is probably quite expensive compared to a production change over with a few warranty installs of pre-cutover cars.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If he is an automobile technician and he told you this, I would not want him working on my car. shifter linkage does not grind for the simple fact that it does not move.. unless you move it. Stop and think. The shifter and its linkage moves components inside of the gearbox. Secondly, synchronizers do not grind. They use friction, much like a clutch, to match input shaft speeds to lay shaft speeds. And gears do not grind because they do not move (as in meshing with other gears) when you are shifting. When you shift gears, you are not actually shifting gears at all. All of your gears in your transmission are in permanent mesh and that's why it is called a "constant mesh transmission". What you are doing is moving collars into and out of hubs on splined shafts in the transmission. The grinding you hear is the dog teeth on the collar failing to insert into the hub's slots.

Hope this helps.
his explanation was that the gear arms move up down left right to engage gears, and he said the movement of going onto 3rd sometimes causes problems. And the little 'hickup' of going into 3rd that i'm experiencing is when I shift into 3rd, so I am moving things around.. it's not like i'm cruizing along and all of a sudden i hear odd sounds. He didn't try to tell me that i have some sort of toothed geear on a rod that moves along and engages 'gears'.

btw, he told me that for 07-08 the synchros are beefed up a little for 1st and 2nd gear. anyone else heard this?

oh one last thing, i understand a synchro can't grind, i'm not sure why i wrote that... cuz if it would grind, it would be gears fitting in one another, and as a result 'synchros' wouldn't go bad after a while unless they lost their teeth i supposed, but i understand that's not how it works.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 AM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Changed to synchromesh at 20k and now have 25k on the car. The 3rd gear problem when away.

I dunno but sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd while holding the shift knob to the left, i feel slight friction. It kinda feels like zipping a zipper. But if I shift from 1st to 2nd straight down without holding the knob to the left, I don't feel that friction zipper feeling.

Are my teeth messed up also? Car shifts fine but I dunno.