AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   2004 TL w/ 59k Miles...Tranny seems like its ready to go. (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/2004-tl-w-59k-miles-tranny-seems-like-its-ready-go-763240/)

Nasir 02-10-2010 07:32 AM

2004 TL w/ 59k Miles...Tranny seems like its ready to go.

So I have a 2004 NBP...only 59K miles on it, babied from day one, but still out of warranty.

Recently the tranny seems like its really to give up on me:

-Shudders like crazy (Esp. driving up San Francisco hills)
-Sloppy shifting
-Slipping every once in a while (Esp. driving up San Francisco hills)

I plan on doing a 3x3 drain and replacing the 3rd and 4th gear switches this weekend.....but my question is, will these only be temporary solutions and is a pricey new tranny in my future? Any help is much appreciated.

Turbonut 02-10-2010 08:26 AM

No one can give you a mileage figure as to when the trans may go, plus you won't even know if any positive changes are noticed until you do the trans fluid change along with the sensor changes.
It may be on its way out, too far gone, and nothing will correct the problem, then again......

Let us know the outcome after the maintenance.

rolan04tl 02-10-2010 08:41 AM

^^^ true... You need to do the switches and 3x3 as soon as possible. Both are easy DIYs. but time is of essence to prevent further damage. I hope your able to save your tranny. raplacement at an Acura dealer could run up to $4k. However, ive read on other threads here that you could get it rebuilt at a professional shop for about $2k.

Keep us updated and good luck,

Rolan

azzyork 02-12-2010 10:44 PM

yes mos def save money, aft 3x3 and change your pressure switches (http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149). i have a 2005 acura tl AT at 86k and its costing me 1300 for a rebuild with 2 year warranty. keep us updated. Good luck!

SodaLuvr 02-14-2010 03:22 AM

Forget servicing the transmission; just bring it to the dealer.

The transmission is covered under the 6 year/70k powertrain warranty. Even if you are slightly out-of-warranty, Acura is probably going to pick up the bill.

csmeance 02-14-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nasir (Post 11729083)
So I have a 2004 NBP...only 59K miles on it, babied from day one, but still out of warranty.

Recently the tranny seems like its really to give up on me:

-Shudders like crazy (Esp. driving up San Francisco hills)
-Sloppy shifting
-Slipping every once in a while (Esp. driving up San Francisco hills)

I plan on doing a 3x3 drain and replacing the 3rd and 4th gear switches this weekend.....but my question is, will these only be temporary solutions and is a pricey new tranny in my future? Any help is much appreciated.

The 60K interval for fluid is based on regular driving (places with little to no hills). 30-45K is the extreme interval according to honda/acura; and that's what you should have followed to help prolong the life of the trans. The clutch packs are starting to fall apart.

As sodaluvr said, take it to the dealer and have them fix it. They will probably pick up the cost and if not maybe 75% of the cost.

SodaLuvr 02-14-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 11741707)
The 60K interval for fluid is based on regular driving (places with little to no hills). 30-45K is the extreme interval according to honda/acura; and that's what you should have followed to help prolong the life of the trans. The clutch packs are starting to fall apart.

That is somewhat correct, but not completely.

Under normal driving, the fluid must be replaced when the "3" code is given by the Maintenance Minder. During normal driving, this can appear anytime between 60-100k on the 04-06 TL. On the 07+ TL, the updated transmission does not require a fluid change until at least 120,000 miles.

If the vehicle is used for towing (unlikely with a TL), towed behind a motorhome or is driven in a mountainous region, the manual says to replace the fluid every 30,000 miles.

Here is the info from page four of the Sept 2005 issue of Acura ServiceNews:

ATF - the ATF should be replaced every 30,000 miles if you use the vehicle mostly for towing or you drive in mountainous areas.

Keep in mind only a small percentage of vehicle owners are actually involved in these driving situations. All other vehicle owners should follow the maintenance minder system.
It would be very difficult for the dealer to prove that the OP only operated his vehicle in mountainous areas. So, as far as the ATF service interval is concerned, he should be in the clear.

However, whether or not he needs to follow the 30,000 mile service interval to prolong the life of his transmission is debatable. I have personally noticed ATF-Z1 to show a severe degradation in shift quality after 30,000 miles as indicated by slow/slopping upshifts and clunking downshifts when coming to a stop. At the same time, I have yet to see a transmission failure that could directly be linked to the lack of frequent fluid changes; all Honda transmission failures that I have seen were on units that were destined to fail regardless of maintenance history.

Indy04TL 03-03-2010 05:31 PM

Beautiful!! Never heard it explained this way, even after racing 10+ years in SCCA!! Love It!!

techguy 03-04-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr (Post 11742305)
That is somewhat correct, but not completely.

Under normal driving, the fluid must be replaced when the "3" code is given by the Maintenance Minder. During normal driving, this can appear anytime between 60-100k on the 04-06 TL. On the 07+ TL, the updated transmission does not require a fluid change until at least 120,000 miles.

If the vehicle is used for towing (unlikely with a TL), towed behind a motorhome or is driven in a mountainous region, the manual says to replace the fluid every 30,000 miles.

Here is the info from page four of the Sept 2005 issue of Acura ServiceNews:

It would be very difficult for the dealer to prove that the OP only operated his vehicle in mountainous areas. So, as far as the ATF service interval is concerned, he should be in the clear.

However, whether or not he needs to follow the 30,000 mile service interval to prolong the life of his transmission is debatable. I have personally noticed ATF-Z1 to show a severe degradation in shift quality after 30,000 miles as indicated by slow/slopping upshifts and clunking downshifts when coming to a stop. At the same time, I have yet to see a transmission failure that could directly be linked to the lack of frequent fluid changes; all Honda transmission failures that I have seen were on units that were destined to fail regardless of maintenance history.

Thanks for the info. I have 61K on my 04 and started to wonder about changing the tranny fluid. I'll wait for the minder light.

djflex167 03-05-2010 03:02 AM

sorry for the noob question, but what is 3x3?

RJNN TL 03-06-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by djflex167 (Post 11799573)
sorry for the noob question, but what is 3x3?

It's pretty much. Drain and Refill 3X's. :P

Yeah my 05 TL I did the 3X3 it helped it shift smoother. And I did it at 98K Now I have 105K. No issues with the tranny. :P

VENOME1 03-11-2010 07:54 PM

THANK'S GUYS. I'M NEW HEAR AND DID'NT UNDERSTAND WHAT 3x3 WAS.