'08 Type-S Manual (Heavy Clutch pedal & hard 1st and 2nd engagement)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 Type-S Manual (Heavy Clutch pedal & hard 1st and 2nd engagement)

Hi everyone,

I just bought an 08 Type-S with 104K. I need some help determining what could be the issue with the manual transmission. Don't know how to diagnose manual problems. Dealer thinks it has a racing clutch... but I dont think so.

Issue 1:

Clutch pedal requires a decent amount of pressure to push down.

What can I do to make the clutch pedal lighter and easier to push?

Issue 2:

1st is pretty difficult to engage and also the car jumps back and forth for a second or two when I let go of the clutch like normal, I have to let the clutch out slowly or push the gas harder for it to go into 1st smoother. Also, when going into 2nd the gear feels like it catches harder and little late when you're driving it normal and not pushing the gas hard. Shifting into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th engage perfectly and smoothly.

Does this sound like it needs a clutch replaced? Could it be a performance clutch that the last owner has installed? Is this normal? Maybe I'm not used to the clutch yet?

Issue 3:

Every time you push the clutch pedal down it makes a faint squeaky noise, it annoys the hell out of me.

I'm sure there is a fix for this?

Any advise ore help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is two pics of the car:

Old 02-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
I think you posted this question on another thread? Anyways, the squeaky pedal is from where the clutch master cylinder pushrod interfaces with the pedal inside the car. Some white lithium grease there should help for a while. I'd try replacing/bleeding the old fluid out and see if that helps, otherwise like in my case, a new clutch mc was the cure
Old 02-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
I think you posted this question on another thread? Anyways, the squeaky pedal is from where the clutch master cylinder pushrod interfaces with the pedal inside the car. Some white lithium grease there should help for a while. I'd try replacing/bleeding the old fluid out and see if that helps, otherwise like in my case, a new clutch mc was the cure
Yea the other thread was in regards to the Engine. But, went out yesterday and got some high temp greese from the dealership. Injected it where you said to and the squeaky pedal is gone now. Thanks! Also, I'm going to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder, replace the trans fluid, bleed it. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If the issue continues, do you recommend getting the flywheel replaced as well? That part is like $800

Last edited by alexpapas90; 02-21-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Replacing the clutch MC on these cars is a bit of a PIA due to its location, but if you are pretty handy you should be able to get it done after a few curses
Yeah, if it continues or gets worse I guess a new clutch and flywheel would probably be the solution. A friend of mine also has a 6 MT clutch with a lot of mileage on the original and he gets the tight pedal as well as high rpms. His has been doing it for a few years now and other than that issue it doesn't slip so I guess it can go on for a while.
This place has the OEM flywheel and clutch pretty cheap..

http://www.carolinaclutch.com
Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Replacing the clutch MC on these cars is a bit of a PIA due to its location, but if you are pretty handy you should be able to get it done after a few curses
Yeah, if it continues or gets worse I guess a new clutch and flywheel would probably be the solution. A friend of mine also has a 6 MT clutch with a lot of mileage on the original and he gets the tight pedal as well as high rpms. His has been doing it for a few years now and other than that issue it doesn't slip so I guess it can go on for a while.
This place has the OEM flywheel and clutch pretty cheap..

Carolina Clutch and Performance, Inc: Performance Clutches & Flywheels
Did the bleeding over the weekend, and Man! What a difference! It's a lot easier to engage and all 6 gears shift smoothly. Feels like different car lol. Thank you so much!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Good to hear! That's always a relief when a $4 bottle of fluid fixes a problem
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Good to hear! That's always a relief when a $4 bottle of fluid fixes a problem
UPDATE: So the bleed didnt completly fix the slight lag. And it would still slip in high rpms. FOUND THE PROBLEM THOUGH!

Before i bought the car a few months ago someone must have replaced the Cruse control switch and screwed it in too far in that it didnt allow the clutch to completely engage, hence causing the lag and slipping at high gears.

Damn Trans mechanic said i needed a new clutch and fly wheel!

So if you buy a 6mt and experience a lag in engagement and possible slipping check the clearnce between the clutch pedal and switch.

Last edited by alexpapas90; 05-11-2016 at 10:20 AM.