3G|TL Attempted to change cabin filter, now Car will not start & has electrical probl

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3G|TL Attempted to change cabin filter, now Car will not start & has electrical probl

Hello All,

This is what i did today, to save some money in this economy i tried to replace the AIR FILTER (done, no problem 25 min job) and I attempted to change the AIR CABIN FILTER, I read a post with instructions, so i started taking apart the glove compartment area, but then once i noticed how much work it is i Aborted, because it was getting dark ...

Put everything the way it was, now the car will not start, Navigation is acting up (blinking/white screen etc) When i attempt to start the car the ignition makes very weird clipping noise and the engine does not even start. Overall the car seems like it has an almost dead battery or a possible short somewhere.

Now, I had to un-clip two electrical 'clamps' in the Cabin Filter area (but i reattached them and checked the connection) ... Radio seems to work, but car does not start. overall it feels like its running out of battery power, but it started and ran okay this morning. I am really stomped on what is it that i could have done...???? =( I could call the TLC (roadside assistance) but what do i tell them, about why is the problem happening. ??? can i void the warranty for changing the Air Filter myself? ? I did not got to the cabin filter, because for one it did not look that dirty, as compared to the new one... (so i was going to keep it for another year) and change it then...

Has anybody experienced this?

This is the troubleshooting i did so far:

1. unattached the battery Positive terminal (to reset the system) - no help.
2. Checked all the fuses in the engine compartment - all look Good! is there any more fuses anywhere in the car?
3. of course there is no Message/errors in the display HUD (heads up display?) ... all looks good there
3. Navigation system seems to reset itself every 10-20 seconds. Does not work. when i Try to start the car, a violent white screen of death appears.
4. I believe i have unclipped one of the clamps when I had the radio on. This is my only mistake i can think of.
5. If I shorted something somewhere, how do i un-short it? Reset the system in general?
6. Could always call TLC acura assistance, but what do i tell them?

All these problems, only because a guy wants to save a little $$$. ... i Have an engineering backgroud, so you would think i would be capable of replacing an AIR FILTER. right?

You can rip me a new one, but if you have any troubleshooting suggestions i would be in high debt to the whole community!

Thank You again,

Marek
Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Missing Info 2006 TL w/ NAVI

Sorry forgot to state the Make and Model: 2006 Acura TL w/ Navi.

No Mods, except for the little USASpec iPod/iPhone Controller wedged into the XM plug. I think a lot of us have done that modification. - and it have never given me any problems.

Thanks again, if you have any pointers for me.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
your battery is probably dead, did you leave the map lights on or the door open or use the radio with the car off while you did the cabin change? If you did, the crappy OEM battery has died. Call up TLC, have them jump your car. Go and get yourself a new battery. This type of stuff always happens, do not worry.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
There are fuses in the driver foot well area - near the hood release handle.

Sounds like hte battery ran down though.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your reply csmeance,
I am not suspecting the battery all that much, because the TL cranked & started w/o any problems, and never had any battery problems before. Drive the car every day, about 20 miles each way. It his however an OEM Battery, that has the Little window - to check the status, and it is colorless... which would mean that it may be ready to be replaced... No corrosion on the battery terminals.

had the radio on for about 30-45 minutes when i was working on the car....

It just does not seem like a normal dead battery problem... w/ the weird noise when i try to start.. and the Navigation system is all acting up..

-Marek
Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly there are 2 or 3 relays next to the HVAC housing where you installed the filter. 1 relay is for the heated seats, another for something unknown and the last is something to do with throttle control I believe. Its possible when you removed the glove box that the relays came loose or the connections came loose so I would check those out if the battery is fine. But it really does sound like a weak battery.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

Been Downstairs, checked the fuses in the driver location. All good. than i hooked up the battery and, tried to start the car. Looks like the battery may be dead. BUT, WHY SUCH A COINCIDENCE? Or maybe i just crossed the threshold to of the battery starting this morning, and than 1 hour of working on the car put it over the top? Is it possible to Short the battery? (...NAH?...) Looks like original Delphi battery with the Green Eye contraption. Except that there is no green eye (Read: the battery probably needs to be replaced)..

BUt why is the car's electronics behaving very wierdly? Have never seen the NAVI acting up so bad...

I have checked all the connections that I have undone and checked all that i could have possibly touched/moved/unplugged by accident.

Does the TLC replace the battery on a spot? free of charge or am I better off going to Auto Zone or Murray and getting one myself? Any recommendations?

Thanks again Everyone!

-Marek
Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by smadny
Been Downstairs, checked the fuses in the driver location. All good. than i hooked up the battery and, tried to start the car. Looks like the battery may be dead. BUT, WHY SUCH A COINCIDENCE? Or maybe i just crossed the threshold to of the battery starting this morning, and than 1 hour of working on the car put it over the top? Is it possible to Short the battery? (...NAH?...) Looks like original Delphi battery with the Green Eye contraption. Except that there is no green eye (Read: the battery probably needs to be replaced)..

BUt why is the car's electronics behaving very wierdly? Have never seen the NAVI acting up so bad...

I have checked all the connections that I have undone and checked all that i could have possibly touched/moved/unplugged by accident.

Does the TLC replace the battery on a spot? free of charge or am I better off going to Auto Zone or Murray and getting one myself? Any recommendations?

Thanks again Everyone!

-Marek
If your battery is less than 2 years old, honda/acura will replace it at no charge. If it is 3 years old, then honda/acura will pro-rate a new one for you. IF you battery is 3+ years old, then you will have to buy a new one. Most people like to go with optima batteries since they are local and literally bullet proof since they are dry cell batteries. If you want some addtional performance, on jeggs.com, you can buy the braille lightweight Carbon Fiber batteries and get free shipping.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

the way you describe it, it sounds very much like a dead battery.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:04 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
dead battery...i worked on my car last week (installed accord fogs) and the next day my battery died. i also thought it was unusaul because i just drove my car the day before, and the next morning i went to crank it and i got the clicking sound. at least take the battery to your nearest autoparts store and have them check it
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you for all your Posts & Sugestions!

... and what do you know. It looks like, after all, it was a BAD BATTERY!

Called Acura TLC (roadside assistance) a guy came out and gave me a jump! (took them about 20 minutes to get here - Super fast, nice service - can't really complain . Car started right up. I Let it run for 40 minutes. and i did not have time with the battery at all until the end of the day.

Will call the dealer tomorrow and find out what my options are the battery is less than 3 years. Bought the car on at the end of July 2006. Has anybody else gotten a free replacement or a discounted battery from the Acura Dealer?

Thanks again for all your sugestions. But, i honestly though that the car was not well, and had a short somewhere, since it was acting up very weird.

-Marek
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

I have had 1 battery replaced for free, and the other was prorated. As far as being an electrical short, its easy to believe that. With any car, the car will click fast when trying to start with a dead battery. This clicking produces voltage spikes which caused the flashing white screen on the navi.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
my battery went dead after like 10 months...i took the battery out of the car and took it to the dealer, 5 minutes later i walked out with a free replacement battery, and its different and has a warranty right on it....something like a 100 month warranty....