2005 Acura TL- Transmission lag /Gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Acura TL- Transmission lag /Gear issues

Hey Guys,
Need your expertise/opinion on the problem im facing with my Acura TL 2005.

Simple Scenario:
I start the car, shift into D mode, lags for about 3-5 sec and moves.
It is fine until after certain distance when i am stepping on gas, the gears would not change but the RPM needle would move and reaches to a point where my engine is ON but the car just would not accelerate but maintains its momentum for a bit and stops.

Sometimes, the gears would catch on and shift and I can move as long as im not stepping too hard on gas and maintain a low speed and RPM.

If any of you guys have any info or idea as what the problem could be, I would appreciate your help and pass it on in future.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by keerthiv
Hey Guys,
Need your expertise/opinion on the problem im facing with my Acura TL 2005.

Simple Scenario:
I start the car, shift into D mode, lags for about 3-5 sec and moves.
It is fine until after certain distance when i am stepping on gas, the gears would not change but the RPM needle would move and reaches to a point where my engine is ON but the car just would not accelerate but maintains its momentum for a bit and stops.

Sometimes, the gears would catch on and shift and I can move as long as im not stepping too hard on gas and maintain a low speed and RPM.

If any of you guys have any info or idea as what the problem could be, I would appreciate your help and pass it on in future.

Thank you all in advance.
I dont know the answer, I hate cars will prly get on here and tell you exactly what is wrong. In the meantime you should prly give more information he is going to ask like. When you have changed atf fluid, what fluid did you use and has the problem gradually happened or immediately also how long have you had the issue.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
I dont know the answer, I hate cars will prly get on here and tell you exactly what is wrong. In the meantime you should prly give more information he is going to ask like. When you have changed atf fluid, what fluid did you use and has the problem gradually happened or immediately also how long have you had the issue.
Well i dropped my car with a mechanic to verify the status of the ATF for now.

I bought this car recently from a previous owner and he mentioned changing the ATF, but wont know until my mechanic gives me an update on it.
However one thing i did noticed was when i shift the gear in to Reverse, its works just fine with no issues.

I am contemplating if this would require a transmission rebuild or an ATF change would fix it based on the symptoms i mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like a transmission fluid change is going to correct this issue, keep us posted!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like a transmission fluid change is going to correct this issue, keep us posted!
spoke to my mechanic.. he said that the fluid is burn out and smells bad so something could have burnt out in the transmission.. looks like a definite transmission rebuild.
Also mentioned that the gears shift whne the engine is started and the car moves but apparently it heats up after certain distance and stalls.

Transmission Rebuild--My heart just skipped a beat!!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine is at the shop now getting rebuilt. I had the same lagging between shifts and shifting from p to d and r to d. I had burnt fluid and when the tranny was cold it would still shift, but when it got hot no more shifts. I religiously changed my fluid 3x3 and pressure sensors and it finally crapped out at 102800mi. $2500 later and i can pick my car up toward the end of next week. I still have to get my timing belt/105 mi service too.