2008 Acura TL TYPE-S Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Acura TL TYPE-S Crank No Start

Hello Fellas,

First id like to thank you all for all of the information so far, i've gone through a lot of threads trying to fix my problem. First id like to note that i've had an off and on P10171 (BANK 1 LEAN) code as well as the car warning me to tighten my fuel cap, but i've read there is a service bulletin that fixes this I just hadn't got around to getting it taken care of because I don't live near a dealer. So here it is, I was driving and the car felt great as usual. Then I went to slow down at a stop light and the car sputtered and died. So I try to get it started again and it will crank and crank but wont start, but I have noticed after I leave it sitting for a day and try to start it, it will try to fire but just can't . The first thing I did was check all of the fuses I could, and even replaced the recalled Fuel Pump relay. Then I tried a small amount of starting fluid trying to determine if i'm missing fuel or spark, when it still didn't try to start I assumed it was spark and replaced the plugs and checked for spark. When it had spark, I thought it had to be fuel related and that the starting fluid approach must just have been inconclusive. So I checked my fuel pump pressure and after priming and trying to turn the car over it sits at about 58 PSI, so the fuel pump is fine. I've also read there is a problem with the key not being recognized, so anti-theft keeps it from starting but other than it not starting I show no signs of this being the issue (no blinking key light). My battery is great, even if I try to jump the car I have the same symptoms. At this point my next guess is maybe its my injectors? Or maybe it has something else to do with my P10171 code and there is a faulty sensor? I used an OBDII diagnostic and the only indication I have is the P10171, but the code hadn't been cleared since the car had been running so i'm not positive if this would be my issue. Any suggestions would be wonderful, if I don't have any luck soon im afraid ill have to get it to a dealer somehow but Id rather not have to give up my left testicle for what seems like it should be something simple.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2019, 01:03 PM
6th Gear

I forgot to add that I removed the timing belt cover and it looked fine, I read it would show similar symptoms if it had broken. The car is just shy of 130k miles and had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 95k
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

o2 sensor code.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Thanks for the reply. I've done research on the code before I posted. From my understanding the code can indicate a couple problems, and there is a TSB for this car (quoted below). But out of everything I could find I couldn't find anyone with a no start kind of issue like I do with this code. So i have no idea if the code is even relevant to the car not starting. So should I just replace the o2 sensor and hope it fixes the problem? Could this code be thrown with injector issues? From what i've read there are several things that can possibly throw this code.

"Applies To: 2007–08 TL Type–S – ALL
MIL Comes On With DTC P0171 or P0174
SYMPTOM
The MIL is on with DTC P0171 (rear bank [bank 1] fuel
system too lean) or DTC P0174 (front bank [bank 2]
fuel system too lean).
PROBABLE CAUSE
The PCM misinterprets inputs as a lean condition.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software with the HDS.
SOFTWARE INFORMATION
HDS Software Version: 2.015.018 Sept 2008 (blue) or
later.
Control Module (CM) Update:
Application Version V6.13.09 or later.
Database Update 01-SEPT-2008 or later.
NOTE: If you use an earlier HDS software version, the
HDS may incorrectly indicate that the vehicle does not
need an update when it actually does.
The updated PGM-FI software program IDs and P/Ns
are shown below. If this, or a later program ID, is the
Current Program ID displayed during the update, the
software for this service bulletin is already installed.
ork.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
Update the PGM-FI software with the HDS. Refer to
Service Bulletin 01-026, Updating Control Units/
Modules.
Year/Model Program ID Program P/N
2007 with M/T DBA040 37805-RDB-A04 or later
2007 with A/T DBA550 37805-RDB-A55 or later
2008 with M/T DBA120 37805-RDB-A12 or later
2008 with A/T DBA620 37805-RDB-A62 or later"
Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM
6th Gear

So I pulled out a spark plug today and this is what it looked like. It was only really at the tip or maybe the first thread or two seemed to have gas and maybe oil on it? I just barely put these in a couple days ago and have only been used when trying to start the car. Is this any indication of my problem? Do I need to change my valve cover gaskets?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Googling "fuel on spark plugs" will say...

perhaps leaky injector..
perhaps your multiple start up attempts fouled the plugs.

google is awesome!
Knowing this; it seems you fouled your new spark plugs by trying to start it multiple times without success...then, when the fuel dries up, it will create a spark.
This isnt your issue, but one you created.

could it be as simple as a bad starter?

Last edited by justnspace; 06-11-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
Googling "fuel on spark plugs" will say...

perhaps leaky injector..
perhaps your multiple start up attempts fouled the plugs.

google is awesome!
Knowing this; it seems you fouled your new spark plugs by trying to start it multiple times without success...then, when the fuel dries up, it will create a spark.
This isnt your issue, but one you created.

could it be as simple as a bad starter?
I am no newbie to Google, I agree it is awesome. Most pictures and explanations I found varied from what I thought I was looking at. And I wasn't positive how it exactly related to my specific situation. So I added to the forum to get some insight, which you gave. I guess I'll have to be careful about trying to start it too much . 😊

It could be a possibility it is the starter, but would it cause the motor to stall while driving? Wouldn't there be an indication while trying to start, like noise, or wouldn't the cranking seem odd?

Would a leaky injector stall the car? The most common situation I've read are misfires or other symptoms, which I didn't notice before it stalled. Is it possible it would keep the car from starting at all?

Thanks for the insight
Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tryston Vincent
I am no newbie to Google, I agree it is awesome. Most pictures and explanations I found varied from what I thought I was looking at. And I wasn't positive how it exactly related to my specific situation. So I added to the forum to get some insight, which you gave. I guess I'll have to be careful about trying to start it too much . 😊

It could be a possibility it is the starter, but would it cause the motor to stall while driving? Wouldn't there be an indication while trying to start, like noise, or wouldn't the cranking seem odd?

Would a leaky injector stall the car? The most common situation I've read are misfires or other symptoms, which I didn't notice before it stalled. Is it possible it would keep the car from starting at all?

Thanks for the insight

Def not starter if its cranking. Fuel pump primes when yiu turn key to on position? Youll hear alil whine from the back passenger seat if fuel pump primes and kicks on
Old 06-18-2019, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

I did a compression test and the results were pretty bad. I had good compression in only half of the cylinders, the back 3 had zero compression. So I hauled it to a dealer, and the timing was off and toasted the motor. Looks like ill be putting a different motor in it. Yay! I suppose that is what I get for believing the guy I bought it from when he said he replaced the timing belt and water pump. Won't make that mistake again. Thank you all for the help.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I did a compression test and the results were pretty bad. I had good compression in only half of the cylinders, the back 3 had zero compression. So I hauled it to a dealer, and the timing was off and toasted the motor. Looks like ill be putting a different motor in it. Yay! I suppose that is what I get for believing the guy I bought it from when he said he replaced the timing belt and water pump. Won't make that mistake again. Thank you all for the help.

Put a j37 motor in it
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
I would expect the engine to run like crap and give you some DTCs.