2004 Acura TL Steering Wheel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura TL Steering Wheel Problem

I know I'm going to get comments like:
"Search around, there are a million threads regarding this topic."

Honestly, I have tried searching through the forum while currently at work because I don't feel comfortable knowing that my car isn't properly functioning. Basically I mean to say, I'm sorry, I am asking for your help.

General Information:
2004 NBP (Automatic) w/ 63000 Mileage. Note: Soon due for oil change.
Also, Dashboard displayed code "A1". Unfortunately, I can't access the online manual for some strange reason. If anyone could define the code for me, much appreciated.

Oh, no warranty.

Problem:
12/15/2010 - On my way to work, around 6:30 AM, I noticed that my steering wheel was stiff when making turns (either left or right). First thought came to mind was my power steering fluid.
As I open up my hood to take off the plastic to inspect the power steering fluid, I got "bonked" on the head by my own hood. It appears that the hydraulics are failing to support the suspension of the hood (Just thought I'd share -- I digress )
Back to the matter, I checked the fluid, it could use a refill. Always been using the fluid from Acura Dealership and confirmed it is the best way through AcuraZine. I figured everything would be okay.
On my way back home from work, a very distinctive noise, a whir-like noise, could be heard around the front passenger dashboard area. (You guys are going to have to give me example of sounds to label it as if you don't understand the context of the sound -- "whirr" just sounds right to me )
I searched through AcuraZine Forums and came across:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/
(To replace the o-ring)

I will be purchasing that with along the power steering fluid hopefully tonight.

Any inputs or comments are welcomed, hopefully the problem is solved with the listed solution above.
But just in case, I would like to be reassured with a back-up plan.
Thank you.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by dbqkqh; 12-16-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
has the recall been performed on your car? If not GO ASAP! ENGINE FIRE COULD RESULT IF NOT PERFORMED!

If it has been performed, check the system for leaks and then proceed futher.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
has the recall been performed on your car? If not GO ASAP! ENGINE FIRE COULD RESULT IF NOT PERFORMED!

If it has been performed, check the system for leaks and then proceed futher.

I've actually looked through threads about the recall, but it seemed I came across a very big obstacle/question:

My car has a salvage title, due to previous owner, my father and I bought the car and fixed her up -- good times (not really)

Not too sure if Acura would even consider spending time on it regarding the recall.

Once I obtain my VIN# I will contact them right away.
Leaks, would it be visible to see from the human eye (i.e. on the floor/ground)?

Thanks~
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
1. A1 is just a standard oil change, tire rotation coming due. It comes on at 15% oil life. It's not actually due until oil life reads 0%.

If you go to myacura.com and register, you'll have access to an online version of the owner's manual.

2. As mentioned earlier, there is a safety recall to replace the power steering pump hose. I'm pretty sure that salvage title doesn't affect a safety recall. Not sure, but I believe Acura will still have to do it if you bring it in. Again, registering at myacura.com will tell you if this has been performed on your car. You should also be able to call any Acura dealer, give them your VIN# and they should be able to tell you if the safety recall has been performed.

3. If the recall has been done, then you need to determine why your PS fluid was low. You likely have a leak. Could be as simple as the O-ring, could be a hose or fitting, or at worst a bad PS pump. It's always possible (although extremely rare) that you have no leak and simply needed to add PS fluid.

4. The whir is most likely air introduced into the PS system from it being low on fluid. This could be compounded by a leak and/or bad o-ring. Clear up items 2 and 3 above first.

5. Spend the $$ and buy a hard copy owner's manual.

6. There is also a safety recall for the windshield wiper motor. Check the TSB link (via the sticky at the top of the "Problems" forum.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-16-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
1. A1 is just a standard oil change, tire rotation coming due. It comes on at 15% oil life. It's not actually due until oil life reads 0%.

If you go to myacura.com and register, you'll have access to an online version of the owner's manual.

2. As mentioned earlier, there is a safety recall to replace the power steering pump hose. Again, registering at myacura.com will tell you if this has been performed on your car. You should also be able to call any Acura dealer, give them your VIN# and they should be able to tell you if the safety recall has been performed.

3. If the recall has been done, then you need to determine why your PS fluid was low. You likely have a leak. Could be as simple as the O-ring, could be a hose or fitting, or at worst a bad PS pump. It's always possible (although extremely rare) that you have no leak and simply needed to add PS fluid.

4. The whir is most likely air introduced into the PS system from it being low on fluid. This could be compounded by a leak and/or bad o-ring. Clear up items 2 and 3 above first.

5. Spend the $$ and buy a hard copy owner's manual.
Thanks for the information, I will check on myacura immediately.
Ah~ the hard copy lies somewhere back at home, curiosity got the best of me trying to remember what A1 was. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

It's the hose, it's cost $78 plus installation. Easy fix. Have a great day!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nastinupe
It's the hose, it's cost $78 plus installation. Easy fix. Have a great day!

$78.00 Hose w/ Installation from the Dealer?

I hope that is the problem.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to my local Honda dealer yet, trying to manage my schedule, but thanks!
I will look into that as well.

Also Note:
My car does not have to be moving. The second I turn my wheel in either direction the noise can be heard.

Anyways, I should have time this weekend.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
OH-4

just a note.. i took my 04 in for an oil change and noticed the same noise..more prominent as you turned the steering wheel from left to right.. described it to the acura dude and he said it was a power sterring o ring as well..they fixed it during the oil change and didnt charge me a penny..problem solved
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bwatson3
just a note.. i took my 04 in for an oil change and noticed the same noise..more prominent as you turned the steering wheel from left to right.. described it to the acura dude and he said it was a power sterring o ring as well..they fixed it during the oil change and didnt charge me a penny..problem solved

Just to update:
I did take my car in at the dealers.
Customer Service was excellent.

Pretty sure at the moment they are working on my car. I did not stress about the o-ring or the whining noise because apparently they have been getting a lot of TLs coming in about the same problem so figured it was all related.

When they call back to inform me about my car being completed I will mention those topics. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Had my car returned to me after the recall last night, I must say that the noise has disappeared.
Also a complimentary car wash that makes the car significantly glossier.
What are they using???

Thanks for all your help! Appreciate it
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^most likely a filler wax.

check the invoice to see if they did the o-ring.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
^most likely a filler wax.

check the invoice to see if they did the o-ring.

Yes, that is one of the things I did specify upon picking up the vehicle.

Also apparently there was a wiper motor recall as well.
Don't recall having problems with my windshield wiper but got it over with.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
great ... good to hear u had a good experience with the stealership