2005 TL Tranny Kicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 TL Tranny Kicks

I have that famous transmission problem where it kicks between 2-3 and sometimes while downshifting from 3-2 in automatic mode.

They kept testing the car and running diags and kept saying, "We cant reproduce."

I went for a ride with the guy and noticed he gunned it every time he tried to reproduce the problem. It occured to me that I don't drive like that 90% of the time. I asked him to drive like he is in Chicago commute traffic, in-town driving, or Sunday driving. It kicked twice!

WOOT!

They kept it over night and a different tech diaged it the next day. They tried to same crap with it hooked up to their diag machine. They tried to pawn it off. I told them to accelerate slower because the issue never happens when I accelerate fast. They called back 30 mins and said they will replace the tranny. Free of charge!

Anyone think this will fix the issue? Also should I ask for any specific type of tranny fluid?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by sysfailure0x5a
I have that famous transmission problem where it kicks between 2-3 and sometimes while downshifting from 3-2 in automatic mode.

They kept testing the car and running diags and kept saying, "We cant reproduce."

I went for a ride with the guy and noticed he gunned it every time he tried to reproduce the problem. It occured to me that I don't drive like that 90% of the time. I asked him to drive like he is in Chicago commute traffic, in-town driving, or Sunday driving. It kicked twice!

WOOT!

They kept it over night and a different tech diaged it the next day. They tried to same crap with it hooked up to their diag machine. They tried to pawn it off. I told them to accelerate slower because the issue never happens when I accelerate fast. They called back 30 mins and said they will replace the tranny. Free of charge!

Anyone think this will fix the issue? Also should I ask for any specific type of tranny fluid?
It's a known issue around here, one of the most talked about subjects. Do a search for "racing atf" and "very interesting conversation with my trans builder". You don't need a new trans, you need a couple of switches and a different fluid.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's a known issue around here, one of the most talked about subjects. Do a search for "racing atf" and "very interesting conversation with my trans builder". You don't need a new trans, you need a couple of switches and a different fluid.
Yeah, but they are replacing it anyway and they are paying for it. I was just wondering if I should ask for any specific type of fluid because I've found in several posts that the stock fluid they use is garbage.

EDIT: After replacing the tranny it will come with a full 1 yr warranty so it needs to be something that wont void my warranty.

Last edited by sysfailure0x5a; 08-05-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by sysfailure0x5a
Yeah, but they are replacing it anyway and they are paying for it. I was just wondering if I should ask for any specific type of fluid because I've found in several posts that the stock fluid they use is garbage.

EDIT: After replacing the tranny it will come with a full 1 yr warranty so it needs to be something that wont void my warranty.
They will only put Z1 or the new Acura fluid in it. They don't test fluid if you have a failure so you can dump the Z1 immediately and put a good fluid in it. Even if you told them you were running a non factory fluid, they can't void the warranty. They can give you a hard time and even lie but legally they can't do anything. The racing atf thread has the reasons why but a type F fluid will give the longest trans life.

Make 100% sure they replace the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. This is why your old trans is doing what it's doing. If they transfer the old ones over which is fairly common, the new trans will be dead in a year or so.

You're getting a free transmission but it's going to be a rebuild and you have to worry about if the job is done right or not. Right now you could just replace a couple switches and it would be fine.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I would listen to IHC....

1> Switch the switches....
2> Switch to Redline type F ATF...
Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sysfailure how many miles does your car have?
After they install the rebuilt tranny follow IHC's advise of using a better ATF.
& make sure the switches are new.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mindanaomoro
Sysfailure how many miles does your car have?
After they install the rebuilt tranny follow IHC's advise of using a better ATF.
& make sure the switches are new.
I have about 118k on it. Ill pressure them to make sure new switches are installed. I'm just not sure how to tell them, why would they listen to me? They barely listened when I said the tran kicked and the front end vibrates at 65mph (they blame my tires on the vibrating still)

How much would it cost (average) to replace the ATF at a third party shop?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM

you can change the switches yourself...and do a flush yourself....

Let the dealer just do a rebuilt...
Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swoosh
you can change the switches yourself...and do a flush yourself....

Let the dealer just do a rebuilt...
I live in Chicago in a Condo... No driveway or garage to do the work myself. So it should be cheap to have someone else do it then?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM

I live in an apt and do all the stuff in my carport...

All you need is a jack and some basic tools...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey dude - I live in Chicago too, in the Northern sub-burb. I am more than happy to help you with the switch and tranny fluid flush.

Here's the thing - Honda do not use Z1 anymore it is the new DW1 now. Better fluid than the Z1 but not as good as the Redline D4 or Racing AFT. BUT, they will analyze your fluid and if it's not Honda then they will void your warranty.

So it's a bit of a gamble, but assuming that everything feels right after the rebuilt - I would just switch out the fluid and go straight to D4. I don't have a garage either but can do it in the lot. Takes about 2 hours if there are two people.

Did you use McGrath or Arlington Heights? McGrath is not too bad, but the Dealer in A.H is a joke. PM me if you need help.

Also, I also have a friend that has a shop who specializes in Honda/Acura. He did my timing belt and I highly recommend him if you ever need any major work. I even built his site for him. www.pitshopgarage.com. A few members here took their cars to him and had good things to say.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
BTW - are you some sort of developer? Why the second byte of an EXE?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Eagle you stole my thoughts....LOL

OP why dont you run DW1 and then later down the line switch up to Redline...
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EagleEye
BTW - are you some sort of developer? Why the second byte of an EXE?
0x5a is for STOP: 0x0000005A
CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED

I just work in IT, have all my life

I'd rather take my car into a shop for the work, just a thing.

I went to the dealership in Orland Park, by Tinley Park. I'm on the SW side right now but plan to move downtown next year. They gave me a 2011 TSX fully decked as a loaner until Thursday/Friday.

As for the fluid, I might just jump to the good stuff right away vs putting two different fluids in it.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi im from Chicago too there's a really good place called HASS its by montrose ave and pulasky they specialize on hondas an acura cars last time they charged me 16 dollars to cange my hid light bulbs i heard the dealer charges arround 200 or more so check on the web the place i dont have the number now but let me know if you need it