2004 TL Navigation Gone Flaky

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL Navigation Gone Flaky

The navigation on my TL has started showing some bizarre behavior. One day it seems to be working fine and then for no reason (well I'm sure that there has to be a reason but I can't figure it out) it will start to show the vehicle location as being on a different road on the map then where it actually is and/or going at a much higher or sometimes lower rate of speed than it is actually going (ie. I'll be going 25 mph in my neighborhood and it will have me clipping along at twice the speed based on the map). I've looked at the DVD (which is the original disc) in the trunk assuming that it might have fallen victim to the scratching that the drives do when they fail but it looks good as new. I've not done any of the hacks to remove the start-up screen and it doesn't appear that the previous owner had done any mods to the system. Also, a reboot of the system doesn't seem to help either. So I'm at a loss for if the drive is failing or if it's something more serious.

If anyone has some ideas of things to check or has encountered this kind of behavior I'd appreciate your thoughts on what might be going on or I need to check.

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad
The navigation on my TL has started showing some bizarre behavior. One day it seems to be working fine and then for no reason (well I'm sure that there has to be a reason but I can't figure it out) it will start to show the vehicle location as being on a different road on the map then where it actually is and/or going at a much higher or sometimes lower rate of speed than it is actually going (ie. I'll be going 25 mph in my neighborhood and it will have me clipping along at twice the speed based on the map). I've looked at the DVD (which is the original disc) in the trunk assuming that it might have fallen victim to the scratching that the drives do when they fail but it looks good as new. I've not done any of the hacks to remove the start-up screen and it doesn't appear that the previous owner had done any mods to the system. Also, a reboot of the system doesn't seem to help either. So I'm at a loss for if the drive is failing or if it's something more serious.

If anyone has some ideas of things to check or has encountered this kind of behavior I'd appreciate your thoughts on what might be going on or I need to check.

Thanks,
Kurt
The dvd navi drive in the trunk could be going bad. I think people have sent them back to Alpine for a replacement.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It's never been clear to me if the DVD drive in the trunk was just a reader or if it also handled processing data from the GPS antenna. I had assumed that the processing was done in the head unit but that may have been a wrong assumption.