3G TL door panel blemish repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3G TL door panel blemish repair...

I recently bought a new (to me) 3G TL and this one has a small bruise in the upper (black vinyl) part of the door panel.

It looks as though the vinyl itself isn't damaged or broken though, but somehow the portion underneath it is. Not sure how they pulled that one off!
Anyways, I'm probably going to have to remove the door panel and see if it can be repaired (filled in) from the back side or underneath. Hoping it's an easy fix.
Anyone else seen this before?

If not, my next question is if the black upper part of the panel can be removed from the rest of the panel.... I'd try searching for a good used donor.

Below is an image of the part I'm wondering if it's easy to separate from the rest of the panel...

I've never had my panel off before, but looking at some Ebay pics, it looks like there are screws holding these sections together.
Of course, I'm sure Acura only sells the door panel as one complete part, so I doubt I could buy just that part of the door panel, but would be wishful thinking.

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

I also know some of these vinyl interior airbrush guys can work miracles. Never seen it myself, but might be worth a call to one of them to see if they can just patch and fix it.
Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That indentation is the dreaded elbow dent. I have the same dents (two of them) on my driver's door at about the same spot. I bought the car last year and have been trying to work them out ever since without success. I don't think they will come out.

From what I can see, the top portion of the door panel is not removable from the rest of the door panel. The silver trim, wood grain (or carbon, depending on what year and interior trim) insert, door handle mechanism, and armrest are, but not the dark portion at the top is not.

I wish it were that easy. If it was, I would have replaced mine a long time ago. Except for those elbow dents, my door panel is mint. Trying to find a replacement door panel in as good as shape without the dents is proving to be harder than I thought. If someone comes up with just a way to remove the top padded section, I'm all for it.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbirdman
That indentation is the dreaded elbow dent. I have the same dents (two of them) on my driver's door at about the same spot. I bought the car last year and have been trying to work them out ever since without success. I don't think they will come out.

From what I can see, the top portion of the door panel is not removable from the rest of the door panel. The silver trim, wood grain (or carbon, depending on what year and interior trim) insert, door handle mechanism, and armrest are, but not the dark portion at the top is not.

I wish it were that easy. If it was, I would have replaced mine a long time ago. Except for those elbow dents, my door panel is mint. Trying to find a replacement door panel in as good as shape without the dents is proving to be harder than I thought. If someone comes up with just a way to remove the top padded section, I'm all for it.
I'll do some research and inquiries as to a fix. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

I wish the black upper portion were available separately, but I confirmed today they are not. A new (black vinyl) door handle/ pull is $33. A new door panel is $1255. Yikes!
Hopefully a vinyl repair place can fix it. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
just live with it.
dont spend money on that
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Local interior repair guy says he can fix this for $125. May give it a shot. Worth a try.

Will report back if we have success.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, keep us posted. I would be interested to know how it looks after the repair and what he does to repair it.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I have the same dent but in addition the vinyl near the dent is sticky/gooey feeling no matter what I try and clean it with. I can live with the dent but wish I could get the vinyl less gooey. I've tried isopropyl, window cleaner, 303 and other vinyl cleaners. Just have a feeling that 12 years of skin oils have permanently changed the vinyl.