3rd gear issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 AM
TLaspec06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gear issue?

i was curious i was driving the tL down the road very casually,and when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd it seemed like it didnt wanna go into gear, like it went up into gear but not all the way... like it would normally. anyone else have this problem? again this is with 3rd gear only... car has 34k on it, and i dont really race or dog the car either.. was curious before i call Acura. thanks so much
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apsec06
i was curious i was driving the tL down the road very casually,and when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd it seemed like it didnt wanna go into gear, like it went up into gear but not all the way... like it would normally. anyone else have this problem? again this is with 3rd gear only... car has 34k on it, and i dont really race or dog the car either.. was curious before i call Acura. thanks so much
Lots of people. There is a TSB for it. Just got mine fixed last week. 1000% better. I first brought it in for this with 4k miles. Couldn't duplicate it. Brought it back at 10k and they could duplicate.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by apsec06
If Search was working properly, you'd see there's dozens and dozens of threads on this issue. Without belaboring the details, here's the fix that 98% of the 6MT owners here including myself have used. DO IT, IT WORKS!

Get the transmission oil changed with THIS :

You'll probably have to go to a Chevy dealer to buy it, and then go to a regular repair shop to have it done if you can't do it yourself. Make sure the bottle has GM Part# 12377916 on it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MRP Pete
Lots of people. There is a TSB for it. Just got mine fixed last week. 1000% better. I first brought it in for this with 4k miles. Couldn't duplicate it. Brought it back at 10k and they could duplicate.

Could you please let me know if they did follow TSB or did something else? Did you take time to actually drive with a tech to show them the issue or they took your word for it? I am trying to get mine fix and my car return from dealer many times with the same obvious response (can not duplicate problem etc)
Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Instructor

How can I find out if my car has had this tsb done on it or not?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRP Pete
Ditto, well almost exactly (they didn't have to replicate in my case). I took the car in to have the "tighten fuel cap" light checked out. While it was there the SA called and mentioned that he saw the car had been there before for 3rd gear, now they have a TSB for it that they could do if I wanted them to. The hooked me up and I haven't seen the problem since.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mlody
Could you please let me know if they did follow TSB or did something else? Did you take time to actually drive with a tech to show them the issue or they took your word for it? I am trying to get mine fix and my car return from dealer many times with the same obvious response (can not duplicate problem etc)
They did state they followed the TSB. I did not watch them do it. If they did do it, it was completed in record time. Some people state it takes a week to 10 days to do. Mine was done in 2-3 days.

I originally had the car there for this when it had 4k miles (pre-TSB). Took a ride with a tech and could not duplicate it (car was warm). Brought it back at 10k miles and dropped it off at 6pm and let them test. I also printed out the TSB and handed it to the service guy. They said they duplicated it and did a "transmission overhaul".

I am not sure if they did actually duplicate it? I would hope they realize that I was asking them to tear apart my brand new tranny and fix a problem rather than try to pretend there was a problem. If I had 59k or 100k on the tranny, then yeah, I could be looking for a free brand new tranny. Not the case with 4k miles.

Best thing to do is be persistant. Take count of the shifts that day when you go to the dealer. I told mine 4 out of 19 I had to redo. 2/3 of the rest were much worse than perfect. The rest were perfect, or acceptable. If you give them that much detail, they are schmucks if they don't see that something is indeed wrong, whether they can duplicate it or not.

Too much typing.....good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced

they just fixed mine. a lot better. dropped it off on friday and they were done by monday.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just returned from Acura to have PS hose recall. While there, I mentioned the third gear TSB along with drivers side air vent rattle TSB.
Went on a test drive with service tech for TSB's. Could replicate vent rattle, but not 3rd gear issue.
I mentioned that I was going to try the aformentioned GM synchromesh to resolve the issue while driving back to the dealership. Tech said he would go ahead and authorize ordering all the parts (3rd gear sychros plus a whole page of misc parts), and I would be given a loaner for a few days.
They thoroughly washed my car before I left, and to top it off, my one and only rattle is gone!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by redlantrn
just returned from acura to have ps hose recall. While there, i mentioned the third gear tsb along with drivers side air vent rattle tsb.
Went on a test drive with service tech for tsb's. Could replicate vent rattle, but not 3rd gear issue.
I mentioned that i was going to try the aformentioned gm synchromesh to resolve the issue while driving back to the dealership. Tech said he would go ahead and authorize ordering all the parts (3rd gear sychros plus a whole page of misc parts), and i would be given a loaner for a few days.
They thoroughly washed my car before i left, and to top it off, my one and only rattle is gone!
dyn-o-mite!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

c/s 3rd gear issue

take it to the dealer and have them replace the 3rd gear setup .....(bulletin on it )
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

yes i have the same problem

ive got and 05 TL with 48K and it has the same problem any thoughts what it could be - have you called acura about it?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:04 PM
10th Gear

Can anyone post up the TSB because I have a Automatic 05 TL and I have the same problem however the only TSB I could find was for a manual transmission. Does anyone know if it applies to both transmissions?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

no it does not apply to automatic transmissions they only replace 3rd gear and the sencros do to it popping out of gear and grinding when shifting to 3rd! just got my car last week and they only took about 2 days it shift 1000 times better than before!