2005, Engine sounds like it's barely turning over

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005, Engine sounds like it's barely turning over

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched this forum for the past 2 hours looking for an answer and can't find it.

This morning, I tried to start my TL and the engine sounds like it's barely turning over. It eventually caught, but I didn't think it would. Everything was working fine so I drove it. Got to where I needed to be, turned it off and tried starting it again. Started fine. 1/2 hour later, had to go somewhere and the same problem with the enging barely turning over.

I put HEET in the gas just in case there was water in the gas my husband bought. No help. It sounds like the batteries dying. It ran just fine yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by JAL4
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched this forum for the past 2 hours looking for an answer and can't find it.

This morning, I tried to start my TL and the engine sounds like it's barely turning over. It eventually caught, but I didn't think it would. Everything was working fine so I drove it. Got to where I needed to be, turned it off and tried starting it again. Started fine. 1/2 hour later, had to go somewhere and the same problem with the enging barely turning over.

I put HEET in the gas just in case there was water in the gas my husband bought. No help. It sounds like the batteries dying. It ran just fine yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
That's because it is. Autozone can check it for free, or it is probably still under warranty.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to go with a battery on that one too!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
5th Gear

Sure enough, it was the battery. I already dealt with the outside temp reading of --- and had that fixed last summer and a new battery installed so I wasn't expecting to need a new one already.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
8th Gear

Its weird, i had this same problem too... They replaced my battery about 1 month ago.. but now its starting again...

Ill turn the key and nothing will happen for 2-3 seconds, then the car will turnover for about 2-5 tries.. and then it will start..

What else can it be?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
5th Gear

Sorry to tell you this, but I wound up having to get a new battery. The guy said it was probably because of the extreme heat we had in DC and that my car was sitting in the garage not being used while we were on vacation that caused it to happen. Not happy the battery was barely a year old. Instead of getting another substandard battery from the dealer, I paid for a new one at Auto Zone. I'd rather pay the money and have peace of mind instead.

good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
jal4- i guess i'm a little too late- but there was a TSB for the 05 TL battery. I had a problem with mine when my car died, and the dealer gave me a brand new battery.

peace of mind is priceless- enjoy the ride
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
jal4- i guess i'm a little too late- but there was a TSB for the 05 TL battery. I had a problem with mine when my car died, and the dealer gave me a brand new battery.

peace of mind is priceless- enjoy the ride

Here's the LINK TO THE TSB . If your car has Navigation, check to see if your car's VIN is included.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
5th Gear

Thanks ggesq and ChuckDu for the info. I already knew about the navi problem. That's why I had the battery replaced by Acura a couple of times before this one. Funny, I found out about the navi problem on this site before my dealer knew about it.

The other reason I just went out and bought a battery on my own was because it was 8 pm by the time my husband believed me that there was an issue with the car and not "user error". Since he has to be at work by 5 am and I had to be somewhere by 8 am, I couldn't wait on the dealer to take it and hope for a loaner.

Anyway, my issue's resolved. I guess I was hoping it wasn't going to be the battery so soon. But in hindsight, the battery issue was better than a lot of other things that could have gone wrong.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAL4
Thanks ggesq and ChuckDu for the info. I already knew about the navi problem. That's why I had the battery replaced by Acura a couple of times before this one.
Assuming your car is within the range of VINs for the TSB: Did the dealer replace the subcontrol unit when you notified them of the TSB? If so, your battery problems should have been resolved. If not, you WILL continue to go through batteries.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ChuckDu
Assuming your car is within the range of VINs for the TSB: Did the dealer replace the subcontrol unit when you notified them of the TSB? If so, your battery problems should have been resolved. If not, you WILL continue to go through batteries.

Yes, after the 2nd new battery, they got the TSB and did what they needed to do. I just don't think they use top of the line batteries so it was bound to happen. There was quite a bit of corrosion around the terminal so it was definitely a bad battery situation and not the navigation.

Thanks again! To be honest, other than the navi problem and the battery dying this time, it's been a great car for us. I've had 1 Honda and 2 Acuras and have been very happy with all of them. Well, other than where the fog lights are next to the regular headlights instead of lower like they're doing them now. Maybe it's time for a new one.