2005 Acura TL no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Acura TL no start

Hello all!

Wife's car won't start VERY intermittently. Dealer checked battery/starter/system and could not find anything. Turning the ignition switch produces just a small click (starter relay?). After about 15 tries, the cars starts right up like there's no problem. Anyways, the dealer said the key does not have a chip in it but I wanted confirmation from the experts here. Here's a video I found of exactly what it does:
(Not sure of the year TL though. Profanity at the end)

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if it starts at the end, its most likely the starter going out....

video published in 2012??? you mean you've had this problem since then?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
if it starts at the end, its most likely the starter going out....

video published in 2012??? you mean you've had this problem since then?

No.....problem has been off and on (mostly off) for only a month. The video I found online was not created by me. It only depicts what is happening
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone found a solution for this starting problem yet? I've had this happening now for several months, but it is very difficult to trouble shoot since it happens randomly/intermittently.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by garrettdigital
Has anyone found a solution for this starting problem yet? I've had this happening now for several months, but it is very difficult to trouble shoot since it happens randomly/intermittently.
Do you have any issues such as the radio or Navi asking for a code?
If yes, check the battery clamps to make sure they are corrosion free and tight (i.e. don't move at all when pulled hard) on the battery posts. Clean and tighten if not tight. Then check the battery cable ends at the grounds and starter to ensure they are corrosion free and tight.
If no, try tapping the starter with a breaker bar or long solid wood or metal bar when the starter doesn't turn. If the starter then works, it's a bad starter.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2005 TL and fixed this same issue in 2014. The problem is the starter solenoid internal plunger not making contact to give power to the starter motor. I would hear a faint click but nothing happens.

The solenoid is a complete sealed unit. I bought a replacement solenoid off ebay and had no problems. I decided to take apart and clean the starter armature with electrical contact cleaner spray since my starter still looks pretty good, just dirty.
Also replaced the carbon brushes while I was in there since they seemed a bit worn. Car starts right up on first crank.

Just make sure the parts you get from ebay match what you have in your starter. Or you can buy a new starter.

Cleaned and noticed the brushes were a bit short from wear.

Old carbon brushes.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Do you have any issues such as the radio or Navi asking for a code?
If yes, check the battery clamps to make sure they are corrosion free and tight (i.e. don't move at all when pulled hard) on the battery posts. Clean and tighten if not tight. Then check the battery cable ends at the grounds and starter to ensure they are corrosion free and tight.
If no, try tapping the starter with a breaker bar or long solid wood or metal bar when the starter doesn't turn. If the starter then works, it's a bad starter.
Cleaning the battery terminals and making sure the battery was charged was the first thing I did several months ago. Sounds like I'm looking at an issue with the starter.

Originally Posted by CWilly75
I have a 2005 TL and fixed this same issue in 2014. The problem is the starter solenoid internal plunger not making contact to give power to the starter motor. I would hear a faint click but nothing happens.

The solenoid is a complete sealed unit. I bought a replacement solenoid off ebay and had no problems. I decided to take apart and clean the starter armature with electrical contact cleaner spray since my starter still looks pretty good, just dirty.
Also replaced the carbon brushes while I was in there since they seemed a bit worn. Car starts right up on first crank.

Just make sure the parts you get from ebay match what you have in your starter. Or you can buy a new starter.
Do you happen to know have any part numbers for the solenoid and carbon brushes?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can search ebay for "starter solenoid acura TL" for the solenoid. It should be around $22-$29
Also search for "starter repair kit acura TL". Look for the one with a tail like my picture above and should cost around $15.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
CocheseUGA (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by CWilly75
You can search ebay for "starter solenoid acura TL" for the solenoid. It should be around $22-$29
Also search for "starter repair kit acura TL". Look for the one with a tail like my picture above and should cost around $15.
Good luck!
Interesting. What is the installation procedure for the solenoid? Do you still have to remove the starter unit to disassemble? If so, it should be pretty obvious from that point.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2005 TL that is doing some what the same. it started about 6 months ago. I replaced the battery cables and mad sure it had good ground. worked for about a month then started back. now when we turn the key there is a sizzling sound coming from the fuse box at left leg on drivers side .I am currently trying to diagnose but so far nothing. andrewatkjohn
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you considered taking your starter to have it rebuilt? I had mine done locally for about $45 and it only took a few hours for them to rebuild it.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear

Smile andrewatkjohn (john)

Hi, Thanks for the replies on Acura TL no start issues. as I stated before for anyone who is new to this thread my problem started about a year ago . At that time when key was turned over all lights came on but nothing else no clicking ,no buzzing nothing . I checked battery and terminals and cables . There was a lot of corrosion and I replaced the hot wire from fuse panel to battery to starter. for about a month it was fine but little at a time started getting back to where it wouldn't start again. most times after 10-20 times of turning key it would start ,but then the buzzing in fuse panel at drivers left leg got worse until it just wouldn't start.. I'm not sure where I found it but I found out that the buzzing was coming from the starter relay switch. You can go to YouTube to find how to test that fuse and how to get to it. but the fuse was good so I found a article that said the buzzing was because the ignition switch was sending proper voltage to it . I am currently waiting for the new switch to come (ordered a standard brand with 5 yr. warranty off amazon.com for about 40.00$. You don't need to replace the key cylinder part or new keys this is just the intermotor part and is fairly simple to replace. The dealer wanted 4-650.00 to fix ignition and 600.00 (+) for fuse panel. I have read so many stories of people replacing batteries, starters, keys , transmission switch for park/neutral all just to have problem return. I really believe either dealer ships are just stupid or they just use this for profit, for profit is my thought. this problem has been around on Hondas and Acura's for over 15 years. I believe this ignition switch is going to fix my problem can't guarantee it for all of you but I will post a thread after I put in new switch to let everyone know. Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by andrewatkjohn
Hi, Thanks for the replies on Acura TL no start issues. as I stated before for anyone who is new to this thread my problem started about a year ago . At that time when key was turned over all lights came on but nothing else no clicking ,no buzzing nothing . I checked battery and terminals and cables . There was a lot of corrosion and I replaced the hot wire from fuse panel to battery to starter. for about a month it was fine but little at a time started getting back to where it wouldn't start again. most times after 10-20 times of turning key it would start ,but then the buzzing in fuse panel at drivers left leg got worse until it just wouldn't start.. I'm not sure where I found it but I found out that the buzzing was coming from the starter relay switch. You can go to YouTube to find how to test that fuse and how to get to it. but the fuse was good so I found a article that said the buzzing was because the ignition switch was sending proper voltage to it . I am currently waiting for the new switch to come (ordered a standard brand with 5 yr. warranty off amazon.com for about 40.00$. You don't need to replace the key cylinder part or new keys this is just the intermotor part and is fairly simple to replace. The dealer wanted 4-650.00 to fix ignition and 600.00 (+) for fuse panel. I have read so many stories of people replacing batteries, starters, keys , transmission switch for park/neutral all just to have problem return. I really believe either dealer ships are just stupid or they just use this for profit, for profit is my thought. this problem has been around on Hondas and Acura's for over 15 years. I believe this ignition switch is going to fix my problem can't guarantee it for all of you but I will post a thread after I put in new switch to let everyone know. Thanks
where you able to fix your problem?